You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity for Linux

9 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I will state it again: the Linux desktop market is so small that it's not worth worrying about. 

Then why is it that some companies do? Epic, Unity, Adobe, Autodesk, SideFX, The Foundry, Black Magic Design, hell, I could go on...

There's a reason why Microsoft has spent all this time and money building WSL. There is a very lucrative market that is centered on Linux. The question is whether this market will go for the Affinity apps, since they cater to a group not normally represented on the Linux scene.

4 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Some people do not like the truth. I can't help that.

...except you're only sharing your opinion, not absolute fact. The *truth*  is that many in this thread have voiced support for Affinity on Linux. The *truth*  is that Linux is growing in popularity, evidenced by the objective *fact* that big companies like Microsoft, NVidia, and AMD invest engineering effort - which isn't cheap - to support Linux.

And much like you don't care about our position, I see no reason to care about yours. I'll continue to add my voice to the many suggesting Linux support, and maybe next time you can be considerate of the sincere participants and not derail the discussion with more self-aggrandizing "shut up, nobody cares" posts. 

It's ironic you have commented on how self-centered Linux users are. It seems you're the only one making this about you and what you want.

Pink Floyd was right. | Windows 10 · MacOS 10.14 · Arch Linux

5 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

feel free to correct it as necessary.

you shall not. you have already stated your opinions 10+ times very very clearly.

for everyone else: I feel like this discussion has reached where we could just stop replying to them

(as a sidenote I have to say how the insignificant WebKit was literally forked from the insignificantLinux browser's engine: KHTML)

4 minutes ago, m.vlad said:

OK, you're free to leave then

I used to have this cat who had a real spicy attitude. She'd come into a room full of people, flop down, and start rolling around on her back and flirting with everyone, putting all attention on her. But she ALSO liked talking big game and growled and hissed a lot.

If you removed her from the room, she came right back in, demanding attention.

i don't know why that just popped into my head...

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Er, hello. Let me remind you of your facts: Desktop compositing didn't exit in Mac or PC before Linux. Neither did virtual desktops.

Both wrong. It's fine to be wrong, but when somebody points out the truth you should accept it.

sweetie, your position on the relevancy of Linux is an opinion not backed by fact. If you were actually objectively correct, businesses wouldn't be investing millions in desktop Linux support.

Your opinion has been noted and discarded.

4 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Er, hello. Let me remind you of your facts: Desktop compositing didn't exit in Mac or PC before Linux. Neither did virtual desktops.

Turns out none of us were right. The Amiga was the first consumer platform to offer virtual desktops.

The fact that I went out and looked this up makes me feel like a total nerd, and you should be totally ashamed of yourself for doing this to me.

16 minutes ago, ClairelyClaire said:

And you've said this repeatedly. You aren't contributing anything, and I had to turn off notifications on this thread (and I wanted to stay updated) because you cannot stop bleating about how we're barking up a dead tree.

Your opinion has been noted. It has been deemed irrelevant by those of us who care about this subject. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

Then why is it that some companies do? Epic, Unity, Adobe, Autodesk, SideFX, The Foundry, Black Magic Design, hell, I could go on...

There's a reason why Microsoft has spent all this time and money building WSL. There is a very lucrative market that is centered on Linux. The question is whether this market will go for the Affinity apps, since they cater to a group not normally represented on the Linux scene.

3 minutes ago, m.vlad said:

OK, you're free to leave then

There are plenty of us who would like to see Affinity Photo and the two other Affinity softwares made available in native Linux format or via Wine.

Notwithstanding hostile contrarian forces, there is something constructive that we can do right now and that we can ask our contacts to do as well. That is to go over to WineHQ, join it, and then use your 3 casting votes (yes, you get 3!) to vote up Affinity Photo so that it moves up the ranking list to better attract the attention of Wine developers.

The required link is here - https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=39311

I have no idea either. It's not pertinent to Affinity on the Linux desktop.

Nor is your obsession with shutting down this discussion. Oh well!

2 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

Turns out none of us were right. The Amiga was the first consumer platform to offer virtual desktops.

The fact that I went out and looked this up makes me feel like a total nerd, and you should be totally ashamed of yourself for doing this to me.

this is the best possible outcome 🤣🤣 

Just now, LondonSquirrel said:

Before Xerox?

The Xerox Parc OS wasn't really a consumer product. It cost beaucoup bucks, and was only sold to a select few companies.

...but yeah, you can pretty much trace almost all of modern computing to Xerox Parc.

Finally a constructive comment... Well done. Wine might be the way to get Affinity running on Linux. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

we've been talking about wine support from the start. Your self-righteous arrogance seems to have  blinded you to the actual discussion going on in between your hot takes.

I know that. I'm refuting the idea that Linux 'invented' virtual desktops, which is entirely untrue.

You could argue it was the first still extant OS to offer it. Windows didn't have built in support for virtual desktops until Win10, and Apple didn't offer it until, I think, OSX 10.4. Unix did have it before Linux, but since there's so much blending between the 'nix's, it's mostly an academic point.

1 minute ago, Renzatic said:

You could argue it was the first still extant OS to offer it. Windows didn't have built in support for virtual desktops until Win10, and Apple didn't offer it until, I think, OSX 10.4. Unix did have it before Linux, but since there's so much blending between the 'nix's, it's mostly an academic point.

from Wikipedia:

"Switchable desktops were introduced to a much larger audience by Tom LaStrange in swm (the Solbourne Window Manager, for the X Window System) in 1989."

sooo it came to X... Which drives the Linux desktop environment. 🤦

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Incorrect. The very first post opening this thread: make a version for linux?

The response from Affinity was that it would be possible if they could cover their development costs (by people buying Linux versions).

The next response is somebody suggesting the use of Wine.

The response from Affinity is: 'WINE is a wonderful project, but I don't think it would work for Affinity...'

You may think this thread is about using Affinity apps on Linux with Wine, but it negated in the first few comments on this thread.

I brought up wine weeks ago. Others have as well. It's been discussed and could have been discussed further, but your need to center the discussion instead on you and your opinion has defeated such potential.

We could discuss it now, but you still need attention, so I guess that's the theme of the thread now.

For the sake of this thread and the discussion we're trying to have, I think it would be much better if we could all simply ignore this fella, who clearly has no constructive intentions. Thank you :)

6 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

I'd heart you, but it looks like reached my daily limit of hearts.

i used to refer to spaghetti as "abiki" when i was still learning  to talk.

one day, my brother very snottily corrected me. "it's not abiki, it's PA-SKETTI"

can't think for the life of me why that popped into my head just now.

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Linux came to the world in 1991... Linux did not bring virtual desktops to the world. 

You get right down to it, Unix and Linux can just about be considered the same thing, since the later is (or was) practically a 1:1 clone of the former. Technically, you're correct, but it's a technicality made through the barest splitting of a single hair.

Just now, Renzatic said:

You get right down to it, Unix and Linux can just about be considered the same thing, since the later is (or was) practically a 1:1 clone of the former. Technically, you're correct, but it's a technicality made through the barest splitting of a single hair.

a distinction without a difference.

Just now, ClairelyClaire said:

i used to refer to spaghetti as "abiki" when i was still learning  to talk.

one day, my brother very snottily corrected me. "it's not abiki, it's PA-SKETTI"

can't think for the life of me why that popped into my head just now.

If it makes you feel better, I thought a flyswatter was called a flas-water until I was about 10.

1 minute ago, Renzatic said:

If it makes you feel better, I thought a flyswatter was called a flas-water until I was about 10.

i still say "wonton" instead of "wanton" 🤣

Just now, LondonSquirrel said:

A distinction which negates your statement.

nah, your opinion is moo.