You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity for Linux

Just now, LondonSquirrel said:

Hahaha. You are having a joke, aren't you. 

Desktop compositing didn't exit in Mac or PC before Linux. Neither did virtual desktops.

You asked for features. These are two features which have become central to modern desktop OSes.

If you don't like the examples given, that's on you.

Pink Floyd was right. | Windows 10 · MacOS 10.14 · Arch Linux

Because you said that everyone is copying everyone else, whereas I said that Linux copies everyone else and not the other way round. It's called refuting an argument.

I never made the claim they copied from Linux.  So why should I defend it?

Nonsense! Go and look up Xerox PARC Rooms. Try again with your two examples. So far you have a 100% failure rate.

I know you need to believe your narrative, and it doesn't matter what evidence anyone offers. You will insist you're right, and that you're the expert.

But I think we've all gotten the message loud and clear. Nobody has been an arrogant ass about Linux in here but you. Nobody has acted as though the world revolves around them but you.

It's just too bad you have some sort of compulsion to inject yourself into a discussion about which you have nothing useful to contribute.

11 minutes ago, ClairelyClaire said:

ARM is an architecture, not a specific brand, OEM, or product.

lmao you're so full of it it's funny

There is ARM Holdings, which owns the core IP and basic instruction set for the architecture. In practice, it's somewhat like a consortium, with other companies sitting on the board of directors, buying licenses to manufacture their own chips, and adding to the design.

If Nvidia does buy ARM, they can't do anything to keep Apple from using and building upon their ARM chips, though Apple may be obligated to disclose any additions or tweaks they've made to it, which Nvidia and other licensees can later use for themselves.

Linux is a kernel, it's not a virtual desktop provider. 

We're talking about a comprehensive desktop operating system here, and you know it.

Your intellectual dishonesty is stubborn, I'll give you that.

4 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Another example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swm from 1989 had virtual desktops, two years before Linux was even released! At least try to know your argument before putting it.

Yes, and SWM is totally what made the feature usable and mainstream enough for the big guys (Mac and Windows) to adopt it! 🙄

6 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

There is ARM Holdings, which owns the core IP and basic instruction set for the architecture. In practice, it's somewhat like a consortium, with other companies sitting on the board of directors, buying licenses to manufacture their own chips, and adding to the design.

If Nvidia does buy ARM, they can't do anything to keep Apple from using and building upon their ARM chips, though Apple may be obligated to disclose any additions or tweaks they've made to it, which Nvidia and other licensees can later use for themselves.

Thanks for clarifying.

It'll be interesting to see how ARM evolves.

Qualcomm is unbelievably possessive about their ARM IP, so Nvidia or not, there's still going to be competition. I also don't know that Nvidia is inclined to turn it into a greedy moneygrab, or if they'll go the AMD route (e.g. with AMD64) and make the spec freely available.

4 minutes ago, ClairelyClaire said:

We're talking about a comprehensive desktop operating system here, and you know it.

Your intellectual dishonesty is stubborn, I'll give you that.

Your words: Desktop compositing didn't exit in Mac or PC before Linux. Neither did virtual desktops.

Entirely wrong. Yet you accuse me of dishonesty. Shameful.

1 minute ago, B-Interactive said:

I'm comfortable with rigorous debate, but we're not even debating about the merits of "Affinity for Linux" anymore.

Agreed. My final take on this is that Affinity on Linux is a non-starter. The market is just not there. If it was there, Adobe would be there.

3 minutes ago, B-Interactive said:

we're not even debating about the merits of "Affinity for Linux" anymore.

@LondonSquirrel this forum post was about the possibilities of a Linux version of Affinity software and ways to run it on Linux with WINE+ the compatibility issues, not to shit on the Linux community. I don't care how much you hate Linux and what do you think about it's users at all

Please just let others discuss these issues/possibilites in our 'alternative universe'.

2 minutes ago, B-Interactive said:

I'm comfortable with rigorous debate, but we're not even debating about the merits of "Affinity for Linux" anymore.

Yup. It's pretty much turned into a usual internet argument, when the person on the losing end goes from trying to argue a point, to scrambling to look right.

I mean, if he really wanted to go for the throat, he could say that all these things started out on Unix first, which were then easily ported over to Linux, which were copied by Windows, and eventually snapped up by NeXt from the 'nix scene, and later incorporated into Apple, but, you know...

He's just kinda spinning his tires to kick up mud by this point.

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Agreed. My final take on this is that Affinity on Linux is a non-starter. The market is just not there. If it was there, Adobe would be there.

Sadly, it seems it's not worth it for the developers because of the low  market share.

But I'm still looking forward if the System.NotImplementedException errors ect. will se a fix from Wine or Affinity in the future

1 minute ago, Renzatic said:

Yup. It's pretty much turned into a usual internet argument, when the person on the losing end goes from trying to argue a point, to scrambling to look right.

You could not back up anything you wrote with a single valid argument. It's not my problem, it's a general problem in the Linux 'community'.