You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity for Linux

2 hours ago, MeatRadiator said:

maybe private people just wonna be private at home and avoid spyware OS's.

Most private people don't care!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

15 hours ago, MeatRadiator said:

Your are right by being wrong mate. Most people don't understand what privacy means because most people aren't taught. By the way IanSG, would you like to see Affinity ported to linux?

True, but characterising  (I assume) WIndows and MacOS as spyware OSs is a bit extreme in my view - it almost suggests there's no point in learning since the big boys will get you anyway.

Would I like to see Affinity ported to Linux?  I'd want to see the price first!  There are too many things I'd prioritise higher (a DAM, regular updates, timely support, low cost etc) - TANSTAAFL!

On 5/10/2020 at 2:08 PM, IanSG said:

True, but characterising  (I assume) WIndows and MacOS as spyware OSs is a bit extreme in my view - it almost suggests there's no point in learning since the big boys will get you anyway.

Fear of the big bad guys. Q, Trump and many others are working on that right now. What I mean is that nobody in there core wants to have a stalker following them around, is just that most don't know how easy it is to get your digital privacy back and that is sad because its hurts everybody instead. It would of course have been better if Gates and the Apple folk just did the right thing to begin with, but that is an entire topic in itself and properly not for this forum.

On 5/10/2020 at 2:08 PM, IanSG said:

Would I like to see Affinity ported to Linux?  I'd want to see the price first!  There are too many things I'd prioritise higher (a DAM, regular updates, timely support, low cost etc) - TANSTAAFL!

I see.. Do you work on linux or just windows? What price are you refer to? The price of porting the software or buying it?

1 hour ago, MeatRadiator said:

I see.. Do you work on linux or just windows? What price are you refer to? The price of porting the software or buying it?

I get where are you going, but it's not a good assuming that everyone will be willing to pay a premium to have a software on Linux. We are not Mac users.

1 hour ago, MeatRadiator said:

I use both.

TANSTAAFL = There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.  If Serif port their products to another platform it will inevitably have an impact on things I care about much more than just being able to to run them on a new platform - a DAM, regular updates, timely support, low cost etc. That's the price I'm concerned about.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 4:04 PM, IanSG said:

I use both.

TANSTAAFL = There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.  If Serif port their products to another platform it will inevitably have an impact on things I care about much more than just being able to to run them on a new platform - a DAM, regular updates, timely support, low cost etc. That's the price I'm concerned about.

I understand but I don't agree! I have personally moved all machines from windows to elementary OS. I don't see any but one reason why I need windows or apple, and that is Designer and Photo. It is sad but true that the linux community has not created a nice fill in to replace Adobe or Serif products yet. For me, it's not about the money. We are just not supporting bad actors like Gates and Apple anymore!

On 5/31/2020 at 11:19 PM, MeatRadiator said:

We are just not supporting bad actors like Gates and Apple anymore!

A huge portion of the industry does, tho. So much that is an entire environment of tools, workflows, clients and companies deeply tied to these two OSes, the entire problem is not just 2 or 3 lonely apps (there a lot more specialized tools lacking) being ported. Leaving aside that Gates is not directing MS since a while. Since this year, not even in the boards, as he wanted to dedicate more time to his philanthropic activities. Plus, the man ain't no evil. More likely I might end up seeing the problem partially solved from inside (true open source of REAL high quality like Blender and Krita, Gimp now improving faster, etc). The Windows and Mac commercial software devs, at least in what is graphic tools, usually have much lower motivation for that move (and typically they have a lot to cover already).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 5/31/2020 at 10:19 PM, MeatRadiator said:

I understand but I don't agree!

Fair enough!  What's the basis for you disagreeing - how can Serif produce and support a Linux version without impacting the things I'm concerned about?

On 6/1/2020 at 10:51 PM, IanSG said:

Fair enough!  What's the basis for you disagreeing - how can Serif produce and support a Linux version without impacting the things I'm concerned about?

There are many ways for Serif to do that. First they don't need to publish the newest versions or all the products for the smaller linux community every time they patch. Their workflow can be improved so porting to multiple OS's don't hinder them in developing new features. People need to eat and there is a cost to that of course. If their code is a mess then the cost will increase. I personally don't believe the coders within Serif are that bad mate. I trust that the price will stay about the same, if not the same, if the porting is done smart!

On 6/1/2020 at 3:25 PM, SrPx said:

Plus, the man ain't no evil.

SrPx do u know what COVID19 really is? Do you know of ID2020, Event 201, Agenda 21, The Blue Church, Q, Vaxxed, Out Of The Shadows, Deep State. Who is the head of WHO? and I could go on and on..
That man is very very bad mate!

Edited by Leigh
Removed links. Please keep in topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Please let's not stray from the topic. YES please make a Linux distro. Commercial or free you will see it used everywhere if you make it. As for $500,000? Um...I'm a Software Systems Engineer, UNIX Network Admin, IT Director, and Cyber Security Professional and I have worked on some pretty complicated software that cost nowhere NEAR that to make...

5 minutes ago, hwac121 said:

Please let's not stray from the topic. YES please make a Linux distro. Commercial or free you will see it used everywhere if you make it. As for £398581.00 ($500,000)? Um...I'm a Software Systems Engineer, UNIX Network Admin, IT Director, and Cyber Security Professional and I have worked on some pretty complicated software that cost nowhere NEAR that to make...

I think you mean "make a linux version". a "linux distro" refers to a linux distribution, and it's the ubuntu's and arch's of the world. they don't need to make a separate distro, just make the app compatible with ubuntu or something and people can repackage it then to work for different distros

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

I went from Windows 2k to Linux and quite soon to OSX. When Apple refused to give me further updates to my Mac Pro I moved back to Linux again. I'm happy now, a lot has changed in the last decade(s) and still I'm free to do whatever I want.

The only thing I miss is Designer ... that's all, for every other program I found a better or at least proper replacement. I still hope there will be a native Linux version one day, but from what I have read here this seems to be impossible: the 500k to cover the development is a fine excuse, roughly 9100 sold licences would cover that. Hard to believe those won't be sold, in my surroundings roughly 30 people would buy that immediately for their home PCs.

Pity for us and pity for you, as you loose the chance to be the number one choice when it comes to graphics software for every Linux user.

On 6/3/2020 at 3:22 AM, justajeffy said:

Please don't.  It would be very nice if this conversation remained focused on the original topic.

The man needed an answer mate but of course I agree.

Do any of guys know how to get Designer to work on Ubuntu or eOS? Right now we are using VM software but the speed is just not the same!? Windows / Mac OS outside VMware isn't an option. Any ideas?

11 hours ago, paole said:

I went from Windows 2k to Linux and quite soon to OSX. When Apple refused to give me further updates to my Mac Pro I moved back to Linux again. I'm happy now, a lot has changed in the last decade(s) and still I'm free to do whatever I want.

The only thing I miss is Designer ... that's all, for every other program I found a better or at least proper replacement. I still hope there will be a native Linux version one day, but from what I have read here this seems to be impossible: the 500k to cover the development is a fine excuse, roughly 9100 sold licences would cover that. Hard to believe those won't be sold, in my surroundings roughly 30 people would buy that immediately for their home PCs.

Pity for us and pity for you, as you loose the chance to be the number one choice when it comes to graphics software for every Linux user.

We agree!

On 6/3/2020 at 10:14 AM, Leigh said:

^This. Please keep it on topic 👀

I'm not sorry for making the search as easy as possible Leigh #link-remover.

It is sad but true. If you guys don't understand why to be on Linux than the porting will never happen it seems from the comments above. It is the topic isn't it!

On 5/10/2020 at 1:08 PM, IanSG said:

True, but characterising  (I assume) WIndows and MacOS as spyware OSs is a bit extreme in my view

Maybe they are not spyware but 100% they do are very dictatorship! What about investing money in hardware that after a software update you can't use anymore? Check Nvidia case if you want to understand! Both Windows and MacOS are not viable OS-es regarding of future! Yes, they are nice ones but definitely not future proof!

• 3 weeks later...

I am surprised by such a strong declaration that there are no plans for Linux version. The people of Serif have created software against Adobe mainstream. It worked. Why not go one step further? Sometimes you have to throw a coin behind your back to see what happens. I understand that Serif is a commercial venture and is supposed to earn money, but as they have proven by creating their programs, stereotypes can be broken by setting new trends. Maybe it's time to think about Linux? Valve decided on Linux a few years ago and is consistently developing this branch. This gives them an area of independence in case of hostile Microsoft moves. In their case, entering the world of Linux was a response to Microsoft's threats of restricting the ability to install third party software. Everything would go through Microsoft certification, of course, paid. I'm not going to teach business people from such a large company, but from observing the Linux market, the huge promotion of its potential on Youtube, you can think that the number of users is growing and will keep growing.
I support the idea of creating a Linux version. If that is not possible, then at least allow Affinity to be installed via Wine.

47 minutes ago, Konrad Ch. said:

I am surprised by such a strong declaration that there are no plans for Linux version. The people of Serif have created software against Adobe mainstream. It worked. Why not go one step further? Sometimes you have to throw a coin behind your back to see what happens. I understand that Serif is a commercial venture and is supposed to earn money, but as they have proven by creating their programs, stereotypes can be broken by setting new trends. Maybe it's time to think about Linux? Valve decided on Linux a few years ago and is consistently developing this branch. This gives them an area of independence in case of hostile Microsoft moves. In their case, entering the world of Linux was a response to Microsoft's threats of restricting the ability to install third party software. Everything would go through Microsoft certification, of course, paid. I'm not going to teach business people from such a large company, but from observing the Linux market, the huge promotion of its potential on Youtube, you can think that the number of users is growing and will keep growing.
I support the idea of creating a Linux version. If that is not possible, then at least allow Affinity to be installed via Wine.

Such strong declarations indeed...

On 6/18/2020 at 9:52 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Just for clarity, Linux is not a part of our 1.x development plans, but we are not saying "never".

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

I switched from Windows to Linux full time since it's so much easier to do my work with, also because it feels like I'm free to use my computer however I like. I'm working a huge social VR platform that requires attention to so many separate parts and using Affinity Designer was really important for me. I've designed our entire brand using it and since I switched I've basically stopped using it entirely. I'm using other software like GIMP and Inkscape, and whilst GIMP is okay, I have a very hard time with Inkscape. Affinity Designer is one of my most favorite programs...

I'm just really disappointed. Affinity products are already cross platform? I know the Windows version uses DirectX but the Mac version either uses OpenGL or Metal. I don't understand.

Working on software with Linux is so much easier and more fun than doing it on Windows or Mac. There must be developers at Affinity that wish they could use a better operating system for their development work. At least that's how it is for my company and I. We have first class Linux support on our program simply because our developers are more comfortable with it than developing on Windows. But we do have a couple of Windows and Mac devs and QA of course.

Affinity Designer is on Lutris here: https://lutris.net/games/af

It uses DXVK but I haven't been able to try it because it's taking too long to download and install Wine dependencies.

Please support Linux. It's so important that your developers feel comfortable using their computer and for Linux adoption.

Just to give one more voice for a Linux version.

I dropped Adobe when they went rental, and was one early adopter of Photo and Designer, they were not perfected and I missed some of the functions I used. I work as  Technical Director on my own company, and before work as a Tech Artist on a Archviz company. Since I started my business I try to be as open as possible to allow dropping Windows all together, we use Houdini, Blender (before was 3dsMax and Maya), Fusion and Resolve, and Unreal and Unity3D. Right now the only missing key is either supporting proper wine for Photo/Designer, since I ran them on a VM with some other software that is required from time to time.

Just to give one more voice for a Linux version.

I dropped Adobe when they went rental, and was one early adopter of Photo and Designer, they were not perfected and I missed some of the functions I used. I work as  Technical Director on my own company, and before work as a Tech Artist on a Archviz company. Since I started my business I try to be as open as possible to allow dropping Windows all together, we use Houdini, Blender (before was 3dsMax and Maya), Fusion and Resolve, and Unreal and Unity3D. Right now the only missing key is either supporting proper wine for Photo/Designer, since I ran them on a VM with some other software that is required from time to time.