You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity for Linux

36 minutes ago, Aut said:

With crowd sourcing then that is ~12,000 backers to break-even, or the same number over the course of a Beta release cycle? Sounds do-able, if not exactly short-term profitable. I tried to to find stats on GIMP usage (PPA download stats). I found this article from a Swiss journalist, which is of interest:

https://publisher.ch/fachzeitschrift_detail.php?read_article=9590

It's been brought up before, 500 000 was an estimate for 2014, that amount would have raised considerably by now (we didn't get a number anymore, probably because it's not a cost issue anymore, it's a dev availability issue)

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

• 4 weeks later...

So,

It took a lot of time but at least for me it does not work. 

I was able to install all the needed things for Lutris, then also the .NET packages etc. for Affinity and finally to run the Designer 1.7.3. installer which successfully finished. The problem started with the License Agreement window which was complete black first and somehow I was able to "uncover" some parts and half blindly to check the agreement box and the button to accept. I also got the splashcreen of the Designer but nothing else... 

I did not restart my PC yet so I will retry next time again to see if anything changed.

😞 

Affinity_01.png.2deb14efd4256dbe736567540b3f3a03.png

Affinity_02.png.e64c5b2fc00122495a1e712e15b0f01c.png

Affinity_03.png.258be3a651d4d55d23f3cb680362c4ca.png

Affinity_04.png.3250df028411367635a0024eb61a2e01.png

Affinity_05.png.dcb827f255d7026896bbd5b519cfc3e0.png

Affinity_06.png.2d46a30c019102e99f394bc72084e749.png

Affinity_07.png.0b0f7c0d8bc6d17fc1ea72f5c193c47f.png

Affinity_08.png.9cb9455d942e8894f301c0638d79247f.png

18 hours ago, Juhele said:

It took a lot of time but at least for me it does not work. 

I have the same experience as you. I manage to get past everything, but then at the final splash screen, nothing else happens.

The Lutris Wine log (button on the right panel) shows the following:

Call from 0x7b02cd16 to unimplemented function mscms.dll.WcsGetDefaultColorProfileSize, aborting

This was supposedly fixed in wine 5.2 but my Lutrix installer seems to download Wine 5.0. I wonder if the current install script actually works for anyone, or if this is just an experiment.

2 minutes ago, m.vlad said:

https://fonts.google.com/analytics
Slightly unrelated analytics, but look at the Operating Systems part.

vivaldi_cYTM2ccHMV.png.e08a43cb3444184b5c1828ac56bc811a.png

The OS stats include web servers. What do you expect? There are more linux servers serving google fonts to the web. So what? It really has little to nothing to do with the point of the thread.

I personally think Serif should enter the Linux market. They should at least do a real cost/benefit analysis...if they haven't already.

9 minutes ago, Redsandro said:

Off-topic here, but that's not accurate. fonts.google.com is the web-server. It's a CDN. Those requests come from real user agents.

I don't see Android there, so that might be identified as Linux, but web servers have nothing to do with this.

Cute vid. Unless you can show me download statistics versus web-served font stats (which is what  your statistics are), you are incorrect. 

But even so, even with download stats of desktop fonts by OS, it will include the web/woff format which people use to self-host.

Either way, any of the stats mean nothing, prove/show nothing relevant, to the thread's request to make a Linux version.

16 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Cute vid. Unless you can show me download statistics versus web-served font stats (which is what your statistics are), you are incorrect.

But even so, even with download stats of desktop fonts by OS, it will include the web/woff format which people use to self-host.

Either way, any of the stats mean nothing, prove/show nothing relevant, to the thread's request to make a Linux version.

A lot of people use google fonts in their designs, a popular app for that is FontBase, which also has a linux version. Now I'm not saying they're the only way to get google fonts on linux, nor the main way, but if the statistics do in fact relate to linux users, then it would also imply linux is a big user of fonts

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

14 minutes ago, m.vlad said:

A lot of people use google fonts in their designs, a popular app for that is FontBase, which also has a linux version. Now I'm not saying they're the only way to get google fonts on linux, nor the main way, but if the statistics do in fact relate to linux users, then it would also imply linux is a big user of fonts

How so? How are you separating the stats from desktop versus web use? I cannot find any way to separate them from each other...but I can guarantee you that web use of Google fonts via Linux/Windows servers far outstrip desktop OS usage regardless of desktop OS.

Which is why I think throwing these meaningless stats at Serif is counter-productive.

45 minutes ago, MikeW said:

web-served font stats (which is what  your statistics are)

6 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I can guarantee you that web use of Google fonts via Linux/Windows servers far outstrip desktop OS usage regardless of desktop OS.

While you are right that the statistics have no real relevance in this discussion, I think you misunderstand what these statistics are.

The servers you mention are irrelevant. The statistics 100% show users/clients, not web-servers. The fonts are popular as a CDN (content-delivery-network). If you "use" this on your webserver, it means you point to it on your webserver. The client still downloads it from their desktop or mobile, which generates the statistics. So all statistics are end users, none are webservers.

The reason that you are right about the relevance is because Linux includes Android (mobile).

But the servers are still involved in fetching and, well, serving the woffs.

If those statistics meant desktop OS, then Linux desktop client OS far outstrip every other OS. The Linux desktop OS just isn't that large.

I'll just leave this thread alone now. At least for a while...

As an ex web designer (stopped it years ago).. .could it be that most of those are web designers, digging for a font for their site, web apps or mobile app , I mean, they are searching for fonts while designing their site/app using web dev languages ? as the majority of that folk ( I was almost an exception, hated Windows user) tend to be linux based, as, dealing so much with linux web servers, it just makes sense for the workflows, less context change. Even more today, when web designers are other thing (not really graphic designers able to code, as was before...so...fewer graphic grunts like me using Adobe or the like, tied to Windows/Mac due to that, or per choice.We're now more in other areas) , and is all mostly about web devs mounting sites with frameworks, even if following some UX/UI person's prototypes. And even those are often using Figma (using whatever the platform). Or Sketch from their mac, but even if doing so, yet the web developer needs the specified font. And IMO there are a ton more coders than UX/UI experts. Which often are not really graphic designers anymore. I mean, they don't really need PS to make a "high fidelity" graphic (they do the low fidelity ones, they build the wireframes), that's a (dirty?) task for the "visual designer". So, they can very well be platform agnostic. The graphic grunts... we really can't :).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 3 weeks later...
Just contacted Serif  with text below - they responded with link to this thread.

Run from DVD PhotoPlus-X4 would not load under ubuntu or Trisquel - gnuLinux wine programme installer.
Downloaded Affinity 1.8.0 would not load under ubuntu or Trisquel - gnuLinux wine programme installer.
Thank goodness PhotoPlus9 from CD loads up and works just fine on both ubuntu or Trisquel - gnuLinux under wine.
So does PagePlus10 on Trisquelgnulinux. Still have Win3.1 version Publishing Power-Suite!
Phew 😍

Have money waiting to buy Affinity if you could assist winehq org to enable rather than hinder? 😉
$500,000 🙄
I have Win10 dual boot ubuntu 16.04 for now on my faster Dell Latitude Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.8GHz x 4 with 7.7GiB RAM.
Planning on deleting Win10 as it has not been used for 12 months and perhaps replace ubuntu with Trisquel.
Thanks to all who have worked so hard and spent so much time on this subject.
PhotoPlusEasy-01.png.a3b3f1b72d50c22eb2c297c85de324e5.png
PagePlusVal-Templt-01.png.402cc7cfe7df02a38800870d6def6b51.png
The solution is above my pay grade but hope you guys will find a solution that can be implemented by myself

I just noticed that the two Linux threads on this forum (this thread: "Affinity for Linux" and the other, similarly named, "Affinity Products for Linux")  each dwarf the activity of all other threads by a long shot (the only other thread in the neighborhood is "Sneak Peak at 1.7").  Look not only at the number of replies (which is significant and substantially outranks the other threads) but, even more impossing, the number of views.  As I have mentioned before, you see the same thing happening on Adobe's user forum.  It's been like this for some time.

As far as we know, both Adobe and Affinity still see it the same way.  Linux's marketshare is not worth their time.

So...

The forums aren't working.  I remember reading somewhere in my internet travelers (might have been this thread?) someone talking about their inside experience with a tech company in which the going-ons of the forums hardly reached supervisor level attention, let alone executives who make decisions.

I'm at a loss of how to proceed.  Petitions have never gotten much traction (with the pitiful response they have traditionally had, compared to enthusiasm I've seen elsewhere, I wonder if the problem was more about getting the petition seen, rather than lack of interest - might be time to consider another one - if we can get it into the hands of the right blogger / influencer - but you'd have to get millions of signatures, not thousands).  If I had the connections, the experience, the knowledge,  I'd foolishly consider trying to find the capital to build the alternative myself  (if I didn't, also, realize that it has taken decades for Adobe and Affinity to get their software to were it is now).    My only thought now, is to start imploring everyone who wants to pay good money for this, to begin donating to Krita (and others) and try to help them do to graphic design what Blender did for 3D.  That, at this point, I think is our best hope.  They already have the momentum, they just need more support (while they do get donations -if you follow their website,- the financial support they get from month to month is pretty in-substantial - and yet they still do wonders with it). 

I think a lot of the people who come to this thread are well aware of the catch-22 that Linux is caught in, in regards to market share/availability of commercial software), and how this single cause (getting a fully developed graphics / content developer sweet available for the platform), could potentially change the entire playing field for Linux desktop at large.

But, we remain stuck.

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Dradis said:

Any suggestions?

A couple of options:
A) The most realistic approach, wait for Wine or D9VK to implement the API functions that are needed to run Affinity on linux (Afaik we're pretty close, as the app can be opened, though the making of new documents and the like is still quite finicky)
B) The least realistic approach, ask Serif to use alternate APIs that are already compatible either directly or via a compatibility layer on linux.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

7 hours ago, m.vlad said:

A couple of options:
B) The least realistic approach, ask Serif to use alternate APIs that are already compatible either directly or via a compatibility layer on linux.

I think that's the second most realistic approach.

One developer at Serif (forgot the username) is/was a Linux user themselves. They are probably aware of the massive new developments in WINE concerning OpenGL, Direct3D 12, Vulkan3D. I imagine if they figured out it's technically possible to make a lot of people happy by making a slight change in the Windows version, they would.

Third option is they start working on a Linux version. The time they said "not now, maybe later" is what, 3 years old? Later is now. Perhaps we can ask @Andy Somerfield or @TonyB if new developments or this ongoing thread in the background has changed their perspective or ambitions at all.

26 minutes ago, j0e.org said:

Ask the Linux Foundation

Just to stop the confusion before it starts: The Linux Foundation promotes commercial adoption of open source software and free standards. Affinity products are the exact opposite of what would meet these standards. Examples are Node.js, Embedded Linux and Tizen.

8 minutes ago, j0e.org said:

they try that since 20 years with no success.

False. Node.js developers were the most sought after backend developers in 2019. It is a huge success story.

12 minutes ago, j0e.org said:

Linux is still an alien on the desktop, because of the lack of good software.

True, but the first battle is won. Linux now supports far more games than OSX through new developments. It's starting to rival Windows.

13 minutes ago, j0e.org said:

The free software enthusiasts killed Linux.

False. Ask Red Hat Enterprise Linux what they and their billions of revenue think about free software.

I understand your frustration but please don't spread misinformation.

8 minutes ago, Redsandro said:

False. Node.js developers were the most sought after backend developers in 2019. It is a huge success story.

Sure, JavaScript is growing. But not Linux.

9 minutes ago, Redsandro said:

It's starting to rival Windows.

lol, déjà vu :D

10 minutes ago, Redsandro said:

False. Ask Red Hat Enterprise Linux what they and their billions of revenue think about free software.

I understand your frustration but please don't spread misinformation.

Man, I am talking only about Linux on desktop. Linux enthusiasts don't like closed software like Affinity. They like to make thousands of different distributions, which all are the same but not compatible to each other. Wine works also against Linux. All that prevents Linux to grow on the desktop.

You need 2 steps to grow Linux:

1) Focus on only 1 or 2 distributions; with one standard

2) Support software companies to bring their professional software native to Linux.