You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity for Linux

With the upcoming Windows 365, there will be yet another subscription  to deal with.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3328537/microsoft-windows/microsoft-may-pitch-windows-10-subscriptions-at-consumers.html
I think time is ripe for Serif to secure and collect the money of the customers by making the Affinity Product line compatible with CentOS and Ubuntu like other commercial developers already do with their programs.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

10 hours ago, SrPx said:

Still there is the monthly (for ever) subscription vs purchase issue...

I would pay the subscription to have a professional grafix solution on Linux.

Linux is the perfect platform for developers. Most developers goes only with MacOS, because there is no proper UX tool for Linux.

Actually, I would not pay a subscription (it's 60 - 50 bucks, depending on country, if just willing to have a vector and a raster app, for example if not needing an After effects, Animate CC, premiere, etc...and it's for ever, every month...no matter what....) in Linux (neither in Windows, Mac, BeOS, Nintendo64... ) But a purchasable license of Affinity in Linux....Maybe. Heck, if hadn't other large bills to pay, I'd buy all the current work books, even if never ever using them, just as a very symbolic/irrelevant "vote" for Serif. I see a Linux version as a good thing, just I can't see any strong data for it being a solid business option (for Serif! Linux is strong in many business areas, don't take me wrong...), if we compare the numbers got when investing in the other 2 platforms. If at some point Serif is offered a great alliance with some big entity(/s) from the Linux world, and that meaning a huge financing drop of cash (or a several years agreement between firms) for it... you'll hear me clapping, not the opposite... II might got back to my dual boot habit. Till then, is fantasy, imo. A great literary genre, BTW.  ;)

EDIT: Scratched all what needed to be, after the myclay's link... I might be going into my mid forties crisis, lol, or sth... but I am starting to see in MS latest moves a way of the Dodo, or just willing to replicate Adobe's moves....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

10 hours ago, myclay said:

With the upcoming Windows 365, there will be yet another subscription  to deal with.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3328537/microsoft-windows/microsoft-may-pitch-windows-10-subscriptions-at-consumers.html
I think time is ripe for Serif to secure and collect the money of the customers by making the Affinity Product line compatible with CentOS and Ubuntu like other commercial developers already do with their programs.

Geez, Myclay....thanx for that link...

CRAP. (yeah, not censoring my self with the number "4", this time. The occasion deserves it.) . And the real word in my mind begins with F...

My bad. Lost so much interest on MS, that I am not reading news about it anymore... 

Ok. Is the wise man he who rectifies, they say. Am going Linux. Lol.  xD

As I always said, those of us with a nice deal of expertise with Linux and (more importantly) the apps more or less usable in Linux, count on an advantage...

U can scratch 50% of what I've said till now if they don't do the 365 cr4p as they've done with their Office ( which is ok for me). If they do like with office, well, is how Adobe SHOULD have made it and would not have taken a single complaint by a large portion of humanity... An option, not the greedy only path. I'm afraid... Am not as optimistic. If we look at recent times disaster, the updates chaos and fatal errors are signs of a company willing to kill and self destruct and entire line... To get everyone and their dog into subscriptions. Well, FOSS, open source people, u got it. U and the clever underdog (Serif?) who still sees a large piece of the cake in doing business with the millions of users not willing/being able to sustain subscriptions.

I mean, here one could be naive thinking MS only plans this as an option, leaving (as certain faq says) always available the purchasable, non updated option.

Ppl is going to warez Windows 20x times more that till date, that's for sure... Which is the way of the Dodo, anyway, at least for ppl doing freelancing, or actual work of any kind...

So... Dunno, maybe MS is full of such good people, that their main desire is people be happy, and they know they only will be in a Mac environment or in Linux.

LOL, I was trying to see the moment to move from my licensed Windows 7 to 10...Now I think I wont. Even past the support time (there are ways to secure a system). And/or at some point when I see Linux having enough software, or being....certain enough...that Apple is not (IMO is also doing very strange things lately) really planning to finally trash their entire desktop and laptops line, to move to the iPads and "stuff"....If I see really convincing signs that that is not happening, I might get me a Mac....

Or said in other way : The moment I see the Windows 365 as a solid reality, freakin' subscription-only, and regular purchase-only windows line closing, I "close the window".  (sorry for the immensely terrible joke).

Soon we're gonna be renting the oxygen, too....

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

10 hours ago, myclay said:

Note that the article title/headline is misleading, as the subscription is not for Windows 10 itself but for Office.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

Completely independent to all this... in my family, I have a history of trying my people to use Linux, but SOLELY to save 'em money, no passion included...I have not been lucky with my two sisters. One has the laptop I gifted her, running a Win10, very well and no probs, same with the other sister. I had her put several distros, but sooner or later asks to get her windows back... With my father I had luck, tho. Being the less computer savvy one, guess what, he got comfortable with Libre Office.  But my mother (they're both of certain age, but quite good with technology) told me it had to be MS Office yes or yes. So I could get her a non 365 version, purchase only for 135 bucks and get done with it for another 15 years... like the 2003 has served so well.... Guess I might be wrong, if MS keeps their weird plans.... The single different thing in her machine is that although she loves IE, now likes more Mozilla Firefox...Which I installed there a while ago.

So, this not being the only sample I have, (it's friends, work, etc...) while I always found Linux easy for a geek, it wrecks with a lot of the average users yet (this includes the average pro not systems geeky) , and so, Houston, we have yet there a problem, as they keep rejecting it, immediately of after months of use... The Linux issues don't disappear no matter how much MS and Apple ( it does, too... big obsolescence forced by updates, embedding intel 9900k in laptops that make final cut throttle, too much push for the mobile -is good in itself- compared to almost abandoning the desktop etc, etc)  do screw up, I hope Linux sees now the time to really push to become pro in the areas it is still not.. (not speaking ONLY about putting real cash into graphic apps dev companies, but also really dealing with the OS color management capabilities and flexibility/ease, drivers for advanced design devices, etc)

So.. I don't see it for now, "just yet" , as I don't have a crystal ball (nobody has it... a working one I mean) and who knows into what it all will really develop...but seems more likely that myself (and ppl like me) might jump finally to Linux, OR Apple Mac (desktop) if I see a clear sign that Apple is not willing to finally become a gadgets and portables/iPads only company...

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Note that the article title/headline is misleading, as the subscription is not for Windows 10 itself but for Office.

It includes Windows. IMO, is a move to make everyone go for 365.

The only hope for Windows users is the users themselves. They have pushed with everything they (MS) had to get ppl on the Office 365 boat. And they couldn't as tons of ppl keep purchasing (heck, me, for my mother) the purchase only, expensive Office. (well not that 135 $ is that expensive, those things last in a family from 7 to 15 years)

This is from May, but IMO, internal MS plans have always a long tail, and are planned since very long without most ppl really knowing, so, might quite apply... 

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3274585/microsoft-windows/faq-microsoft-365-explained.html

BTW, would appreciate that magazine ( I was a fan, purchased almost all months printed issues as a teen/20 sth) having like 30 ads less, specially those that scroll you back to the beginning....

13 minutes ago, SrPx said:

This is from May, but IMO, internal MS plans have always a long tail, and are planned since very long without most ppl really knowing, so, might quite apply... 

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3274585/microsoft-windows/faq-microsoft-365-explained.html

Still, it's really only relevant for users of MS Office, as it's a way of bundling Office and Windows 10 in a subscription package. It says nothing about any plans to make Windows itself a subscription service.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I know...I'm speculating, but.....  I  just apply MS and other companies usual tacttics to "introduce" the deep, long term plan. I've seen my XSI Foundation be killed that way, Deep Paint 3D (and it was 2k $ ugh), or my loved Truespace (purchased by MS, btw, to be left in oblivion). Even the same MS when purchased Expression. Initially was said to make it great and all..nah, they wanted to stagnate-kill it for some business competition reason...

Windows 10 is a SaaS since conception, as they probably fund now a lot of it by telemetry, even if you can "anonymize" it to an extent is fine for some, non acceptable for others... But IMO, is conceived as a service since long, and less as a product, as it was, or as it is yet in Apple ( but I keep fearing maybe Apple wants to go all the way in the gadget + portable only way. That would be bad for everybody, current Windows users included, as the most logical move for average Janes and Joes is Apple, not Linux, until a lot of sharp corners are fixed in Linux. Price wise, tho...Linux makes a lot more sense, due to the machines price difference and flexibility).

I'm not saying it makes sense to jump to Linux or OSX NOW ( I wont, for a while)... But definitely, with this huge interest MS has on the cloud, and also in the subscription vs purchase model, and almost a desire of killing the desktop branch ( I thought that was only Apple).... Starting to make sense to imagine a future in another OS. What I don't see is doing work in other thing than a desktop, at least the usual sessions of a bunch of hours (it's ergonomics for a 99% of human beings, is big screens (non portable) for detailed work, etc, etc). If anything, as all commercial entities are going to want to subscribe you to whatever (at some point selling all your private data simply wont cut it, although of course they will be doing that as well), maybe then not even Apple... I'm gonna get back to modeling , drawing and animating penguins... to get in the mood, lol....

The dangerous (for them) double edge (no pun intended) for MS in this is... they have got ppl with them for the desktop-job usage, compatibility. You can't get a job if you deny using Office. Almost like with Adobe suite or Autodesk's Max/Maya (in some u can't get a job if you're not familiar with Macs). If they trash this by trashing Windows... wow.... ppl is not gonna need them anymore, and the run aways is likely, as are pissed off since a while... is what is happening with AMD/Intel. The latter have added terrible pricing on top of way less innovation, they've really made the shoot in the foot...hardware reviewers are finally recommending AMD over Intel....Is not like these things do not happen. And the new MS endeavors have gone almost always badly... That music thing, the kinetic, look Windows Phone... They'll be loosing their best card, the one that no matter how much it screws up, is needed for the jobs.....

Maybe they're doing a terrific job with Azure, but imo they're getting into terrains where the other OSes are better and where there do not have the B. Gates provided installed base/marketing advantage...

For professional work, is desktop, big screens, professional hardware. Yes or yes. Now and tomorrow. But right now I have no freaking single clue on what OS or piece of code is gonna run it.... I wont care if is Linux, Android (yeah, I make the difference), OSX ... But I'll have my preference on Linux, if ready for the show, by then. Now... IF it doesn't, companies will keep requiring Windows, Adobe, and Autodesk. IMO, until those 3 (not Serif. Not Blender. Not Libre Office) REALLY move to Linux, have their 3 platforms equally updated, till then, you have NOTHING. History will repeat itself just with some slight different flavor. What counts is if one can use what one is required to, in detail, when applying to a job. Not just knowing it, but have very top proficiency. Until then, it's stalled with little hope...sadly.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Still, it's really only relevant for users of MS Office, as it's a way of bundling Office and Windows 10 in a subscription package. It says nothing about any plans to make Windows itself a subscription service.

First news about this are from a while, and the "Windows 365" thing, implying Windows as subs-only, kind of have a big impact around first quarter this year. Don't you think that, with all the possible sales loss, they'd have wanted to prevent damage by totally filling up the internet with articles linking to MS CEOs and stuff, making firm statements denying that possibility ? Done some searches right now ( and in the past with stuff related, would have popped up), am not bad in searching, and finding much more easily articles confirming the bad news, and not a single one from MS denying it.... Call me a pessimistic guy (I'm over optimistic, by default and by will) but if that's not a sign.... Again, what works today is what does, not recommending a wagon jump just yet. But am taking impulse for the jump, xD

PD: One way or the other, skills are easily ported from one app to an other (heck, if I were given an euro per each time I did), and so, from an OS to another. The vendors of apps and OSes are the ones to be in the risk of loosing money....

2 hours ago, SrPx said:

Don't you think that, with all the possible sales loss, they'd have wanted to prevent damage by totally filling up the internet with articles linking to MS CEOs and stuff, making firm statements denying that possibility ?

No, the click-bait rumor of Windows going to a subscription-only model is something very few people find credible -- otherwise the web would have exploded with articles about it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I wished that to be true but somehow Microsoft 365 already contains the following things as can be read in the underneath quote;

Microsoft 365 brings together Office 365, Windows 10, and Enterprise Mobility + Security. It delivers a complete, intelligent solution to empower employees to be creative and work together, securely.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

I'm not going to trawl through 14 pages but has anyone thought of using Crossover from CodeWeavers on Linux to run Affinity Apps?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2014 at 12:17 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

I won't rule out making a Linux version of Affinity, but I need someone to show me a combination of distro, desktop topology and deployment (paid) platform where we would recoup our development costs. If someone can show me that, I'll be willing to talk some more about it all.

Canonical created Snapcraft for this very thing. It's a universal packaging system that allows you to package and deploy proprietary software. Snap daemon runs on any distribution and supports sandboxing. A couple of examples of paid apps on the Snap store are Mailspring and GitKraken, both of which I've purchased. Affinity Photo and Designer run on the Universal Windows Platform, so there's a good chance much of it was written in C#. The GUI elements can be ported over to GTK# on the mono framework if that's an option. Using Snap packages would allow you to deploy your application with all of its dependencies and any updates you submit would automatically be downloaded to every customer's desktop.

You can even allow your Linux users to provide you with valuable beta testing feedback by making a beta channel of each Affinity product on Snapcraft. I've tested snap packages on many largely incompatible distros with excellent success. From Ubuntu to OpenSUSE, Fedora, Arch, and Gentoo; Snap packages install and work all the same and render with the same look no matter what desktop environment you have installed. 

On 1/20/2019 at 8:36 PM, robertmsale said:

Canonical created Snapcraft for this very thing. It's a universal packaging system that allows you to package and deploy proprietary software. Snap daemon runs on any distribution and supports sandboxing. A couple of examples of paid apps on the Snap store are Mailspring and GitKraken, both of which I've purchased. Affinity Photo and Designer run on the Universal Windows Platform, so there's a good chance much of it was written in C#. The GUI elements can be ported over to GTK# on the mono framework if that's an option. Using Snap packages would allow you to deploy your application with all of its dependencies and any updates you submit would automatically be downloaded to every customer's desktop.

You can even allow your Linux users to provide you with valuable beta testing feedback by making a beta channel of each Affinity product on Snapcraft. I've tested snap packages on many largely incompatible distros with excellent success. From Ubuntu to OpenSUSE, Fedora, Arch, and Gentoo; Snap packages install and work all the same and render with the same look no matter what desktop environment you have installed. 

As far as I know, affinity products run on Windows 7 as well. This means, they don't use UWP.
They use 64bit .net though (this one creates the issues). I've seen some bugfix in wine changelog related to affinity designer like a month ago. 

The packaging method is probably, by far, the smallest issue with providing Linux support in Affinity. So, while it's good to know of methods that can work, I doubt that will improve the chances that Serif will provide the support.

-- Walt
PC:

51 minutes ago, j0e.org said:

What are the big issues?

The development effort (new and/or changed code to support Linux), the testing, the additional personnel required to do that coding and testing, the coordination needed to bring three products to market at the same time for three OSes, the added support costs (personnel and time) fielding questions and bug reports for three products on an additional OS, and the training of all the additional personnel.

Edit: Four OSes, actually, since they already support three (Windows, Mac, iOS)

-- Walt
PC: