You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity for Linux

1 hour ago, Aurélien said:

I come from France where we spell it "développeur" ^^

And we Anglophones stole "développeur" and then changed the spelling to "developer" so as to confuse the police. Hmmm, I wonder where we stole "police" from?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

41 minutes ago, Aurélien said:

resources ? How can anybody say that the development of the windows/OSX/IOS versions will be slowing down when we don't know the team, their skills, the financial health of Serif  ?

About the staff (teams) size, well, is just a very small sample (and you could collect these all over the place from years of posts, but is easier for us who actually remember those) just a very recent post from staff (not tagging this person, as I suspect it'd divert their attention : Have read (again, from staff) is also not a nice thing to tag them about chit chat matters) which was all about some petition to do and maintain a technical guide :  "A technical user guide would be a nice idea but we don't have the manpower to keep it updated as well as the videos, workbooks and other documentation. "

We knew from before, but...Does it sound to you they've got no shortage of people ? To me it sounds as the opposite, it seems is pretty tight....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

31 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Hmmm, I wonder where we stole "police" from?

From a font, perhaps? :/ :P whistling.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Ahaha, I don't know any developer who likes writing documentation.

I am not doubting Serif words, but man-power is the preferred excuse for companies.. see evernote, this page is driving me crazy : https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313748-Evernote-pour-Linux

(they explain in the same paragraph, that they are so small they can't build a linux client, but YOU can as a developer)

I just removed my linux os from my laptop (went away when windows 10 screamed me 2 years ago) a few days ago, installing Windows 10, to get the affinity products running.

It was unbearable for me to work with it. In my opinion it's non-professional to work with it. It's more like a alpha of some (failing) experiment.
It became even worse than it was about 2 years ago.

Two days Later is installed Windows 7 and now i can work ... but Windows 7 Support will end in 2020.

-

Since I've been watching Valve for quite some time, the idea came to me of whether Affinity could partner with Valve. Valve is interested in becoming independent from Windows (Microsoft). For this purpose, "Proton", an extended WINE for Steam, has been available for four months. Under www.protondb.com there is a community platform, on which the executability of games is documented.

With Valve as a direct partner, the affinity products could be made executable accordingly.

The Affinity products would be a great move to also have a potential program as a showpiece. I expect Valve to work with game developers to make the games executable. Serif could do the same with its affinity products.

A deal would have to be for Valve to promote this port accordingly. It's quite possible, however, that Valve would like to do the exclusive distribution for Linux via Steam for one year in return.

This joint project between Serif and Valve would be good marketing at all for all affinity products, even far beyond Linux, and would also open up new target groups (gamers), although many also need such products. Just think of the web designers of the clan websites ... and so on ...

Wouldn't it be interesting for Serif to check out Valve?

Might be a win-win-deal for Serif and Valve.

1 hour ago, Aurélien said:

Ahaha, I don't know any developer who likes writing documentation.

We don't have to go that far, some even don't name meaningful, or comment their code, or algorithm implementations accordingly and afterwards long time when those guys leaved the company, nobody knows what the hell that portion of code is really going to do. Not to say that most also don't work in a TDD manner at all. - So writing documentation what's that? The code is the documentation ... :35_thinking:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, Aurélien said:

BUT for developing something like Affinity Designer/Photo for Ipad, I think they have some wizards in their team. A linux version seems far less challenging to me.

The Mac & iOS operating systems are more alike than they are different. Besides, the Affinity apps grew out of a research project at Serif that was run in older generation iPads, so it was not as challenging as it might seem for them to develop the iPad versions.

Both of those platforms also have two things going for them that make them attractive targets for development of these apps:

1. A built-in marketing system capable of reaching essentially all platform users & a proven 'low friction' purchase mechanism; that being the app stores
  2. A relatively tiny number of well specified hardware configurations to support -- no DIY boxes or lowball, poorly engineered stuff from companies who basically just assemble the least expensive off-the-shelf parts they can find

We also know that there have been & still are a few unresolved issues getting the Windows versions to run as smoothly as the Mac ones, & that there are a few things all Macs support out-of-the box that require third party additions to Windows for that OS to support.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

supported_features.png

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hi there,

there are lots of front-end and web developer using linux. I am one of them. Ok, their is something that is going on this week in adobe user voice forum  more than 8000 votes for linux version and votes are increasing rapidly its happened in just one week. 

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/36257581-yes-please-support-linux-this-would-be-a-huge-m

All we want some good professional design tools to work in our choice of platform.

Most design tools only available for mac only - Sketch, Adobe xd , Invision, Framer and we all know why.

Building Affinity for linux - you guys will make revolution in linux world.

+1 it also make available in Chrome OS and Samsung Dex.

regards,

vikash

Is too short, that frame... is that actually a ZX Spectrum 48k key ?

If so is worth an entire subscription to Netflix... :D

My avatar plays with the concept of..."graphics cat" ... I'm a graphic artist, and seems there's quite some love for cats around here...imo it fits well, as there are also a bunch of retro lovers... (er...who as well were actually kids or older back then.... ;) )

I made my first "pixel art" (and even some games) with that ...er...thing.

17 hours ago, viksin said:

Ok, their is something that is going on this week in adobe user voice forum  more than 8000 votes for linux version and votes are increasing rapidly its happened in just one week. 

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/36257581-yes-please-support-linux-this-would-be-a-huge-m

Did you read what Patrick Palmer (a "Principal Product Manager, Editor") said about dealing with other requests vs. the viability of adding a new platform; that it is really about supporting several if not many OS variants, not just one; or a potential loss of functionality outside the core application for years to come?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 hours ago, viksin said:

Ok, their is something that is going on this week in adobe user voice forum  more than 8000 votes for linux version and votes are increasing rapidly its happened in just one week. 

For some other numbers, in their end-of-year email the Affinity team mentioned that:

• Their apps now have more than 1.4 million users; and
  • The Publisher beta has more than 150,000 users.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

It is always going to be about the numbers, but the number of users willing to buy Linux versions is only one part of it.

Like the Adobe product manager said, it is also about the number of feature requests that would take priority over adding a new platform, the number of platform variants to support, the number of support staffers needed to provide adequate support for all of them, & the number of months or years required to develop & debug these versions to the point retail versions could be released that would generate enough revenue to justify the project.

Affinity Photo 

On 12/27/2018 at 10:13 PM, - S - said:

Yup.  :)  

001.thumb.jpg.3ab7af0bd40ee8e74209629ceb321f62.jpg

Gorgeous.....

Rubber 48k key, in all of its glory....

Hi guys, 

An interesting vlog response to Adobe being asked to port to Linux: https://youtu.be/KFmQMbastjc

It might be an interesting exercise to see how many Windows users would consider switching to Linux if they could use Affinity software and have the same Affinity user experience on that platform…

There is a literal ton of other applications that I need which are  Win/mac only.... If only were a PS/AI (AP/AD) replacement kind of thing.... (said by someone who has Blender as favorite 3D software)

• Staff
18 minutes ago, j0e.org said:

8500 votes for Adobe on Linux. Adobe is reviewing it officially.

What software is the first that supports Linux, will get many new users. Especially many switchers from the other camp.

Just asking...

How many users does Adobe have? 8500 interested is a tiny proportion. Do you seriously think all 8500 would want Affinity on Linux?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

17 hours ago, Paul Bravery said:

Hi guys, 

An interesting vlog response to Adobe being asked to port to Linux: https://youtu.be/KFmQMbastjc

It might be an interesting exercise to see how many Windows users would consider switching to Linux if they could use Affinity software and have the same Affinity user experience on that platform…

Interesting!

Yes early bird gets the worm. Adobe is a really big bird. Once Adobe starts eating the worm, I think all eyes (including the main focus of Canonical's app store support) will be on them, not on Affinity, should they go for the worm too.

Still there is the monthly (for ever) subscription vs purchase issue...