SalfingerAndrew

Photo brush hardness bug with CMYK files.

Hi shizumiaoki

This seems to be more related to the wet edges setting than the brush softness itself. I have passed this on to development, but you can create the document in RGb then convert it to CMYK when needed and it should prevent this halo effect

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Maybe is related to having a smaller range of tones in cmyk ? I mean, sth like that would happen often in PS, cmyk mode... (smooth drop shadows being 'cut' like that) ). For very smooth gradients I sometimes draw in 16 bits mode, then convert to whatever needed.

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

This issue is still present and directly related to the way AD handles CMYK. Searched out this thread because I was having the same problem and getting frustrated.

The problem exists only in cmyk and is present even when an asset is converted to RGB and re-imported to a CMYK file. Super frustrating.

If that would be the case, then it'd be unrelated to the brush, or to its wet edges... I can't remember now....but... does color conversion in Photo and Designer allow, like in PS , to set "dithering" on (it'd probably solve it) , in the conversion settings ? Also... to what color profile(s), CMYK one(s), are you converting ?

I will personally try sth like this later on in Photo, today.

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

I remember sth similar happening in old PS versions, and I used to solve it using dithering in actual color profile conversion... (cmyk usually would have way less tones in its spectrum, so was expected to happen in some gradients or very smooth drop shadows, like the case)

Not happening in Photo desktop....

not when painting directly in cmyk mode, and any cmyk profile...neither if painted in RGB, the converting to cmyk.....  O.o  

Could be due to the poorer (if any) support of CMYK in iOS system, or whatever the iOS library ?. I have a desktop with all hardware calibrated, many profiles, etc.

It is clearly an iPad-only specific issue happening in the Photo iPad version. It does not happen even saving the file as CMYK, with a specific color profile, opening it and then painting. Neither if painting RGB 8 bits or 16 bits, then converting the file to CMYK.

if that exact result, is then converted back again to RGB, and maybe saved as PNG or whatever, then opened in another app (or Photo in the desktop), or the actual Photo again... does it disappear ?    (shot in the dark: that it were a display glitch when showing/working in CMYK mode in APhoto, but the internal data would be fine, so, writing ok in the disk (you can't work so, of course, but is just trying to see if can guess what's happening).

Yep, you’re right! If I export it as a PNG and reimport it as an image into Designer, it works. I’m working solely in AD by the way.

Is there a way for me to export the asset without he white background ?

Edit: Figured this out, super simple and solved my problems! Thanks for the workaround sir!

Sorry, I've been away due to work....

:)

I am extremely glad that it helped you somehow  :) B| :7_sweat_smile:

So...this might mean that is merely a displaying glitch, and only in the iPad, in cmyk mode, maybe related to Metal or anything iOS specific, at display level only, but not an internal data error, so, IMO is probably a better situation. Maybe the displaying code is not applying "on the fly" the dithering (I mean, for display purposes) intent that you usually get to set or not set in (is needed often when yo go from a wider range to a smaller one) , for example, Adobe PS conversion from a color profile to another (ie, a RGB Adobe RGB file to a FOGRA39 CMYK. Not sure yet about how is the workflow in Photo, purchased  it the other day, hehe  ). Anyway, for painting.... is quite a problem as you don't have a clue on how it's really ending up while you paint. My workflow advice is Paint on RGB mode, leave the conversion to CMYK for the end (similar to when you would only save as JPG in the very final step, as otherwise would be accumulating quality losses), this had many other advantages. Typically I only use CMYK from start in very few and specific raster cases, or in vectors work, when I know the output is going to be CMYK printing (offset, etc), and specially when is just flat colors.

Cool ! :)