You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys.. im going to get laughed at here, I have been interested in designing etc for a while, I have just bought to give it a shot.

I guess we all have to learn somewhere ..I know basic tools I guess from paint LOL gimp etc.. but I have never known how to use the more advanced

even 'beginner' to be honest. I am wondering is there anywhere to start completely from scratch that will be fairly easy for a beginner?

I am good at learning but not just figuring them out when playing around, willing to sit an learn things that may seem pathetic

to pro users and build up from the bottom but don't know where to start, any help would be great,, laugh at me too ;) .. I know

ill come good when I put the work in it's just all confusing for my brain atm I guess most peoples same at first.

also anyone have a time estimate it would take to become kinda good? I know it depends on hours put in but I will do that :}

I feel silly already but ehh .. atleast im trying too learn lol :P if I do get serious replies thnk u x

• Staff

Hi kylelol,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm assuming you are referring to Affinity Photo (desktop version) is that correct? If so check the Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials in particular the Beginners Series (you can download the files used in the beginers series clicking here).

-------

For Affinity Designer (desktop version) check the Official Affinity Designer Video Tutorials instead. I've also listed a few written tutorials from third parties here.

Here a link for the Tutorials (Serif and Customer Created Tutorials) section here in the forums - there's threads for the official videos for the iPad versions pinned at the top as well just in case you have acquired the iPad versions.

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi kylelol,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm assuming you are referring to Affinity Photo is that correct? If so check the Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials in particular the Beginners Series (you can download the files used in the beginers series clicking here).

That's correct.. wow that reply was quick lol ill give it a look now. thankyou :)

I actually feel so awkward asking prob pathetic questions but I appreciate serious replies

8 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi kylelol,
There's no such thing as pathetic questions. Feel free to ask anything you need/don't understand. There's plenty of knowledgeable users/staff willing to help.

I did also purchase affinity designer.. but reading up I think photo sounds easier for newbies?

btw that was exactly what I was looking for also :) also yes the desktop version.

Hi Kylelol

You will certainly get serious, and helpful, replies to your questions.:)  The only silly question on this forum is the one you didn't ask because you felt embarrassed.:36_flushed:

You'll find the members on here will be generous with their time and knowledge in order to help you, no matter what. So ask away!

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net.9_9

R

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

7 minutes ago, Roger C said:

Hi Kylelol

You will certainly get serious, and helpful, replies to your questions.:)  The only silly question on this forum is the one you didn't ask because you felt embarrassed.:36_flushed:

You'll find the members on here will be generous with their time and knowledge in order to help you, no matter what. So ask away!

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net.9_9

R

thanks, although.. I can tell you're a bit of a joker ;) [dp] lol

would appreciate anyone's estimate how long it takes to become

quite good with putting effort in from complete beginner. 

I do realise it's time spent but is it more a yr plus thing

or would 'x' amount months see decent progress?

14 minutes ago, kylelol said:

Another question, do they have general forums on here too?

or a chat room anywhere?:)

There’s no general forum here. If you want to indulge in general discussion with other users of (mostly ‘legacy’, non-Affinity) Serif software, you can post to the Lounge on CommunityPlus, but it’s a separate site with its own login. Bring your own toffee!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 minutes ago, kylelol said:

I do realise it's time spent

As long as you're keen, watch the videos, and then practice what you've seen then you'll improve. It's the repetition that counts. It's the repetition that counts.:42_confused:

Don't focus on being a "pro". I honestly believe you'll be delighted with what you and the program can do each time you learn a different technique. Just enjoy being able to do something you couldn't half an hour ago.

Put some time in each day over the summer (and you would do anyway because it's fun!), and by September you'll be thrilled how far you've come.

Enjoy it!:D

25 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

There’s no general forum here. If you want to indulge in general discussion with other users of (mostly ‘legacy’, non-Affinity) Serif software, you can post to the Lounge on CommunityPlus, but it’s a separate site with its own login. Bring your own toffee!

That's great ill have a look ill stick around here also, is that like a sister forum to here? :p ..

I'm glad you know who the toffees are :P I'm obsessed with them irl lol [googluck to whoever you

support also if you're a big football fan. 

14 minutes ago, Roger C said:

As long as you're keen, watch the videos, and then practice what you've seen then you'll improve. It's the repetition that counts. It's the repetition that counts.:42_confused:

Don't focus on being a "pro". I honestly believe you'll be delighted with what you and the program can do each time you learn a different technique. Just enjoy being able to do something you couldn't half an hour ago.

Put some time in each day over the summer (and you would do anyway because it's fun!), and by September you'll be thrilled how far you've come.

Enjoy it!:D

That's true I guess that's a good way to look at it rather than expecting

everything to come quickly having a mindsight like that is more forward-thinking.

than beating myself up waiting weeks and not being happy, ill enjoy it :p

.. that also hits the nail on the head with me I tend to beat myself not getting results

quickly then with boredom give up so that's really good advice ill try.

thanks again guys. :) &also goodluck to everything you lot are trying to achieve.:P

12 minutes ago, kylelol said:

is that like a sister forum to here?

Well, it’s a sister forum in the sense that it’s also run by Serif (Europe) Ltd, but there are many Affinity users who never used Serif’s old (Windows only) software products such as DrawPlus and PhotoPlus, and many ‘Plus’ users who don’t yet — and perhaps never will — use the Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi, Kylelol,

If you've had some experience w. GIMP, you've taken some 1st steps. GIMP has lots of good stuff, but the interface layout is sort of clumsy, which is to be expected from an app made from group contributions. For me, the interface feels very clumsy. The Affinity apps are much better. But note, they do a ton of stuff. I've been doing computer graphics since the mid-80s. Still took me about 2 weeks to find everything in Designer. I use Photo far less, but my impression is that it is much more complex.

Consider what you might want to try. Designer is, obviously, for structured design. But it has a good selection of "paint" features. Photo is aimed for pro photo work. I don't have a decent camera, and am a wretched photographer. But I do find Photo has an even stronger set of painting tools coupled w. image manipulation.

As above, do it for fun. When I got Designer, the built in shape tools blew me away. Then gradients, then blend modes. Spent maybe 6 weeks making abstract geometric images w. dozens and dozens of layers, each w. different gradients and blends and transparencies. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

26 minutes ago, gdenby said:

When I got Designer, the built in shape tools blew me away. 

I started using DrawPlus (albeit rather infrequently) more than two decades ago, so although I’m a decidedly inexpert user I was very familiar with its QuickShapes by the time Affinity Designer arrived on the scene. Having said that, the Shape Tools in AD are an ‘on steroids’ version of the QuickShapes in DP.

Alfred spacer.png

I've made a quick start guide for Affinity Photo on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8kwOQhMJA Hypothetically, if you can retain all the information in that video you will be fairly adept in Affinity Photo in just 30 minutes. :10_wink:

But if you're like me, you can use Affinity for years and still be learning new things! 

Free Affinity Photo Course! :5_smiley:
Follow along with me as we learn how to edit everyday photos.

14 minutes ago, Affinity Revolution said:

I've made a quick start guide for Affinity Photo on YouTube

I've seen several of these videos. Superb presentation. This should be of great help to many.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives." 

Such a wonderful sentiment.

R