You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I finally DLed the trial version of Affinity Photo yesterday to make sure it works for my images / gear. I have a couple of initial questions.

1) As I shoot only in RAW, am I always launched into the Develop persona? Do I make my adjustments there before moving to the Photo persona? A lot of instructional tutorials start at the Photo persona. Is that because people input JPG images?

2) The RAW image thumbnails are not visible when choosing photos to import. Is there a way around that?

3) I posted a forum question about my gear not being supported as yet (Canon 77D & Sigma 18-300mm lens) but see the following:

image.png.c5c16ad51308688f663a6d374f21e2bc.png

As both are listed, does thaty mean that the s/w is able to pick them up & I'm able tomake adjustments based on them specifically? To have these listed under cameras & lenses in the future, what exactly do I have to do?

4) I have only just started playing with one photo & in the Develop persona again, under profiles, there's no camera profile, only output profile:

image.png.ab6e6fb9b4e5df510d1052fceec7f599.png

What difference will that make to what I can do? |Is the camera profile that listed in the image ablove? - ie the same as the output  profile?

5) There are so many tutorials out there but the beginner basic ones seem to relate to the photo persona. I did find one on the develop persona but it woudl be ever so helpful to have one, or a series even that dealt with beginners who shoot in RAW & need a basic workflow to start them off.

Thanks so much. 

Julie.

• Staff

Hi @juliep,

Welcome to the forums. 

1. When opening a raw file, it will always open in Develop persona. This cannot be changed. Once you develop your photo, you will be back to the Photo Persona. 
  2. We cannot provide thumbnails for your raw files. You would need a raw codec pack from Microsoft for this. 
  3. We do not officially support Canon 77D. I tested with a few samples and they seem to be fine, but we cannot guarantee 100% functionality for raw files from this camera. AS for the supported list, we hope to introduce more cameras with upcoming updates. 
  4. I'm not really sure what do you mean by this. That would be your export profile. Have a look here:

Colour Management
    1. Wide Colour Profiles vs sRGB - YouTube / Vimeo
    2. Printing on Windows
    3. Printing on Mac
    4. Soft Proofing
    5. OpenColorIO Adjustment
    6. OpenColorIO Setup
  5. We have quite a lot RAW tutorials:

RAW Development

1. Raw: Discover Develop
    2. Raw: Developing Images
    3. Raw: Overlays
    4. Raw: Redeveloping Images
    5. Raw: Noise Reduction
    6. Maximising Raw Latitude
    7. Custom Tone Curve
    8. Raw Development Quality
    9. 32-bit Raw Development - YouTube / Vimeo
    10. Raw Colour Quality
    11. Automatic Lens Corrections
    12. Raw: Recovering Overexposed Highlights
    13. Raw: Exposure Bias
    14. https://affinityspotlight.com/article/raw-actually/

Thanks,

Gabe.

Thanks so much Gabe. Will look into those videos.

What I meant about queston 4) was that in a tutorial I found, there was both a  camera profile & output profile under profiles, yet when I went into it myself, I only had the output profile. I had assumed that was because my camera wasn't in the list of supported cameras, but then it had been recognised per my first scrren shot?

I have a steep learning curve ahead of me but am very impressed so far - so many videos & so much help!

Thanks

Julie.

3 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @juliep,

Welcome to the forums. 

1. When opening a raw file, it will always open in Develop persona. This cannot be changed. Once you develop your photo, you will be back to the Photo Persona. 
  2. We cannot provide thumbnails for your raw files. You would need a raw codec pack from Microsoft for this. 
  3. We do not officially support Canon 77D. I tested with a few samples and they seem to be fine, but we cannot guarantee 100% functionality for raw files from this camera. AS for the supported list, we hope to introduce more cameras with upcoming updates. 
  4. I'm not really sure what do you mean by this. That would be your export profile. Have a look here:

Colour Management
    1. Wide Colour Profiles vs sRGB - YouTube / Vimeo
    2. Printing on Windows
    3. Printing on Mac
    4. Soft Proofing
    5. OpenColorIO Adjustment
    6. OpenColorIO Setup
  5. We have quite a lot RAW tutorials:

RAW Development

1. Raw: Discover Develop
    2. Raw: Developing Images
    3. Raw: Overlays
    4. Raw: Redeveloping Images
    5. Raw: Noise Reduction
    6. Maximising Raw Latitude
    7. Custom Tone Curve
    8. Raw Development Quality
    9. 32-bit Raw Development - YouTube / Vimeo
    10. Raw Colour Quality
    11. Automatic Lens Corrections
    12. Raw: Recovering Overexposed Highlights
    13. Raw: Exposure Bias
    14. https://affinityspotlight.com/article/raw-actually/

Thanks,

Gabe.

Re #2 - I DLed the CODEC from the MS website but it doesn't include my Camera. I have now sent a message to Canon to ask them about it. I'm using Windows 7 which is fine, but the world seems to have moved on!

• Staff

Oh, that profile. It will not show because your camera is not supported. :) . Windows 7 stopped their support back in 2015. If your camera is new, it's most likely that it's not included in their codec pack.  

3 hours ago, GabrielM said:

We cannot provide thumbnails for your raw files. You would need a raw codec pack from Microsoft for this. 

I've not had much success with MS codecs - have a look at the FastPictureViewer codec pack - it's not free but it's very reasonably priced and there's a free trial.  It works with the 77D's RAW files.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

8 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Oh, that profile. It will not show because your camera is not supported. :) . Windows 7 stopped their support back in 2015. If your camera is new, it's most likely that it's not included in their codec pack.  

Thanks Gabe. Have been thinking about a new laptop so guess Windows 10 has some things going for it!