You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shape, pixel layer and stroke

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with Designer on iPad.
When I create a vector shape with an outline (vector too) and I want to apply a texture with a pixel layer, it only applies to the shape.

Not on the outline (see screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3yc70s53zgjd2fh/IMG_0036.JPG?dl=0 )

How to make my layer layer apply to the shape and the outline?

Thank you in advance for your answers !

You could use a vector brush with a rough texture to give a rough edge.

Or expand the stroke of the original shape to create a new shape that can be painted inside to create the texture you require.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

You are correct (which is why I said "Or expand").

My thought being that with an expanded "classic" stroke you can at least paint a texture inside which may give the illusion of irregularity.

More options…

• Use stroke pressure with a very irregular pattern.
  • Draw an irregular vector to start with.
  • Paint a pixel mask to roughen the stroke.

Will all depend on your scenario which method is most applicable.

But at present Affinity doesn't have the ability to automatically roughen a vector object. There have been a few threads requesting this feature over the years… we're still patiently waiting :)

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Here is a clumsy work around. 

Take the vector shape, and duplicate it. Set the fill to none, and give it a dotted stroke. Repeat 2 or 3 more times, changing the stroke width, the dash interval, etc. Expand all the strokes, and boolean add them. Then subtract from the filled vector. Select all, and change to curved nodes, and smooth. Note, you will get about a million nodes, but you will get a deckle edge vector for the bitmap fill.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hey!
Thank you for your answers, these are solutions that can be considered. I will try them.

The only problem is that these processes (really smart) are very long for a single form and I prepare an illustration with many many elements. It will be difficult to achieve like that.

I may have to work that bitmap with a pretty high resolution. Or wait for an AD update!
:)

Thank you again for the tips, I will still try them because it makes you want!

I may be late to the party. And I may not fully understand what you're asking.  The method I describe will not produce any kind of rough edges.  It specifically will apply a texture to both fill and stroke of an object. 

Create your vector object with stroke. 

Duplicate it.  Expand Stroke.  Bolean "Add" stroke and fill.

Now you should have two objects.  One, your first vector + Stroke.  Your second object, the single vector shape with no stroke.  The latter lies on top of the layer stack. 

Create your pixel layer that contains your texture and constrain it to object 2.  For this I just used a speckled brush using the color white.

in the layer options set object 2 to "Erase".

Attached is a screenshot of the final result and the layer stack. 

IMG_3615.PNG

Hi MyLazyEye, 

Thank you so much for this tip!
Thats not exactly what i'm looking for but the process is really interesting!
Still can't apply texture on roughed strokes but you're exemple can be use for many other stuffs!

I didn't know the Erase option of the layers, looks cool.

Thank you so much!