You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity RAW Developer is DESTROYING my RAWs.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Gibslayer. :)

How did you convert the raw data from the camera into the ‘original’ image for your screenshot? Is that just a quick capture of what you saw briefly in Affinity Photo? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The screenshot for the Original is just the RAW straight from camera. Being displayed in Preview. It displays the same in Pixelmator, Lightroom and Photos.

The screenshot for the other two is taken from the development window in Affinity Photo.

When I open the image up in Affinity Photo it displays the correct RAW for a brief moment before re-rendering the file into the mess you see in the Affinity screenshots. Huge increase in contrast, saturation etc... Well you can see what it does.

21 minutes ago, Gibslayer said:

The screenshot for the Original is just the RAW straight from camera. Being displayed in Preview.

Thanks. I don’t have a Mac, so I’ve never used Preview.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

What camera and lens are you using to take your photos?

Since you mentioned Preview, I assume you're on a Mac. Which raw engine (Apple, or Serif) are you using. You can find that in the Develop Assistant.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm using a Sony A6000 and I use vintage adapted lenses. Specifically a Minolta 28mm f/2.8 in this case.

Using Apple or Serif both achieve the same issues just in different flavours. The ones in the images above are from Serif but the Apple RAW engine does the same just with different hues. Neither RAW engine displays the image as it appears in Preview, Lightroom, Capture One or Pixelmator. I've opened the same image in every other photo editor and not had this issue.

Whilst doing that has flattened the image somewhat. Area's such as that knee. Instead of displaying what should be a mild blue, it is displaying as a strong pink/purple which is still clipping. In other programs this knee isn't clipping to white.

Supported Minolta Lenses (This is for the native Serif Labs RAW engine only)
1628688756_ScreenShot2018-07-23at21_27_38.png.041f46e1a6afb7c7618ee9a7b56a993c.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

29 minutes ago, Gibslayer said:

No lens correction is being applied however at all. Nor does the camera know what lens is attached. So I don't really see how the lens will be an issue, it's never been an issue in the past nor is it an issue in other programs.

You're right, the lens doesn't matter here, it's not a problem of lens correction. 

At first I thought was the ugly blue (and if I remember correctly purple) issue with Sony, I had a similar annoying issue with my A6000. But then you said it happens with the Canon as well, so it must be something different. Hope they'll figure it out. 

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

1 hour ago, Gibslayer said:

Out of interest @verysame. Did you find a fix for the Sony issue?

If the canon still has issues it doesn't bother me as I rarely use it. I just need a fix for my Sony.

If I remember correctly it wasn't exactly a fix but a workaround. Not sure if the solution was to use a different camera profile or ETTR, or a combination of both. 

If you Google "Sony camera highlight blue peaking issue" one of the result should point you to dvxuser forum. There's a long thread about this and at some point the workaround is mentioned. Let me know if you don't find and I'll look up. 

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Staff

The issue "Purple Coloration in some raw files" (REF: AF-1593) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2192".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.