You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

a friend is getting married soon and she sent out invitation cards with a certain design. The cards are store-bought and on heavy paper with a strong structure.

She asked me, if I could help her out and make namecards for the table and menus in the same design.
Since this is strictly non-commercial, non-profit and will only be seen by a handful of people at this very wedding, I scanned the main component to use it.

Of course because of the paper it turned out not so good. I don't know the correct english term, but maybe blotchy or something? You see the structure of the paper and the print  in the scan.

Is there a way to even the colored areas out, without too much manual work and while keeping sharp borders?
It is meant to be grungy with the broken lines, but the colored areas should be an even blue.

It is way too big and complicated to vectorize it by hand or manually paint over every area.

I attach a small sample of the design, you will see what I mean.
And idea how to do this in AP?

Thanks!

csample.png.2c73c45b12295d0ce3d2b5640bed394a.png

1 hour ago, LostInTranslation said:

Since this is strictly non-commercial, non-profit and will only be seen by a handful of people at this very wedding, I scanned the main component to use it.

I think that you will find that it is still a breach of copyright and that any advice on how to do it is abetting the breach.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

3 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I think that you will find that it is still a breach of copyright and that any advice on how to do it is abetting the breach.

That may depend on the user's location, as copyright laws (especially with respect to "fair use" provisions) may be different in various parts of the world.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That may depend on the user's location, as copyright laws (especially with respect to "fair use" provisions) may be different in various parts of the world.

Perhaps I over-reacted, but it does pay to err on the side of caution.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @LostInTranslation,

You can try using the FFT Denoise. Iit's generally good for removing patterns, but you would need a larger image not just a cropped portion to get better results. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Wow, this is a fantastic function, I had no idea.
I was able to make it way, way better already, but I might have taken it too far and introduced lots of artifacts as mentioned in the second part of the video.

Will try again and be more careful. I am pretty sure I will get it to a point where it is usable.
The whole image is ~2800x2800 pixels now, which is far bigger than I need it. First FFT, then resize should do the trick.