You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys, I have a problem when trying to save pdf for print. I had successfully done this before, a number of times, the same exact way and this time it just doesn't work. Maybe It's something I'm missing here, please help.

So, here is my problem. I am trying to save banner design with 3cm bleed and crop marks. I did set up bleed to 3cm in Document setup, I did include bleed in export pdf options, and I did make my elements bigger than artboard. And my bleed is still not saving... What am I missing?

543782489_ScreenShot2018-07-23at11_01_18.png.d6e2ee81404fe90c6bdc657921e10818.png465546649_ScreenShot2018-07-23at11_00_30.png.6770d8f71f7a30bc417de04f0f43a769.png

1329834050_ScreenShot2018-07-23at11_01_45.thumb.png.fa0f68b4d3b7660cd6b8662615004346.png

111611266_ScreenShot2018-07-23at11_03_07.thumb.png.7a7a228a61956477bf284da89016ee66.png

Thank you :)

Well, I'm very glad you asked me that because while trying to save the document to upload it to the forum I noticed my mistake! :D 

I masked the whole group of items in a rectangle that was in the exact size of a document. And considering I cannot see bleed before saving a document (pleease fix this ASAP), I didn't notice the previous layer was constraining my "bigger" items from appearing in their full size. I don't know if I explained it well, so I'm attaching the example. 

Thanks for a quick response anyway! :) 

banner.afdesign

52 minutes ago, Iri6214 said:

Hey guys, I have a problem when trying to save pdf for print. I had successfully done this before, a number of times, the same exact way and this time it just doesn't work. Maybe It's something I'm missing here, please help.

Two points.

3cm bleed is far too much, that would cause problems for the printer by obscuring any registration marks. Set to 3mm

You can see what is in the bleed area by going View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas and unticking it. That would have shown your problem.

An object with 3mm bleed showing outside the page boundaries, Clip to Canvas off

bleeding.png.e9fe5d0b8fb118f51d7e394729c6bcb6.png

3mm bleed, but Clip to Canvas on

nobleed.png.70adb438e53f252bbee8c372aef4005c.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, toltec said:

You can see what is in the bleed area by going View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas and unticking it. That would have shown your problem.

It wouldn't because the background object (the one that would bleed) was being clipped by a rectangle with the same size of the canvas and not by the canvas itself. That option is also disabled for artboard based documents. They already show up fully when not crossing/touching the artboard boundaries.

29 minutes ago, toltec said:

Two points.

3cm bleed is far too much, that would cause problems for the printer by obscuring any registration marks. Set to 3mm

An object with 3mm bleed showing outside the page boundaries, Clip to Canvas off

bleeding.png.e9fe5d0b8fb118f51d7e394729c6bcb6.png

3mm bleed, but Clip to Canvas on

nobleed.png.70adb438e53f252bbee8c372aef4005c.png

1. 3cm bleed was a requirement from the printing company, I don't know why. I also usually use 3mm as a default bleed size.

2. I'm using artboards because I need to prepare multiple similar documents in different color variations and Clip to canvas option is disabled for me. But I didn't know that option even exists till now, so thanks for that info!

57 minutes ago, Iri6214 said:

1. 3cm bleed was a requirement from the printing company, I don't know why. I also usually use 3mm as a default bleed size.

2. I'm using artboards because I need to prepare multiple similar documents in different color variations and Clip to canvas option is disabled for me. But I didn't know that option even exists till now, so thanks for that info!

Wow, if their printing is that bad, anything within 29mm of the margins could be trimmed off ;)

I would be interested to know why though. I was in the print trade for 30 years and never came across that much bleed. Odd!

Sorry, didn’t think about the Artboard thing but at least you know about the Clip to Canvas option :)

4 minutes ago, toltec said:

Wow, if their printing is that bad, anything within 29mm of the margins could be trimmed off ;)

I would be interested to know why though. I was in the print trade for 30 years and never came across that much bleed. Odd!

Sorry, didn’t think about the Artboard thing but at least you know about the Clip to Canvas option :)

Well, my first guess was that it could be typo, maybe someone mistakenly wrote "cm" instead of "mm" but, just in case, I prepared the document exactly by their requirements and I'm waiting for their response :D 

42 minutes ago, toltec said:

...I would be interested to know why though. I was in the print trade for 30 years and never came across that much bleed. Odd!...

I didn't download the provided file and have no idea what is meant by a banner...so this is just general info.

When I do trade-show booth banners, 1 inch is not an uncommon bleed requirement. Billboards can often use 5 inches. Car wraps I have done are mostly spec'd at 2 inches of bleed.

But for typical, smaller print work, yeah the 3 mm / 0.125" amount is pretty much a standard. When I see odd specs, I just contact the company to make sure. A surprising number of print establishments have errors on their web sites ranging from bleed to color models and/or desired profiles.

Mike

Hello. May I continue in this theme? I got the same problem that bleeds are not saved to PDF, working with artboards. In the document there is generally defined a 2mm-bleed, and in some artboards the bleed is correctly saved to PDF while other artboards don't save any bleed. Is this a bug or has bleed to be activated somewhere in artboard-settings?

The actual document concerning this "feature" contains 7 artboards. I use artboards very often to have variations of a design in a very practical manner, but save to PDF without bleed is really bad. Unfortunately in artboards the bleed is not shown up – and the clip-to-canvas-option is grayed out. (showing bleed in artboards would be great in a next version...).

Uwe

I’m sure it’s a bug.

I noticed a few times that bleed doesn’t bleed. From memory it’s normally when objects are 2 up, side by side, but there might be other times it doesn’t work.

Try a few options and list the results. You can then submit a bug report so Serif can fix it. 

I’ll try a few myself. It’s an important feature for professional printing.

• 1 year later...

Hello guys,

This is my first time posting in this forum. I was also concerned about this problem.

Yesterday after I finished some designs I was able to print the document with the bleed and margin. Getting a great PDF document ready to sent to the print shop.

Today, following the exact same process and with the same document, the bleed and margins don't come out when exporting the document.

I've restarted the macbook and the program but still get the same problem. 

This seems like a bug and don't know what to do to get these files ready for printing...

Any help out there?

Thanks so much,

Manu

Hello again,

My bad... haha. I forgot to click on the "more options" button to select "Include printer marks".

Well, I guess there might be more people in the future going through this mistake.

Remember to check this option if you wanna get the PDF ready for printing.

Anyway, thanks! :)