You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to duplicate (⌘J) transformation by fixed steps (not percentage)

Hi there,

Let's say I would like to do this:

post-7538-0-65321800-1425457170_thumb.png

For the basic of this example: a 100px square that I want to reduce by exactly 10px on every duplicate. (100, 90, 80, 70, 60px, etc.)

I've done this manually, it was long enough. Imagine I've to built a texture like this with hundred of them?

The actual behavior of the duplicate function is in fact to apply -10% each time, which produce this (100, 90, 81, 72.9, 65.6px, etc. :

post-7538-0-86103700-1425457003_thumb.png

Am I missing something? Any idea?

Thanks your your help.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

I think this is important.  If the transform was done using a percentage, then the Power Duplicate should use a percentage.  But in this case when it's done using an absolute value the PD should continue using an absolute value.  Just as if the transform was done using a rotational angle it needs to continue using the rotational angle.  Which it does.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• 2 months later...

Tazintosh I would guess this is so it can be used to make spirals with a simple drag and drop.

How about putting in a feature request that asks that the offset used be determined by the form of the offset specified.  So that...

if an exact offset is entered from the transform panel (+=.75 or *=2) then that exact offset is used for each iteration.  

If a percentage is entered from the transform panel (+=75% or *=200%) then the percentage is used for each iteration.

If the copy is just dragged and dropped then that could use a percentage for each iteration.

Maybe that way we could have it as it has been design but it could handle both modes of use.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

-10mm or px should act as an absolute property 

/1.1 should  resize relative to the last transformation 

IMO it does not make sense that the -10mm input is seen as a relative property and resized after every transformation ....

If i resize an object it could be a relative or absolute input. I would choose to leave it as a relative input.

Peace (y)

• Staff

Currently there is no way to do this.  We have discussed possible improvements for the power duplicate function which we'll look into as soon as someone has the time to do it.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB