You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drawing / Sketching help

Hello!

Im having a hard time with some things.

1. Can I turn off the nodes when using the pencil? Id like to draw and they are distracting.

2. Why does the pencil setting reset when i start a new document? Can I save a custom pencil?

3. How can i draw a shape with the vector brush tool without a stroke? Every time i draw with the vector brush tool, theres always a stroke
When I complete a closed shape with the vector brush, can I get the shape to auto fill in? The pencil tool is the same way. Both wont fill on closed path.

Hi, neteunnito,

Can comment on 2 items

The pencil is a vector tool. There will always be nodes using it.  While being made, the line will always show the nodes. Switch to pixel personna, and use the brush tool. No nodes, but you can not change what you have done like w. a vector tool.

Using the vector brush without a stroke isn't what it is designed for. It is supposed to stretch a bitmap along the vector. You can draw w. it, and then use the fill tool tool to add a fill, and then use the stroke studio to remove the stroke. Or just use the pen tool, which is more appropriate, because it can be set to have no stroke, and only a fill.

The only way I know to save a particular pencil setting is to change the tool default, which means every time you want to use the pencil, which means you'll have to change it if you want anything different. Same difference. I'm thinking you might want to leave it at default, and after drawing, go to the stroke studio and assign whatever stroke you want to use for the current work. You will most likely want to work on making your own brushes, which can then be attached to any vector line.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Ok that does help gdenby

One more question about the pencil tool. With no stroke or fill selected, when i draw, theres no path line. I want to create a freehand shape then fill in. Any way to do this?

Thanks for the detailed help on the last questions

1 hour ago, nateunnito said:

With no stroke or fill selected, when i draw, theres no path line. I want to create a freehand shape then fill in. Any way to do this?

Why do you want to draw a shape which initially has no fill, and only then fill it in? What’s the advantage over choosing a fill before you draw? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Why do you want to draw a shape which initially has no fill, and only then fill it in? What’s the advantage over choosing a fill before you draw? :/

ya i dont mind choosing a fill color first. Will the shape fill with the predetermined color when I close a line segment?

In corel and illustrator I can draw a shape and then it fills with color. In AD for ipad, i when I use the pencil tool the shape fills with color as I draw. (if the "use fill" option is clicked)

Video regarding point 3:

Pencil tool: shows drawing without fill and turning on the fill later, or drawing with a fill (see from about 2:00 onwards, talking about sculpt). Sorry, don't know about setting to no stroke (0 width? no colour?), don't have my iPad with me.

(from the general list of Affinity Designer for iPad tutorials)

4 hours ago, nateunnito said:

ya i dont mind choosing a fill color first. Will the shape fill with the predetermined color when I close a line segment?

In corel and illustrator I can draw a shape and then it fills with color. In AD for ipad, i when I use the pencil tool the shape fills with color as I draw. (if the "use fill" option is clicked)

You seem to have found the setting you need.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)