You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have previously used Graphic for Mac 3.1 this provides the ability to set a scale for a document. eg 1: 10, 1:50, 1:100

This feature is invaluable when creating scale drawings for real life objects.Examples include the design of kitchens and room layouts in properties.

As a relatively new user of Affinity Designer I was disappointed to find that there's no option to set a scale on a drawing.

Affinity Designer is without doubt a great product, which I will happily continue to use. The additional of scaling capabilities would open even more opportunities for users like myself.

Keep up the great work ! Can't wait for Affinity Publisher to be released ...

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere that adding a "+1" to posts adds no extra weight to the design teams decision making processes - but having just landed a job where scaling and dimensioning would be extremely useful, I'm adding my "plus one" here anyway! :)

Maybe line dimensioning will come when they (eventually) add line arrow heads!

v2.4.0 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.3.1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

It's been "raised as a feature request" in Adobe Illustrator since the beginning, by FreeHand and Canvas users who took it for granted. ;-)

Every vector drawing program should provide user-defined drawing scales. Just as every vector drawing program should show length of a selected path, and provide for straightforwardly specifying lines in terms of length and angle, not 'height' and 'width.'

Vector-based drawing is—by intent, purpose, and definition—all about resolution independence and therefore all about drawing scale.

JET

I actually never use 'scale'... I've just been making gigantic paper sizes that I can tile together for printing  (1:1 blueprints of large objects, for example).

But I sure need to make precise drawings in my design software, and need them to print real-size in PDF.

Need rulers and objects to work in both inches and mm, and really need DIMENSION LINES  functionality too. Also, a percent-scaling tool...

For me, that would make this software a Corel-killer :)

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 3:01 PM, rt-it said:

I actually never use 'scale'... I've just been making gigantic paper sizes that I can tile together for printing  (1:1 blueprints of large objects, for example).

But I dare say even a hobbyist drawing a layout for the backyard garden would put 1in =10 ft to good and effective use.

It will become even more important when Affinity finally has dimensioning tools and objects. For example, suppose…oh, I don't know…some poor fool were doing something so dubious as writing a book on axonometric drawing and showed dimensions as inches for the US market. He should be able to just change the working scale of the drawings to have the dimension objects auto-update to metric values.

JET

23 minutes ago, JET_Affinity said:

something so dubious as writing a book on axonometric drawing

🤣

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have licenses for all 3 Affinity products. With document scales & dimension tools I could finally put Graphic 3.0 to rest and use Affinity for everything.
I think we're all living with the hope that these features are eventually added to what are most definitely excellent products ! 

Hopefully we may see in a version 2.0 of Designer in 2021 .....

🤞🏼

image.png.c08d8e387990e61e1897486584691eb0.png

image.png.7db2b14d6a7fb2924a30d118e567fb8c.png

I can tell you that today, I had at least 10 crashes with CorelDRAW doing basic stuff and some I just changed window and then, nothing.
It's really frustrating and I'm full of work to be done.

My hope was that this could be implemented along with proper Macros.

The most strange thing is that this was a feature that was in a previous product.

On 4/27/2020 at 7:53 AM, JET_Affinity said:

But I dare say even a hobbyist drawing a layout for the backyard garden would put 1in =10 ft to good and effective use.

Create it with pages/artboards that are 110 feet x 85 feet and print it at 0.83% (assuming US Letter size paper)

• Staff
Just now, fde101 said:

Create it with pages/artboards that are 110 feet x 85 feet

....at a suitably low ppi (like ~20 dpi) I suggest . (Obviously this is a work-around till scaling is supported)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon