SarahT

Stroke width bug in Designer

On my mum’s 2018 iPad, inputting a stroke width does not give you the width you entered.

If I put in 0.5, I get 0.1. If I put in 2, I get 0.5.

On my iPad Pro it works as expected.

Under ‘Preferences > Interface’, is ‘Lines in points’ on or off? What are the units displayed at the top of the on-screen keypad?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

On 8/3/2018 at 7:51 PM, SarahT said:

Here is a screen capture of what happens:

Are you tapping "OK" after entering the new stroke width?

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Since this works as expected on my own 2018 iPad (& on your iPad Pro), it may help to quit Affinity Designer on your mum's iPad & restart it. (To do that, double click on the home button, locate AD on the screen that appears, & swipe it upwards off the screen; & then relaunch it from the Dock or iPad home screen.)

If that doesn't help, try turning off & then back on the iPad. If it still does not work, see if it works on a new test document.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

Since this works as expected on my own 2018 iPad (& on your iPad Pro), it may help to quit Affinity Designer on your mum's iPad & restart it.

The thing I immediately noticed about Sarah’s video is that the numeric keypad doesn’t have a units selector at the top. I will be pleasantly surprised if simply restarting the app fixes that.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

54 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

The thing I immediately noticed about Sarah’s video is that the numeric keypad doesn’t have a units selector at the top.

Good spot! I had not noticed that in the video ... or for that matter that it is there when I was using the numeric keypad to set stroke width on my own iPad. :$

56 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I will be pleasantly surprised if simply restarting the app fixes that.

I don't know if it will or not, but restarting several iPad apps, including both the Affinity ones & Apple's File app, has fixed a number of different problems I have had with them, & when that didn't work restarting the iPad did. I am not sure why, but I suspect the initialization process clears out what might be corrupted caches & other problem causing cruft that running software can't fix on its own.

Yes I’m seeing this now on my 9.7” iPad Pro. Mostly using pencil, tend to get better results with finger.

In my recording you will see it sometimes halving the value and sometimes entering the correct value.

Affinity Photo 1.7, Designer 1.7, Publisher 1.7 on MACOS Catalina Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 13 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

41 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

In my recording you will see it sometimes halving the value and sometimes entering the correct value.

What I am seeing in your recording is related to what @αℓƒяє∂ mentioned earlier: the numeric keypad is missing the units selector at the top when entering values that are halved. When it is not missing, it works as expected.

I have been unable to duplicate the missing units selector issue on my own (non-pro) iPad or the (related?) wrong value issue, even after about 50 tries with different documents & various changes to the units selector when entering values. I noticed your sig says you are running the iOS 12 beta 3 on your iPad. If that is correct, maybe that explains why you are having this issue & I am not?

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What I am seeing in your recording is related to what @αℓƒяє∂ mentioned earlier: the numeric keypad is missing the units selector at the top when entering values that are halved. When it is not missing, it works as expected.

It strikes me as particularly odd that it isn’t either consistently present or consistently missing in the same session. :S

Alfred online2long.gif

2 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It strikes me as particularly odd that it isn’t either consistently present or consistently missing in the same session. :S

Nothing strikes me as particularly odd about inconsistencies when running a beta OS version. After all, OS betas are intended to expose bugs in the software -- if there were no significant ones then there would no need for further beta testing.

Besides, just about every responsible Apple oriented web site that covers Apple's beta software includes a warning about not running it on your primary device, sometimes like here, going as far as saying, "Running betas on the device you're trying to use for real work is a great way to have you hating your life."

Yes I’m running the 12 beta but it’s just a hobby for me so I don’t mind being a guinea pig on this :1_grinning:, someone has to do it!

Affinity Photo 1.7, Designer 1.7, Publisher 1.7 on MACOS Catalina Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 13 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

18 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Yes I’m running the 12 beta but it’s just a hobby for me so I don’t mind being a guinea pig on this :1_grinning:, someone has to do it!

Be that as it may, it should not be too surprising when some things don't always work right if you are running it.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Be that as it may, it should not be too surprising when some things don't always work right if you are running it.

Agree but I doubt the originator of this thread Sarah’s mum is using it, merely pointing out that it’s a real thing even in a different version of IOS.

1 hour ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Agree but I doubt the originator of this thread Sarah’s mum is using it, merely pointing out that it’s a real thing even in a different version of IOS.

But (as far as I can determine) it is not a real thing here, I assume because I am not using a beta version of iOS. :35_thinking:

Hi SarahT,

We've finally been able to reproduce it and it seems to rely on several conditions. It only happens if you haven't used the Stroke slider, are using the Apple Pencil AND the Stroke is set to anything other than 0pt. Does this sound similar to why you've only been able to reproduce it on one iPad?

I'll get this passed on to development.