You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for Canon EOS M50 and CR3 RAW Files

• 3 months later...
On 7/21/2018 at 5:17 PM, Chris-tian said:

Hello, I bought the Canon EOS M50 which uses the new CR3 RAW format. Unfortunately, I can't use these RAW files on Mac currently.

Until when can I expect the support from Affinity Photo?

I have the same problem. Guys, Canon's .cr3 format will be used in all their cameras from now, the new full-frame EOS-R uses it and so will the SX70-HS. Please, would appreciate an update for Affinity Photo's raw engine. At the moment I first have to convert it to .dng berfore I can work with it.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Mark Williams,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you are running macOS Mojave (only), Affinity Photo Customer Beta can already open M50's CR3 files switching the RAW engine in Affinity Photo to Apple (Core Image RAW). To do so, open a RAW file, go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... and switch the first dropdown to Apple (Core Image RAW). Reload the RAW image again to for the new setting take effect.

If you are running Windows or an older version of macOS you can use Adobe Digital Negative Converter to convert the CR3 files to DNG's until we add support for them in our own engine. The DNG's will open fine in the current retail and latest Affinity Photo Customer Beta on both OS's. You can download Adobe Digital Negative Converter from here.

Very disappointed to find there is no plans for updating Affinity to accept CR3 images. I have bought Designer and am trying Publisher. Also I have taken a series of courses on Affinity with Udemy and my local Mac user group only to upgrade my camera to a Canon RP and find that all my efforts have been in vain. Sad really considering that I expect all Canon's new cameras to take in CR3.

We Windows 10 users would also appreciate a quicker update to add CR3 support within Affinity Photo. What's the point of trying to persuade people to switch from Adobe's grip, when you don't keep up with basic stuff like this?

I've just bought a Canon EOS R, and have to use another program to access the RAW files. 6+ months should be more than enough time to have it implemented :(

• Staff

@GSpix67 & @davidhawkins

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

sorry for the long delay since the last update.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thank you for pointing me to a solution for opening CR3 files. I tried this last night and it made no difference at all. I was misunderstanding last night and trying in Affinity Photo having downloaded Affinity Photo Beta this morning and tried your suggestions it still will not open the CR3 file. Do you have any suggestions please?

12 hours ago, davidhawkins said:

Very disappointed to find there is no plans for updating Affinity to accept CR3 images.

FWIW, while the CR3 file extension is the same for all CR3 images, the actual file format is different for each camera model. Canon does not share the format details with 3rd parties (including Adobe), so the output of each model must be reverse engineered separately before a 3rd party RAW engine can support it.

It can take months to complete that process properly because it involves thousands of measurements using specialized equipment that companies like Serif is unlikely to have, which is why they rely on the LensFun library for support in their own engine.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7