jbartley

Opening PS Tiffs with saved channels

Making the transition from PS to AP, but running into an issue of tiffs that have a saved channel we use for selection.

We typically mask out parts of our images that need color correction. We make our mask and save the selection to a channel that can later be recalled to be tweaked later.  In this example we have a channel called "wall" in photoshop. Opening this image up in AP gets me an unexpected result. I would expect to see the added channel in AP that I could turn into a selection as we do in photoshop. These images are placed inside a InDesign document saved as a PDF for print. Why am I getting this result and how can I avoid this without reworking thousands of high res Images that I have already have saved selection channels saved into them? If my final image has to in tiff format, I want to avoid the tiff hack of saving layers or native app formats. Is AP mishandling the channels coming from photoshop?

I can however, take an image and make a selection in AP save the selection as a spare channel, save it as a tiff and reopen it in AP without any issue. Coming from photoshop, it seem not to work the same.

Here is what I am seeing:    294789215_APScreenshot.png.16e077b5201e4363c9796ac510f403c2.png    I expect to see this:   136206412_ScreenShot2018-07-20at1_44_08PM.png.8d46f55b652adce6f08e6c366caaa1af.png

Attached in the Tiff file that contains the "wall" channel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kich7uu71cmi96v/FlowerCanvas.tif?dl=0

1. Open the TIFF into AP and select "Background" in Layers panel.
  2. In Channels panel, right-click "Background Alpha" thumbnail and pick Create Spare Channel to recreate the missing selection channel for future use.
  3. Again right-click "Background Alpha" thumbnail and this time pick Fill to restore full opacity to "Background" and reveal the flowers.

Thank you for your help.

Not sure why AP does not read the Photoshop channel as a spare channel so i don't have to add one on the AP side. Seems to me that is something that could be fixed.

At least I know how to fix it...  Thanks.

AP is only seeing one of the mask channels. If I have multiple masking channels in is only seeing the first one and discarding any additional channels.

I think this is a AP bug that need to be addressed when opening files with more than one additional channel. Can anyone confirm this or am I doing something wrong?