31 minutes ago, owenr said:

Are you playing games with me? That's a serious question!

Nope. I was just explaining why I am not going to waste any time on the test you suggested. I am happy to take your word for it that it shows what you said it does but for the reasons I mentioned I believe it is far from thorough enough to conclude anything meaningful about the overall value of adding this type of cache to the app.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

I'm not sure this belongs in this thread.  If not, just tell me.  I won't be insulted (sniff).

From this thread I understand how live filters are expensive in terms of processing time, and that's probably what is eating up a lot of the time Affinity Photo requires to export even a "simple" (in terms of the JPEG options) JPEG.  My live filters are children of the base pixel layer.  I have many more adjustment layers "on top" of it.

1. Do live filter process every time an adjustment layers runs?  I would have thought they just run once on the parent layer, but the discussion above seems to indicate that they actually run after each adjustment layer runs.
  2. Live filters can evidently occur as layers among adjustment layers.  What effect do they have, and when do they run?
  3. Can live filters be children of adjustment layers?  Again, what effect do they have, and when do they run?

It would seem that, if live filters like unsharp mask run "constantly," artefacts that they produce would be compounded.