You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move project between Photo / Designer (iOS)

Hello!!!

Within the macOS version of Photo + Designer your able to quickly move the project from either app via the file menu to for example create vector art within designer then move it to photo to apply effects and so on. Are you able to do this in some way on the iOS version?

I know you can in the project window (on either app) press and hold a project within designer to pick up the project and move photo and let go importing the project into the app and then edit the file, pick up and move over but this dose work tho it only "copys" the project and then you have to delete the file and continue working on a new project version (it dose not override the current project) Are you able to get the switches to work the same on iOS or not yet?

Maybe we need to wait till a new version of Photo comes out maybe?

Thank you for your time and I hope you have a great day.

c14a84770b0aac1bd123b13fbd7e3f16.png            Andrew Salfinger
Made by Campfire - Graphic Designer 

W: www.madebycampfire.com
E: hello@madebycampfire.com
T: https://twitter.com/madebycampfire

I am not certain about this but I think copying is the only way it works, & that this is due to a sandboxing limitation in iOS that the developers can't do anything about. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm pretty sure that .afphoto Files will open in Designer, and vice versa.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

34 minutes ago, DM1 said:

I'm pretty sure that .afphoto Files will open in Designer, and vice versa.

It will, but if you rename it in one app the name of the version in the other app does not change, which makes me think you now have two independent copies of the same thing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

28 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Import will create a copy of the original file, while open will open it in place and overwrite the original file

I assume what you mean by 'open in place' is the "Open From Cloud" option, right? If so, when I do that for example in Designer & choose a Photo file (either from an 'On my iPad' or cloud storage location) it does open that file. However, if I then save it from the Home screen, it does not overwrite the original file.

That works for an .afdesign file opened in Designer or an .afphoto file opened in Photo, but not for an .afphoto file opened in Designer or visa versa. In fact, if I open an .afphoto file in Designer that initially has no vector layers & add a vector layer to it, selecting Save from the Home screen for that file displays this:

1194423755_saveoptions.jpg.dcb609b40d934a05dd6aa660186580fd.jpg

Choosing either save option creates a new copy of the original with the .afdesign extension. Likewise, renaming any of the files in the Files app or either Affinity app does not affect the name(s) of the other(s) stored in an 'On my iPad' or cloud storage location.

BTW, the Home screen "Open From Cloud" option is a bit misleading because it also allows opening a file from 'On my iPad' location.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

BTW, the Home screen "Open From Cloud" option is a bit misleading because it also allows opening a file from 'On my iPad' location.

Hmm ... yes, not as clear as it might be. You could even say it’s a bit cloudy! xD

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

45 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Hmm ... yes, not as clear as it might be. You could even say it’s a bit cloudy! xD

Or that it is a mistake that would leave some down-to-earth users in a fog about its function? 

Affinity Photo