You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta RC1 (1.1.2.23308)

• Staff

EXporting to pdf with effect still has error. The edges becomes rasterized instead of sharp edges when having effects.

Layer effects are pixel-based effects - they cannot be represented as vectors so they have to be rasterised. It is possible that we could clip inner effects better, but the general problem you describe cannot be fixed due to the nature of layer effects.

Matt, is then the document dpi relevant for the export or is this a fixed size like 300 dpi for PDF export? If it's the document dpi then you can gain e better result by choosing a higher dpi number?!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

Layer effects are pixel-based effects - they cannot be represented as vectors so they have to be rasterised. It is possible that we could clip inner effects better, but the general problem you describe cannot be fixed due to the nature of layer effects.

yes i know that effect cannot be represented as vectors but would it possible that the object still have "not pixelated" edges just like how other vector programs way of exports? Just a thought.....

• Staff

Hi A_B_C, do you still get the issues with duplicate fonts in the Character panel?

Unfortunately yes ... the bug is still there in Beta 1.1.2.23308 ...  :(

Do you have some kind of external font management application?

• Staff

yes i know that effect cannot be represented as vectors but would it possible that the object still have "not pixelated" edges just like how other vector programs way of exports? Just a thought.....

Only if the effects are inner effects, or are 'behind' effects (like shadows). Our clipping could definitely be improved for these cases, but things like glows or blurs have to produce pixellated edges - there's no way to clip them neatly without interfering with them.

Just noticed two small things:

• With this update, if I click multiple times to zoom in too fast, it zooms automatically to 100%.

• When I set the stroke line to a number and hit enter, it should deselect the text box. But if right after that I hit a letter (like Z to change to the zoom tool) it selects the box again and sets stroke to 0, since 'z' is not a valid number. This doesn't happen in the non-beta version.

Not major problems, but they can get a bit annoying since they interrupt the workflow :)

• Staff

Matt, is then the document dpi relevant for the export or is this a fixed size like 300 dpi for PDF export? If it's the document dpi then you can gain e better result by choosing a higher dpi number?!

The document DPI is used when outputting to vector formats so can be used to control the DPI of all rasterised elements. It's definitely true that our output of inner effects and shadows could be improved with respect to clipping the edges, but this isn't a regression over the current App Store version and is something that would be taken care of by our Professional Print Output roadmap item :)

Dear Andrew, I can confirm a bug of jumping fonts. I am running 10.10.2 with the Apple Fontmanager. If I make a textbox and use the character panel und want to change the font I can klick them and scroll through the list, but if I use the curser keys to scroll up and down it jums somewhere -> mainly to the Arial and does not scroll.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

@ Andy Tang: No, all fonts are installed in the library for all users through Apple's Font Book app. Here's a video showing the interplay of the character toolbar and the character panel on my machine (used Adobe’s open source font Sans Source Pro) ... perhaps this will provide a hint ...  :unsure:

"No duplicates found" ... I simply get this message, and I am quite sure not to have duplicate font files on my machine ...  :unsure:

(Sorry, if I am unresponsive for the next hours, I have to leave my computer in just a minute ...)

Only if the effects are inner effects, or are 'behind' effects (like shadows). Our clipping could definitely be improved for these cases, but things like glows or blurs have to produce pixellated edges - there's no way to clip them neatly without interfering with them.

Actually its an inner effect. Its just a simple inner shadow. Try to look at the difference of the edges of the two. One exported by affinity and one by idraw. Same image and effect. Thank you.

Affinity.pdf

idraw.pdf

• Staff

@Zeay23 - As I said, inner effects we could clip and we currently don't so that's an improvement for the future :)

@Garytagreg - Thanks for the heads-up - I think we're still scratching our heads over how to reproduce this as it doesn't really make any sense? :S

Little bug:

if you use large on "Tool UI size" and "Font UI Size" settings the piker icon on the Fill tabs covers the gradient text (see screenshots)

No problems if I use the "default" settings.

Paolo

post-116-0-95488400-1425474710_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-63830100-1425474712_thumb.jpg

Matt requested that we check the new beta for any bugs.  So even though most of these have been reported before I am listing all that I find.

1. When a new document is created and the default resolution of 300 dpi is just accepted, the document is created using the resolution of the last document, not necessarily 300 dpi.

2. The stroke panel that pops up on the left of the screen, has an odd light gray area around the  "None" selection icon.
post-2932-0-94263400-1425477175_thumb.png

3. When I use the HSL Color Wheel, if the selection dot is all the way in the corner of the triangle (saturation close to 100%) and I very carefully click on the center of the dot what I get is a hue change of +/- 120 degrees.  I have to always click the portion of the dot closest to the center of the triangle which then selects it but makes a saturation change.  I should be able to grab that dot, anywhere in the dot, without making any change in HSL until it is moved.  Most of all hue shouldn't be affected when my cursor is over the SL dot.

4. The rotation field in the Transform panel will not accept negative numbers.  Also when using the down arrow to change the reading it will not wrap around to 359, it is stuck on 0.  The Skew field handles both these operations correctly.

5. I made a new 300dpi document and then a rounded corner rectangle with no fill and a fairly large stroke (my rectangle was 2.098" wide & 1” high and the stroke was 22px).  I clicked Scale with object.

I then went into Document Setup and changed the resolution to 72 dpi.  My rectangle was way oversize so I used transform to get it back to 2.098" x 1”.  Seeing as Scale with object was checked it scaled nicely.  But then I did an Expand Stroke, it came out with a horizontal equivalent of a stroke over 2" wide (not 22 px) and a vertical equivalent of a stroke over 1" high.  The Transform panel shows the size as 5.844” x 4.746”.
post-2932-0-93513500-1425477454_thumb.jpg

6. If I am zoomed into the drawing so that the edge of the drawing/layer is off screen I can't remove a guide by dragging it back into the ruler.  The guide is just moved to what ever location is currently behind the ruler.  Same with dragging it behind the tabs or tool bar.  With either horizontal or vertical guides it doesn’t work.

7. In the Swatches, "Recent:" line, there are 10 blocks with the last colors selected.  This only concerns the right 4 blocks, when I click on the left third to half of a color block I get the color of the block to the left of the one I am selecting.  This happens in both the docked pallet and the Fill and Stroke above the drawing.  To get the color I want I have to click on the right half of the block.  The other (left, newer) 6 color blocks do not have the problem.

8. A round donut has 4 nodes.  When an Expand Stroke is done it should end up with 8 nodes but instead ends up with 41 nodes on the outside shape and 31 on the inside shape for a total of 72 nodes!

27" iMac late 2009 Yosemite 10.10.1

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Hi, when I try to open an optimized png (once the png has been optimized by imageOptim), the app shows only a black image.

I attach an example file compressed in zip and a screenshot of the app.

It's happening in Affinity Photo also but not in other apps (Preiew app, QuickLook, Photoshop, Pixelmator, etc...)

post-7457-0-52585700-1425494182_thumb.png

01.png.zip

I am trying to do a Power Duplicate in the new beta.  I have a stroked line that is to be repeated at 60 px intervals down the page.  When I do the subsequent cmd+J's the line doesn't show until I do an directional arrow, then the line jumps into position plus a pixel in the direction of the key I pressed.  If I don't press the directional arrow, the new line sits where the only line was.

I don't think I have ever had this problem with any of the beta's before.  Is it just me or is there a new bug?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Vector brushes don't have pressure sensitivity (velocity doesn't work either). I bumped a thread from October, but don't know if this has been addressed. It's a game breaking bug for me.

Raster brushes work perfectly with pressure sensitivity.

Specworkfan,

Pressure sensitivity DOES work in the current AD beta, they just forgot to have the Controller set to Pressure by default instead of None. Just change the settings and have fun!

post-1105-0-17468900-1425530584_thumb.jpg

Vector brushes don't have pressure sensitivity (velocity doesn't work either). I bumped a thread from October, but don't know if this has been addressed. It's a game breaking bug for me.

Raster brushes work perfectly with pressure sensitivity.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.