You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta RC1 (1.1.2.23308)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements, Features, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: https://s3.amazonaws...stomer Beta.dmg

We intend to update the currently available Mac App Store product in the near future and will produce the binary for this from the current beta. We feel that we have added a great many new features and bug fixes and would like to get these into the hands of the majority of our customers. We are aware that not every bug has been fixed but we have to commit to updating the App Store version as long as we are not introducing any regressions in functionality or usability. For now, our focus must be on making sure the features included in this release candidate build are as stable and robust as possible, so we will not be adding any new features until we have released this version. We would appreciate it greatly if you are able to spend some time looking at this release candidate version and thoroughly testing it, letting us know any issues that you are having with it so we can prioritise our time to tend to as much as possible.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Documents made in this version will not be openable in older versions of Affinity Designer. This change was necessary in order to ensure a consistent baseline for our file format for the Affinity Photo Beta. When we update the Mac App Store version it will upgrade to this new archive version number too so will not be an issue in the future.

Improvements, Features, Fixes

- Improved Corner Tool UI, plus miscellaneous bug fixes

- Improved Ctrl+Option drag-resizing in the brush tools

- View Tool and Zoom Tool double-click behaviours added (zoom to fit and zoom to 100%, respectively)

- Introduced top-level ‘Text’ menu item, which replaces the old ‘Format’ menu and removed vector-related operations from the menus in Pixel Persona

- Added the ability to Save/Revert document defaults

- Fix for ‘None’, ‘Black’ and ‘White’ fill not working on the swatches page in the fill flyout

- PDF import now supports multitone bitmaps with an arbitrary number of channels

- Floating studio panels now have a close button

- Increased contrast of the view tab’s close button when multiple documents are open

- Performance improvements for Path Text

- Paragraph Leading is now available on the text context toolbar

- Fix for moving objects after nudging them causing the wrong results

- Starting to fix localised strings not fitting in some panels - still more to do…

- Improved Freehand import

- Fix for SVG export not correctly exporting simple lines

- Fix for vector export

- Fix for changing presets in Document Setup not correctly setting DPI and retina checkbox

- Fix for some adjustments going wrong in CMYK

- Miscellaneous other fixes and improvements

Thanks for another beta.

I've noticed strange bounding boxes of shapes created by the following tools: Polygon, Star, Double Star and Square Star.

When you start playing with these shapes, say using the corner tool, the bounding boxes snap to correct sizes.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Have had a few crashes with the Corner Tool with different shapes ( once it crashed Mail too ). Also, downloaded the beta from the link above but is prompting me to download a new beta every time I open this AD beta. ( latest version Yosemite and late 2013 MacBook 16 GB Ram ) Apart from that seems fine. Thanks for continued hard work.

Thanks for new beta.

First of all I love this program, the same class as Xara for me.

Anyway here is a bug (I think):

Trace something with the pencil tool, then Art text tool... select insert filler text and... program freeze. Don't know if a legal choice but if not I think a message is better than a freeze :P

and.... sorry for my english :mellow:

As the thing remain on this release I report it :

When creating a new document choosing web type, the DPI is always  300. For me it's more logical if it will be 96 DPI as when we change the type. Hope to be clear enough

The EPS import color bug still exists:

Make a new doc, draw a box with color 100M 100Y 15K (or any other) and export it as PDF and EPS.

Open the files in AD - the PDF displays the correct color but EPS something at 3C 96M 81Y 11K.

I think this should be fixed for the RC.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

Hi Matt,

unfortunately the bug I detailed here

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4109-running-through-the-font-list-with-cursor-keys/

is still there in the present version (RC1). I know you have to prioritise things and it definitely is a (minor, but somewhat annoying) OS X Lion bug, but nevertheless I wanted to remind you ...  ;)

Just for your information, my screen shots in the post mentioned above are from the German version, but the bug can be found in the English version too ...

Cheers,

Alex

Just tried to remember the other bugs we found as well ... although the Scale with object option has improved, this one seems to be still there:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4274-join-nodes/

Made a new screen cast using the latest version (RC1) ... but of course I don’t know if it is related to the Scale with object option at all ... but I am able to reproduce it regularly when using this option ...  :unsure:

Cheers,

Alex

I've noticed strange bounding boxes of shapes created by the following tools: Polygon, Star, Double Star and Square Star.

When you start playing with these shapes, say using the corner tool, the bounding boxes snap to correct sizes.

They aren't really bounding boxes; they're frames that the shape fits to. It doesn't use the whole frame, depending on the exact shape. If it was scaled so that it did use the whole frame, then changing the number of points, or other geometry, would resize the shape in a surprising way. So this is working as designed.

Using the Corner tool converts them into curves, and curves don't have frames in the same way.

• Staff

Just tried to remember the other bugs we found as well ... although the Scale with object option has improved, this one seems to be still there:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4274-join-nodes/

Made a new screen cast using the latest version (RC1) ... but of course I don’t know if it is related to the Scale with object option at all ... but I am able to reproduce it regularly when using this option ...  :unsure:

Cheers,

Alex

Hmmm, that's weird - I'm sure I can fix the join nodes thing very easily - will get to it! Thanks for giving me a heads-up on the fonts thing too - I've had a chat with Andy Tang and he's currently firing up his Lion machine to take a look :)

• Staff

Hi Matt,

unfortunately the bug I detailed here

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4109-running-through-the-font-list-with-cursor-keys/

is still there in the present version (RC1). I know you have to prioritise things and it definitely is a (minor, but somewhat annoying) OS X Lion bug, but nevertheless I wanted to remind you ...  ;)

Just for your information, my screen shots in the post mentioned above are from the German version, but the bug can be found in the English version too ...

Cheers,

Alex

Hi A_B_C, do you still get the issues with duplicate fonts in the Character panel?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.