tweakyblinders

Inpainting Tool after recent update

What an incredible program Affinity is. Unfortunately after the recent update of the program the Inpainting Brush Tool on mine seems to have stopped working. Regardless of size of file or area 'painted' nothing happens. Is this a common problem people are facing or or just a one off anomaly and how can I fix it ? Thanks in advance for ant help and advice.

Hi tweakyblinders,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you are working with a Pixel layer (check the label between parenthesis after the layers name in the Layers panel). If it says Image instead, right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. You can then use the Inpainting Brush Tool as usual.

Image layers are a special layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool, the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised first as described above.

Other things you should check if the above hasn't solved the issue: check the Flow and Opacity settings in the context toolbar. Are they set to 0%? If so change them to 100%. Let me know if you still have trouble.

On 7/20/2018 at 6:17 AM, MEB said:

Hi tweakyblinders,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you are working with a Pixel layer (check the label between parenthesis after the layers name in the Layers panel). If it says Image instead, right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. You can then use the Inpainting Brush Tool as usual.

Image layers are a special layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool, the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised first as described above.

Other things you should check if the above hasn't solved the issue: check the Flow and Opacity settings in the context toolbar. Are they set to 0%? If so change them to 100%. Let me know if you still have trouble.

I have tried this and all the other suggestions I can find.   The area selected changes to pink - then clears  but nothing changes.  I have given  up on it -these days I am sending the image to Photoshop CS6 for in-painting.  ( Contact aware fill).

3 minutes ago, sparks said:

I have tried this and all the other suggestions I can find.   The area selected changes to pink - then clears  but nothing changes.  I have given  up on it -these days I am sending the image to Photoshop CS6 for in-painting.  ( Contact aware fill).

Just reloaded the image ( PSD) and this time it works !!     ?????   Anyway thanks. 

Exactly the same as the issue I had but after resetting the opacity to 0% then back again and restarting the whole program it seemed to reset it and now works perfectly. Personally I find using Affintity is like Champions League Football compared to Photoshop's kick about in the garden ;)

I will try the set to 0 and back again plus restart the  next time it happens.    

I agree with Affinity being better than Photoshop - apart from one missing item - the cut and copy.  or cut and move a selection. ( using the 'option and command keys).   I use this a lot when working with drawings so I still  have to use Photoshop..   ( EG like this)

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 7.33.31 AM.jpeg

Fraid not:   

The Selection Brush Tool allows you to select a region of your image by painting.

The Selection Brush Tool functions in a similar way to the other brushes in Affinity Photo. By simply dragging on your image, you can add or remove regions from a selection. The selection will grow or shrink depending on the brush settings.

Try making the changes from the one above to this:  

EG:  chqnge

577134974_ScreenShot2018-07-23at7_33_31AM.jpeg.dd0d26432ea10a16503471b492e7e9af.jpeg

It can. Select your area using the brush, then go over to the layers section and click unlock. Selected area then gets a blue square around it which can be drragged enlarged copied etc etc

OK  let me ask you how to do this. 

starting with a blank sheet, using the selection tool create a  very small square - the size of a line.   Fill it with the colour black,  then using the arrow keys to move it vertical or horizontal,  tp draw the lines to make the above drawing.

When Photoshop first came out - with layers  ( Yes over 50 years ago)  I was teaching electronics. It was perfect to  draw the tracks of a two sided printed circuit board -each on it's own layer and one  layer for the text showing the component part numbers.    The student could then, using the college arts division  camera,  project each layer onto film. These in turn were used to make a printed circuit board.  Those days have long gone with custom printed circuit programs - but I still create circuit diagrams and in the above example,  change the layout of a home drawing.

So, can you tell me how to draw new lines (on one layer) using the arrow keys in Affinity Photo ?. 

EG  this is part of a circuit diagram drawn using photoshop.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 3.13.47 AM.jpeg