You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Both Photo & Designer for iPad have Preference > Tools settings for "Nudge Distance" & "Modifier Nudge Distance," but all I could find in the help topics about that was this:

1958005040_nudgeshortcuts.jpg.c98fe9355600c228141e87a0d2947b9c.jpg

I have figured out that the first works with the cursor keys on my Anker Bluetooth keyboard paired with my iPad, but no combination of its modifier keys works with the cursor keys to nudge anything by the modifier distance I have set in preferences.

So what am I missing?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So what am I missing?

A proper computer ;)

Seriously, under Transforming Objects it does say

To nudge objects (Smart Keyboard only):

Select one or more objects.

Tap an arrow key to nudge by a single unit of measurement.

You can change nudge distances via Preferences (Tools tab).

There seems to be nothing about "active modifiers" though.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

10 minutes ago, toltec said:

Seriously, under Transforming Objects it does say

To nudge objects (Smart Keyboard only):

OK, I missed that in the Transforming Objects help topic, but (happily for me) the regular nudge works fine with my not smart (?) very cheap Anker BT keyboard, so that topic probably should either drop the (Smart Keyboard only) part or maybe edit it to say "(Smart Keyboard & some third party Bluetooth keyboards only)" or some such.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

OK, I missed that in the Transforming Objects help topic, but (happily for me) the regular nudge works fine with my not smart (?) very cheap Anker BT keyboard, so that topic probably should either drop the (Smart Keyboard only) part or maybe edit it to say "(Smart Keyboard & some third party Bluetooth keyboards only)" or some such.

Yes. Probably with a disclaimer.

"Serif bears no responsibility for any loss of data or damage to your equipment caused by using cheap Chinese keyboards"

P.S. I have just bought one too, but can't figure out how to connect it as it didn't come with a connecting cable. I hate technology ;)

Glad to have crossed this thread. Did not know I could use my keyboard w. AD iPad. Will make many things easier.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 4 months later...

It would be nice to have some sort of on-screen nudge option.  Perhaps a video game D-Pad on the bottom context bar while the move tool is selected. That would be really nice to tap with the pencil. 

Something like this would be great!

nudge.jpg

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

1 hour ago, TonyO said:

It would be nice to have some sort of on-screen nudge option.  Perhaps a video game D-Pad on the bottom context bar while the move tool is selected.

You can swipe across the Position X / Y controllers in the Transform studio.

That works quite well :)

tx.png.e8dd66539668152b0962d491652015ad.png

I use those all the time, but when we refer to "nudge" we refer to a tap gesture that does a preset incriment of movement. Sliding on the X and Y are analog motions, and its hard to get (for example) and exact 1mm nudge in one direction. The equivalent is tapping an arrow key on the keyboard, which you can do if you have a bluetooth keyboard attached to an ipad, but you dont get this same precise tap to nudge with the pencil or touch.

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

25 minutes ago, TonyO said:

I use those all the time, but when we refer to "nudge" we refer to a tap gesture that does a preset incriment of movement. Sliding on the X and Y are analog motions, and its hard to get (for example) and exact 1mm nudge in one direction. The equivalent is tapping an arrow key on the keyboard, which you can do if you have a bluetooth keyboard attached to an ipad, but you dont get this same precise tap to nudge with the pencil or touch.

True, but you can tap on the controller and enter 1 mm or even 0.1 mm. Hard to be much more precise than that :)

• 4 years later...