You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to extract/separate a mask from an adjustment layer?

I love the "mask within adjustment layer" of Affinity Photo.

Often I add later additional adjustment layers and they should all have the same mask. A picture says more than 1000 words:

895277551_AffinityPhoto-Heuballen.psdModified(58.2)2018-07-2009-31-42.thumb.jpg.f5188cb0f041528810778cd8e1bd0bc1.jpg

For that, it should be possible, to extract the mask from it's adjustment layer and become a mask layer of its own.

If it's possible: I didn't find it how to to do so...

Appreciate any help!

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

Thanks! So, at the moment it would be a good idea not to use this feature but always work with a separate mask. This enable also such things like "Edit mask" etc.

698095951_AffinityPhoto-HeuballenModified(58.2)2018-07-2010-11-01.jpg.f491e03337e67f22a940a4ed46488961.jpg

17 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Roland Rick,

There is no way to do this I'm afraid. I will move this post to the Feature Requests section.

Thanks

Callum

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

35 minutes ago, Roland Rick said:

For that, it should be possible, to extract the mask from it's adjustment layer and become a mask layer of its own.

Not sure exactly why you want to do it this way but try this....

Select your black and white adjustment layer in the Layers panel
Click on the Channels panel
You should see an item called Black & White Adjustment Alpha
Right click on that and select Create Mask Layer
A new Mask Layer is created which you can use to mask other adjustment layers

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Ahhh, thanks, that's the workflow I was looking for. It can be done by Channels, just not directly by right click and finding this in a pop up menu. Thanks for help!

I want to do this if I decide to apply the exactly same mask in a later point in time not only to the initial adjustment layer but also to other ones.

34 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Not sure exactly why you want to do it this way but try this....

Select your black and white adjustment layer in the Layers panel
Click on the Channels panel
You should see an item called Black & White Adjustment Alpha
Right click on that and select Create Mask Layer
A new Mask Layer is created which you can use to mask other adjustment layers

Edited by Roland Rick
remove typo

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

Callum, the workflow from carl123 is fine, that's what I was looking for. Searching for such a function in a right click/popup menu, I always forget to check if I can do this by use of the Channels...

1 hour ago, Callum said:

Hi Roland Rick,

There is no way to do this I'm afraid. I will move this post to the Feature Requests section.

Thanks

Callum

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

11 hours ago, owenr said:

Also, if you simply cmd-click the Layers panel thumbnail of an adjustment object, then you'll get its mask as a pixel selection.

Yes, I know, but it's a few extra steps ;)

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography