You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export EPS with transparent background

Hello, 

I am trying to create a high resolution vector EPS file of a logo for a client to use for their commercial printing requirements. It has to be a vector file as it needs to be scaled for large display purposes without pixelating.

When I export as EPS, it just doesn't seem to create the EPS with a transparent background. Everything I try seems to have a white background. Is it possible to do this in AD?, (surely it is!) I am using the latest Beta version.

Please help!

Thank you

Hello,

I am opening a new document in Affinity Designer and putting a coloured background on a new layer, I then create another new layer on top of this one and go to file place and place the EPS I have made, but it is coming in with a white background.

Thanks for your help

;)

• Staff

When placing an EPS file in Affinity it treats it as a document and by default this document will not be transparent. If you just load the EPS file then it will be transparent. When loading and placing the EPS file into other apps then it is also likely to be transparent.

Hello,

today I draw a simple vector illustration (first time in AD) for further usage in InDesign (see attached file)Argentinien Bonbon.afdesign.

I exported the illustration as eps (several times). When opening the eps with InDesign or again with Affinity Designer the vectors are replaced by pixels. In addition InDesign shows a white rectangle behind the illustration.

Where's the mistake?

I really hope you can help and I'm looking forward for your answer!

Thank you.

When placing an EPS file in Affinity it treats it as a document and by default this document will not be transparent. If you just load the EPS file then it will be transparent. When loading and placing the EPS file into other apps then it is also likely to be transparent.

Why is it loaded transparent and placed (and interpreted) as document and so not transparent?! I think I do not understand this correctly: If there ist nothing = not a shape with a white background - why should it be interpretet as one? If document or not ... this seems very impractical to me. Sorry, I'm a little be confused about this :ph34r: cause in InDesign, ... it is correct with a transparent background.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

Hi meinbier,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have applied an FX effect to the whole layer forcing its rasterzation.

All FX effects are rasterized because they can't be translated in vector objects.

If you remove the FX the file should export as vectors.

Thank you very much for your support!

I removed all gradients and exported the file with success.

I will now finalize the illustration in InDesign or Illustrator.

• 5 years later...

Hi Guys,

I have made this logo using the pen tool and fill colours and erasing the layers on top of other layers. 

Yet when I export it as an EPS I get rasterisation. I have the EPS export settings set up correctly (i.e. to only rasterise the incompatible) but it still gives me white backgrounds. 

How do I make my purple shapes properly transparent?

Many thanks.

442731066_Screenshot2020-04-01at12_04_02.thumb.png.9d28ed811078780948b55302d605bfce.png

• Staff

Hi Yancy,
It's doesn't work for two reasons: 1. EPS doesn't support any kind of transparency. 2. You are also using a Blend mode to "erase" the overlapping shapes not  a true subtract boolean operation between shapes to remove the overlapping parts. Can't you export it as PDF (EPS is quite an old format). This would solve the transparency issue, however you still have to perform a subtract boolean operation for the overlapping shapes, since the Erase Blend mode isn't supported by PDF.

• Staff

Select the two shapes: the base one (which must be located below the one you want to remove in the layers stack) and the smaller you want to remove, then click the subtract icon in the Geometry section in the main toolbar (almost at the right end) or go to menu Layer > Geometry > Subtract. See clip below for reference. If you press and hold alt while you click in the subtract button in the main toolbar you create a compound instead (a non-destructive boolean operation) where the original shapes are still maintained intact (click the small arrow on the left of the compound in the Layers panel) to expand and access the original objects - you can still edit them and the compound will adjust accordingly to reflect your changes).

2020-04-01 12.26.31.gif

• 3 months later...
On 4/1/2020 at 5:25 AM, MEB said:

Select the two shapes: the base one (which must be located below the one you want to remove in the layers stack) and the smaller you want to remove, then click the subtract icon in the Geometry section in the main toolbar (almost at the right end) or go to menu Layer > Geometry > Subtract. See clip below for reference. If you press and hold alt while you click in the subtract button in the main toolbar you create a compound instead (a non-destructive boolean operation) where the original shapes are still maintained intact (click the small arrow on the left of the compound in the Layers panel) to expand and access the original objects - you can still edit them and the compound will adjust accordingly to reflect your changes).

2020-04-01 12.26.31.gif

I tried this, but any time I go to export, into a PDF for example, that part of the image is rasterized. I can't get it to export into a complete vector image! HELP! please :)

• Staff

Hi AnnaOSC,
Are you using any Layer Effects or an uncommon Blend mode in any of these objects? There's a few reasons why objects can be rasterised. Without knowing/seeing the objects/layer structure is difficult to guess what's going on. Any chance you can attach the .afdesign file for us to take a look? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.