You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Downloadable Affinity keyboard shortcut cheat sheets

Patrick Connor

On 1/31/2022 at 12:47 PM, arkeytekt said:

Does anybody know if a French version of the shortcut cheat sheets is available, by any chance?

You can use those, and I added the last part with shortcuts.

But there's some erronous shortcuts in the listing that should be corrected*... (some are impossible, some should be modified, etc.). It would be best if someone took the time to do this.
Perhaps on a long rainy day :)

On the keyboard pages, I added other keys modifier since some shortcuts are working using them, and it looked silly to just delete them.

2022-02-05_155214.png.c2d4a5aef3d26617c2dd3fea1abd544e.png

Affinity_Designer_Shortcuts_WINDOWS_fr.pdf

Affinity_Designer_Shortcuts_WINDOWS_fr.afpub

2022-02-05_155208.png.a1aa51b98fd6e5ae867242ed5bd83a41.png

Affinity_Photo_Shortcuts_WINDOWS_fr.pdf

Affinity_Photo_Shortcuts_WINDOWS_fr.afpub

2022-02-05_155223.png.a39bbdd6cf355e017f100be15778a7fd.png

Affinity_Publisher_Shortcuts_WINDOWS_fr.pdf

Affinity_Publisher_Shortcuts_WINDOWS_fr.afpub

* They are from the start in the online help I copied, and I couldn't check each one of them.

PM or post here if you find an error.

• 1 month later...

Why is the word 'cheat' used?

Is it necessary to associate helpful information on how to achieve results to be described as associated to the malpractice and possibly criminal activities of those who cheat other people by holding back key information, deception and using false instruments?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

The term "cheat sheet" simply comes from the practise of allowing students to use reference sheets in exams. It has no connection with dishonesty, it is simply a means of accessing standard information without the necessity to remember by rote large amounts of basic information which is only needed occasionally. (Such as numerous keyboard shortcuts, many of which you rarely use.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

@PaulEC Thank you for replying.

It just seems to me that the use of the word 'cheat' is unnecessary and just adds a touch of grubbiness to it. Associating a helpful article with slyness by using the word 'cheat' within it seems to push helpfulness into the gutter.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

41 minutes ago, William Overington said:

@PaulEC Thank you for replying.

It just seems to me that the use of the word 'cheat' is unnecessary and just adds a touch of grubbiness to it. Associating a helpful article with slyness by using the word 'cheat' within it seems to push helpfulness into the gutter.

William

I stumbled over the same misunderstanding that cheat sheet has a negative meaning. But language is evolving, now this is a common term for something useful and is in no way any longer bound to the negative meaning. Similar to malware / anti-malware. Anti-malware is something useful even it contains the term malware. Context matters.

We hat similar misunderstanding before when someone used „trouble child“ and another user mis-understood this to be applied on him personally (instead of the technical cause for the issue)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheat_sheet

As reference cards[edit]

Main article: Reference card

In more general usage, a crib sheet is any short (one- or two-page) reference to terms, commands, or symbols where the user is expected to understand the use of such terms but not necessarily to have memorized all of them. Many computer applications, for example, have crib sheets included in their documentation, which list keystrokes or menu commands needed to achieve specific tasks to save the user the effort of digging through an entire manual to find the keystroke needed to, for example, move between two windows. An example of such a crib sheet is one for the GIMP photo editing software.[4]

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

15 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

I stumbled over the same misunderstanding that cheat sheet has a negative meaning.

I did not misunderstand the intended meaning.

I simply think it wrong to grubbify an article intended to be helpful by using a word associated with misdirection, deception and criminal activity.

I am put off using the article as a source of information because of use of that word.

I accept that views on this may polarize, and poles are poles apart, yet that is my opinion.

21 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

But language is evolving, ...

Yes indeed. sometimes to add new words to compactly express new ideas, or to concisely explain in one word what otherwise would take a whole sentence each time to explain. I have coined some new words myself, one of which is now included in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Yet when a different meaning is added to an existing word, sometimes backwashing to distort the meanimgs of earlier uses, or some people conflate the distinct meanimgs of two words to become synonyms causing confusion.

For example, some news broadcasts treat the words 'company' and 'firm' as synonyms. They seem to try to avoid using the same word twice.

The word 'contemporary' has also had its meaning distorted to often be regarded as meaning 'present day'.

William

11 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I simply think it wrong to grubbify an article intended to be helpful by using a word associated with misdirection, deception and criminal activity.

The phrase ‘cheat sheet’ is no more than an example of a literary device, somewhat comparable to describing ‘a zoot suit with a reet pleat’. That aside, looking up something that you might be expected to remember can quite reasonably be called ‘cheating’, despite the fact that there’s no criminal activity, misdirection or deception involved (unless you try to pretend that you didn’t have to look it up).

19 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Yet when a different meaning is added to an existing word, sometimes backwashing* to distort the [meanings] of earlier uses, or some people conflate the distinct [meanings] of two words to become synonyms causing confusion.

*Looking up ‘backwashing’ leads to descriptions of water treatment, which is clearly irrelevant here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

a crib sheet

I thought this was a covering on a child's bed! 😁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

to achieve results to be described as associated to the malpractice and possibly criminal activities of those who cheat other people by holding back key information, deception and using false instruments?

I think this is a little bir too strong for whar seems to be simply an help file... that I would translate as an "anti-sèche".

When students don't have a flow of answers for a question, we say they are "dry", or they dry... "sécher". It's in the commun language, a little bit familiar, when not being able to answer, answer that need to be developped or that need a little bit of knowledge.

So, we call cheat sheets "anti-sèche". Humorously, the few I did while student had me reading and sumarising the lessons, and memorising what I didn't wanted to learn. Using this in our adult life is more a "clin d'œil", (a wink, to denote humour), since we have a harder time to memorize shortcuts, and the humour is also in the fact that despite the name, we're allowed to "cheat" today using those files.

Nice app, @v_kyr. I'm impressed that it handles all those different layouts, languages, and OSes.

Can it also be tailored to account for a user's personal shortcut settings? If so, that would be even more impressive.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Can it also be tailored to account for a user's personal shortcut settings?

Yes that's possible. It's just some matter of work, a corresponding user has to do by editing/adding the personal shortcuts themself. - All related mapping data is hold inside editable/changable JSON text format files.

Samples of english/german localized JSON files for Affinity Photo for Win/Mac keyb layout ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 6 months later...

"One Tool to rule them all, One Tool to find them, One Tool to bring them all and on the desktop bind them."
     --This Tool's description 😉

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2