You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello I'm trying to use artboard rulers guides like objects, I mean like selecting them, grouping them, aligning them etc, something that I have found very useful on other software I'm using.

For example I want to divide the artboard with rulers guides so I could just place 5 rulers and select them and then align them to artboard with distribution tool.

It is not a deal breaker but I could love to see this functionality in designer.

Edited by nitro912gr
I meant guides, not rulers, sorry

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

...something that I have found very useful on other software I'm using.

Can you show a screenshot or two of what you're describing, and the names of the software?

I've long argued that rulers are one area in which 2D drawing software in general does a very poor job of matching the simple utility and efficiency of the pre-computer physical tools they metaphorically emulate. In my case, I'm comparing to the freely moveable, rotatable "track drafters" attached to drawing boards commonly found in engineering departments. (The closest software approximation I've seen to that is Lazy Nezumi Pro.)

But I'm not quite sure how to envision what you're describing. Literally "using rulers like objects" sounds like something I could do by actually drawing a set of rulers to accurate scale, storing them as Symbols, positioning, aligning, locking them on the page, and snapping to the nodes of their increments.

JET

On 7/21/2018 at 5:01 PM, JET_Affinity said:

Can you show a screenshot or two of what you're describing, and the names of the software?

I've long argued that rulers are one area in which 2D drawing software in general does a very poor job of matching the simple utility and efficiency of the pre-computer physical tools they metaphorically emulate. In my case, I'm comparing to the freely moveable, rotatable "track drafters" attached to drawing boards commonly found in engineering departments. (The closest software approximation I've seen to that is Lazy Nezumi Pro.)

But I'm not quite sure how to envision what you're describing. Literally "using rulers like objects" sounds like something I could do by actually drawing a set of rulers to accurate scale, storing them as Symbols, positioning, aligning, locking them on the page, and snapping to the nodes of their increments.

JET

what you describe is closer to how the rulers work in autodesk sketch, what I want is how the rulers are selectable and can interact with the objects in the artboard, like it happens with  Illustrator (and in some level inDesign too).

In those programs you drag a ruler and you can select it like an object, you can group rulers with other rulers or objects, align rulers to objects or the artboard or just select some specific ones or all together and press delete.

For example:

Screenshot-2018-07-23-11.28.gif

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

no actually it is my bad, I confused what I meant to say because I pull the guides out of the rulers.

Current Workstation: