Raymond Larabie

Vanishing node handles in Designer

This is a tough one because I haven't figured out how to reproduce it...it just happens one in a while. When I go to edit nodes on a shape using the node tool or create a new shape with the pen tool, the mode handles, which normally look like circles, are gone. I can still grab and move them but they're not visible. When I close Designer and restart it, the node handles are back. Am I accidentally hitting a key combo that hides the node handles? Has anyone else had this happen?

Hi Raymond,

Unfortunately we've never seen this before, have you had it happen any more? Would it be possible for you to do a screen recording showing the application in that state please? Also what is your machine OS and specs?

Thanks!

The closest I can get is the node circles shrinking if I press C for the Corner Tool, but they’re still clearly visible on my Windows 10 laptop.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.3 (iPad Air 2)

Hi! I don't have a solution yet, but I wanted to add I'm having the same problem. I've been having it for a while, it started right after I bought Affinity Designer a few months ago. I am the definition of an amateur when it comes to this stuff, please bear with me.

I'll have something selected, and I'll be dragging to resize it, or I'll be rotating it, or messing with the nodes in general and it's like it freezes for a millisecond and I can no longer see the nodes or the things you grab to resize. (I'm so sorry, I'm not very fluent in graphic design language, I don't know what anything is called and I've been teaching myself how to use the software - I hope I'm making sense.)

I recorded my screen while I messed around with some lines, and it only took about 4 minutes for it to happen. The only way I can get the nodes back is saving, exiting, then coming back in. It doesn't seem like anything triggers it, I've had it happen while I mess with curves, when I resize things, or reposition them, anything that involves the little nodes, it doesn't discriminate.

I know next to nothing about graphic design, and less about programming and everything, but the only thing I can think of to suggest to fix it would be an option to refresh the nodes to bring them back? Or something.

I just wanted Raymond to know it's not just him! I'm getting it too.

The video is fighting me. Hopefully you can see it.

@randamon Yes! That's exactly what happens to me.

I didn't record it because it happens pretty infrequently and I haven't figured out a pattern to it. I don't know how to trigger it to happen again. It happens once or twice a week. I'm using the current release of Designer in Windows 10, 64 bit, 8 GB. The docs I'm working on are relatively light...not many layers and no overly complex geometry. Always different fonts.

I've noticed it happening more recently. It's not just the nodes, its everything that isn't an element in your design - say you have a rectangle. That's all you have in your drawing. When this "thing" happens, the rectangle stays, but that's it. You can resize and rotate it, but you cant see those nodes. You can select it, but it doesnt get the blue outline indicating that it is selected. Your grid and guides disappear. If you try to draw a curve, you cant see any of the pick points to manipulate it. If you have snapping on, you can't see any of the red/green lines that show where you're snapping to. You can still do stuff, but it you want any semblance of accuracy, you need to save, exit, and reopen the design. 

I want to bring up the freezing again, has anyone else experienced it? It's like when a program auto saves and seizes for a moment before you can do anything again. This ALWAYS happens before the nodes disappear. I'm starting to get very familiar with it, this happens 1-4 times EVERY time I design something. I'll have to try screen recording again, sorry the video doesnt work!! I'm technologically incompetent and I'm doing my best. 

Also, I've yet to find a trigger for it. It seems to be random for me. I can leave my computer for a moment to do something and I'll come back and my nodes will be gone. I really do wonder if it's something to do with like an autosave type of thing, because I've had affinity crash on me (multiple times) and I'll reopen it and I'll be prompted to reopen a design that wasn't closed properly, so there has to be some kind of auto save/backup thing.

Edited by randamon
Forgot to mention the last bit.

I have always been able to fix it by closing and reopening the drawing - I don't usually close out of affinity designer completely. But I usually have multiple drawings open at a time. So I just close that specific tab and then reopen it. It's funny to me that when the "thing" happens, it doesn't affect all my open drawings, just the tab I'm currently in. (Which again leads me to believe this might be an autosave thing, since that drawing is the only one where things are changing, vs the other drawings I open for reference and haven't modified so they don't need to be saved.)

On 10/12/2018 at 5:38 PM, webcat said:

ok, I just finally witnessed my nodes/handles disappear and all I was in the act of doing when it occured was holding shift + ctrl to attempt to constrain my image as I resized it, now I no longer have nodels or handles for anything. hopefully this info helps Serif find a fix, are you listening serif? please?

Hi Webcat,

I've just tried this again and unfortunately I'm still unable to reproduce this. I've tried holding Shift+Ctrl down when resizing images and objects, but I can't get it to happen! Unfortunately without any steps to reproduce, there isn't much we can report to development. Ideally we would need to get a video recording of your entire session to find out what you're doing that might be contributing to this!