You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I have not yet purchased, nor even taken up the offer of the 10 day trial as I want to know for sure that my Canon 77D camera (have a Sigma 18-300mm lens too) is supported by Affinity for Windows. Neither the camera nor lens are listed as being supported but think it will actually work ok. Are there plans to add this kit into the Affinity supported gear? If so, is there a timeline / release date? What drawbacks will I face with a) the camera & b) the lens not being supported? I currently use Canon's DPP & having an unsupported lens is a real pain as I can't make any lens corrections.

Julie.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks First Defence!

I've seen both of those lists & neither camera nor lens are listed. They are both relatively new (2017 I believe) & I think these lists pre-date the releases so am wondering what the ramifications are for having neither camera nor lens listed there.

When will there be future releases of the SW that will include both?

We have no idea what cameras Affinity Photo might support in the future, nor when. Similarly, we have no idea when the outside team that maintains the lensfun database might include the Sigma 18-300 lens (it does not show on the lensfun current list of supported lenses either, that I can see, and that list should at any time match or be a superset of the current list supported by Affinity Photo).

With neither the camera nor the lens on the support lists, I can't predict the results you'll see with your camera. There are, I think, two aspects:

1. Reading of the raw files at all, and if they are read proper interpretation of the data.
  2. Handling lens distortion, etc.

Point 1 is probably the more critical of the two. If Photo won't read your raw files at all or seriously misinterprets any of the data, you have no way to get it to process them without some kind of external conversion process into a form that Photo does understand.

Point 2 may be annoying, but depending on the amount and kind of distortion you may be able to do those adjustments manually.

If you're sure you're going to be using that camera and lens, availing yourself of the 10-day Affinity Photo trial seems like a good approach for you to take.

Note, too, that you could calibrate your lens using the instructions on the lensfun site, and submit your calibration to them for inclusion in their database in the future. That increases the chances that Affinity Photo will support that lens someday, especially as the Sigma 18-300 is also not yet listed as being in the "development" version of lensfun.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Also, I just noticed your other posting about this where someone tried an image from a 77D and it worked, so perhaps the only question is about the lens. Still, trying the trial seems like the best approach.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks Walt. Yes, it seems that Affinity will read the RAW files ok so that's a start! I can see what happens with the lens distortion during the trial & know that one day it will probably be included so will follow your advice re the calibration details, thanks !

I notice on your closing info that you ahve a 16gb processor. Do you know if Affinty's a memory hog? I have Windows 7 & 8gb processor (for now) & DPP is ridiculously slow & hangs a lot!

Thanks

Julie.

2 minutes ago, juliep said:

Do you know if Affinty's a memory hog? I have Windows 7 & 8gb processor (for now) & DPP is ridiculously slow & hangs a lot!

Sorry, I haven't done any studies of that. Other users or someone from Serif would have more info than I.

-- Walt
PC:

You can use Resource Monitor in windows 7 to get some Memory data on all the apps and system resources running in the background, There is also a neat app called Process Explorer that may help you narrow down your memory issues.

Something else to consider is what Antivirus do you have? have you recently installed an Antivirus program, I've seen high memory and system lockups as well as app lockups from running 2 Antivirus programs concurrently.

Other programs that could be considered resource hogs are Skype, Web Browsers - depending what you are doing with them, Torrent Clients and Malware. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions