You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quickly click and drag to duplicate FX

I would add that this feature doesn't work very well in photoshop if you have tabs open. It would be even better to be able to copy and paste effects.

Hold Command click and drag an fx from a layer to another layer. Photoshop has this function as well. 

Thanks!

I would add that this feature doesn't work very well in photoshop if you have tabs open. It would be even better to be able to copy and paste effects.

I disagree. It works very well in Photoshop. I'm sorry to hear that you experience otherwise.

Can you explain how it differs with multiple tabs? Are you dragging across the wrong opened tabs that's giving you problems?

jycreative.dunked.com

15.4-inch 2014 MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display

+100

The best UIs allow the user to do the same thing using multiple avenues... When I'm working with a tablet, I want the UI to cater to that input device, likewise with touchpad, keyboard and mouse... So ideally every UI control can be accessed with any of these input devices and can exploit the strengths of each input method... copy and paste works great for keyboarding, but when I'm on a tablet, the last thing I want to do is reach for the keyboard, that's why modifier + drag and drop is so great for mouse/tablet input...

Unfortunately for Apple's sprouting line of Pro software, once the iPhone goldmine struck, Apple shifted all its brilliance to that platform and left Aperture and FCP to prosumer status and maintenance upgrades for the most part... FCP fared better than Aperture. There is a goldmine to glean from Aperture's UI and Workflow (DAM for creatives, Compare "persona," Lightboxes for layouts, web and book publishing, projects, etc). Apple had to publish Aperture before the copycats at Adobust launched Lightroom (after owning the market with Photoshop) and only supplying the slow, useless Bridge to their customers which is nowhere near what Aperture supplied in functionality. The keyboard equivalents, the loupe, the pioneering use of non-destructive editing, software GPU exploitation, even the UI input fields and more are great time savers and deserve serious consideration from the UI team at Affinity.

Aperture has one of the best Pro level and adaptable UIs around... I'm gonna write a post when I get some time next week and hopefully inspire the Devs to revisit Aperture's innovations... I hope Photos grows up to be Aperture 4.0 someday, or better yet, that Affinity DAM does to Lightroom what APhoto will do to Photoshop...

Great work guys!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Hold Command click and drag an fx from a layer to another layer. Photoshop has this function as well. 

Thanks!

I think you mean OPT+Drag?

OPT+Drag is also consistent with how objects are duplicated on the canvas, and I hope one day in the sidebar.

PS: What do you guys think you achieve by posting +100? There is a Like This button, I think using that is better for everyone; less thread clutter.

I totally agree that there needs to be a better way to copy an fx.  The shift+cmd+V is currently the only way to copy an fx and it copies too many things to be very useful.  

There also needs to be a way to turn off and on the visibility of all the fx of a layer at the layer level.  Like PS's shift click on the layer's icon.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

I achieve the joy and bliss of expressing that I wholeheartedly agree with the post, lol... What do you achieve by clicking on the Like This button?  :P 

PS: What do you guys think you achieve by posting +100? There is a Like This button, I think using that is better for everyone; less thread clutter.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

Yes, we also need a master switch to turn FX on and off from the layers palette to compare. Having to open up the layers palette and uncheck all FX is a pain...

You have to have the tabs separated in an individual window and then drop. It's very cumbersome. Perhaps they changed it in CC or it is different on OSX.

Dragging within the same file is easy, it's just the dragging to a different document where it becomes annoying.

I disagree. It works very well in Photoshop. I'm sorry to hear that you experience otherwise.

Can you explain how it differs with multiple tabs? Are you dragging across the wrong opened tabs that's giving you problems?

You have to have the tabs separated in an individual window and then drop. It's very cumbersome. Perhaps they changed it in CC or it is different on OSX.

Dragging within the same file is easy, it's just the dragging to a different document where it becomes annoying.

I would not suggest you drag fx across different 'files' or 'tabs' that is quite an unusual way to work.

I would suggest you copy one of the layers with the desired fx to another 'file' or 'tab' first. Then start duplicating the fx. This would be much easier to handle and faster.

Hope this helps.

jycreative.dunked.com

Yes, we also need a master switch to turn FX on and off from the layers palette to compare. Having to open up the layers palette and uncheck all FX is a pain...

I agree with Gear Maker and ronnyb, switching FX on and off is quite useful. 

Now it's up to Serif...

jycreative.dunked.com

+100

The best UIs allow the user to do the same thing using multiple avenues... When I'm working with a tablet, I want the UI to cater to that input device, likewise with touchpad, keyboard and mouse... So ideally every UI control can be accessed with any of these input devices and can exploit the strengths of each input method... copy and paste works great for keyboarding, but when I'm on a tablet, the last thing I want to do is reach for the keyboard, that's why modifier + drag and drop is so great for mouse/tablet input...

Unfortunately for Apple's sprouting line of Pro software, once the iPhone goldmine struck, Apple shifted all its brilliance to that platform and left Aperture and FCP to prosumer status and maintenance upgrades for the most part... FCP fared better than Aperture. There is a goldmine to glean from Aperture's UI and Workflow (DAM for creatives, Compare "persona," Lightboxes for layouts, web and book publishing, projects, etc). Apple had to publish Aperture before the copycats at Adobust launched Lightroom (after owning the market with Photoshop) and only supplying the slow, useless Bridge to their customers which is nowhere near what Aperture supplied in functionality. The keyboard equivalents, the loupe, the pioneering use of non-destructive editing, software GPU exploitation, even the UI input fields and more are great time savers and deserve serious consideration from the UI team at Affinity.

Aperture has one of the best Pro level and adaptable UIs around... I'm gonna write a post when I get some time next week and hopefully inspire the Devs to revisit Aperture's innovations... I hope Photos grows up to be Aperture 4.0 someday, or better yet, that Affinity DAM does to Lightroom what APhoto will do to Photoshop...

Great work guys!

This guy knows his stuff! 

Thanks for the knowledge bomb. Drag and drop ftw!

jycreative.dunked.com

Ronny, by the time I get back to turning on the fx I have forgotten if I had only an Outer Shadow or did it also have an Inner Glow or was this the layer that had a 3D.  Basically when I turn it back on I'm just about starting over to apply the fx.  Then I wonder why it doesn't look quite the same as I remember.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra