You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move by n amount?

Hi everyone,

Im really struggling with the touch ui on iPad. If I have an object selected and want to shift it over 3 or 4 pixels either side, how can I do that without keyboard left and right arrow keys??

If I try to move it with my finger, it is impossible, as the selected object always moves up or down due to my unsteady hand ;(

Is there some kind of button which will move a selected object by 1 pixel at a time that I am not aware of?

Thank you all in advance.

High-End Photographic Prints

To move or resize an object by a precise amount, use the numerical controls in the Transform Studio.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks Alfred.

Everything is so long winded on a touch ui. I much prefer the desktop version. If only I still had a desktop computer ;(

I love my iPad, and I probably use it more than my Windows laptop now. Horses for courses, I guess.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I love my iPad too, but I can’t get used to not having keyboard shortcuts, and to having everything hidden due to limited screen space. I can’t find anything and it takes me ages to accomplish the simplest things. Hopefully I will get used to it eventually.

3 hours ago, DesignMeister said:

I love my iPad too, but I can’t get used to not having keyboard shortcuts ...

If you have a bluetooth or (for the pro models) an Apple Smart Keyboard, there are quite a few keyboard shortcuts available, like these for Designer:

553987932_designershortcuts.thumb.jpg.1dcccb3a4f7863e11293882de536388f.jpg

There is even a Tools preference for both Nudge & Modifier Nudge Distance. Designer help is not too clear on how to use them:

1478853984_nudgeshortcuts.jpg.eae735d4547d649605db66d313a05cb3.jpg

What I have found for my Anker BT keyboard is the Nudge distance setting works fine with its cursor keys, but I have not been able to get the modifier distance to work with any of the Anker's modifier keys. It may be different for the Smart Keyboard but it would be cool if they can work out a way for the modifier nudge to work with a BT keyboard.

BTW, a few keyboard shortcuts not listed above also work with the Anker BT keyboard, most notably ⌘Z & ⌘⇧Z for undo & redo, ⌘X & ⌘V for cut & paste, & a few others.

I am using this Anker Ultra Compact BT model. The white version is $22 US on Amazon; the black one a few dollars more.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

What I was wishing for in Designer for iPad was a little K button in the lower left corner. When you held the button a little keyboard would appear and you could then use all the keyboard shortcuts that way. You'd also have a little Command button which again when you held it down, the keyboard would come up and you could use Command A, or Command C, etc