You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resources Differentiation

Richard S.

Hi,

Is it possible that the resources forum could be divided into 2 categories, such as “Restriction Free”, whereby the resources can be used in commercial projects for financial gain, and another category such as “Limited Use”, for resources which are only for personal use.

I am asking because many people here create resources, but some do not state if there are any restrictions, which means that many professionals will probably not use them due to the uncertainty.

Thanks.

High-End Photographic Prints

• 4 months later...

It would also be good if there were separate areas for freebies and items which are being sold.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I think this section could become very awkward to use if we had separate sections for ‘free for commercial or personal use’ and ‘free for personal use only’, with (in each case) subsections for brushes, macros, styles, etc.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Why? Only 2 sections, and at least that way, people like myself and other designers would know if they can use them or not. I never ever use any resources from here due to not knowing the licensing terms.

With all the subsections it wouldn’t really be only two sections, and I forgot to include ‘available to purchase’ in the list. I think the onus is on the people offering resources to state explicitly whether they cannot be used commercially or can only be used upon payment of a licence fee.

Just yesterday I followed a ‘freebies’ link which was clearly aimed primarily at web designers, many of whom would be engaged in commercial work, but almost all of the resources (mostly fonts) were free for personal use only.

Alfred spacer.png

I agree, but most people offering resources never mention commercial licensing terms explicitly, that’s the problem.

4 minutes ago, DesignMeister said:

I agree, but most people offering resources never mention commercial licensing terms explicitly, that’s the problem.

I do understand where you’re coming from on this issue, but I think the best we can do is to encourage the explicit declaration of licensing terms and to contact the supplier if there’s any uncertainty.

Alfred spacer.png

Even when someone says the resources are free, it’s still ambiguous with regards to commercial projects for financial gain.