Richard S.

Resources Differentiation

Hi,

Is it possible that the resources forum could be divided into 2 categories, such as “Restriction Free”, whereby the resources can be used in commercial projects for financial gain, and another category such as “Limited Use”, for resources which are only for personal use.

I am asking because many people here create resources, but some do not state if there are any restrictions, which means that many professionals will probably not use them due to the uncertainty.

Thanks.

High-End Photographic Prints

I think this section could become very awkward to use if we had separate sections for ‘free for commercial or personal use’ and ‘free for personal use only’, with (in each case) subsections for brushes, macros, styles, etc.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Why? Only 2 sections, and at least that way, people like myself and other designers would know if they can use them or not. I never ever use any resources from here due to not knowing the licensing terms.

With all the subsections it wouldn’t really be only two sections, and I forgot to include ‘available to purchase’ in the list. I think the onus is on the people offering resources to state explicitly whether they cannot be used commercially or can only be used upon payment of a licence fee.

Just yesterday I followed a ‘freebies’ link which was clearly aimed primarily at web designers, many of whom would be engaged in commercial work, but almost all of the resources (mostly fonts) were free for personal use only.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

I agree, but most people offering resources never mention commercial licensing terms explicitly, that’s the problem.

4 minutes ago, DesignMeister said:

I agree, but most people offering resources never mention commercial licensing terms explicitly, that’s the problem.

I do understand where you’re coming from on this issue, but I think the best we can do is to encourage the explicit declaration of licensing terms and to contact the supplier if there’s any uncertainty.

Alfred online2long.gif

2 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I do understand where you’re coming from on this issue, but I think the best we can do is to encourage the explicit declaration of licensing terms and to contact the supplier if there’s any uncertainty.

Sounds like the best solution

I guessI am thinking along the lines of the old Adobe Studio Exchange.

It would need to be a separate site, not a forum, and searchable by category.

Website

iMac Retina 5K 27 inch Late 2105, 3.2-i5, 32 GB Memory, AMD Radeon M380 2048 MB

Maybe we can encourage using keywords on posts instead of making subcategories? Some projects contain brushes and macros, or brushes and textures? Same wirh free / to buy resources?

pilcrow.eu
 W10, i5 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 840A, Wacom Intuos Pro M
 iPad Pro 2018.  

Even when someone says the resources are free, it’s still ambiguous with regards to commercial projects for financial gain.