You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quick way to duplicate a layer

Hm, what does CMD+Drag do? Seems like it does the same as Opt+Drag? If they do the same, I would prefer OPT+Drag, and freeing CMD+drag to do something else.

Anyway, OPT+drag to duplicate anything anywhere would be nice; both in the sidebar and canvas - like FX, layers, objects. The ⌘+C  ⌘+V workaround is a solution for some of these, but not all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Soon?

Not having a button to duplicate a layer is quite an omission really.

So much of Affinity's layer control is done with the mouse in the layers panel. Dragging and dropping to make a mask, a clipping path, parent or child, group, new layer, adjustments, layer fx, mask layer, layer order, lock, unlock, hide, make visible, group, delete, opacity, blend mode, blend ranges etc but the one thing that is always done first (or should always be done first) is to make a duplicate layer. Yet, unlike all the other functions there is no button.

Odd   :rolleyes:

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Soon?

Not having a button to duplicate a layer is quite an omission really.

So much of Affinity's layer control is done with the mouse in the layers panel. Dragging and dropping to make a mask, a clipping path, parent or child, group, new layer, adjustments, layer fx, mask layer, layer order, lock, unlock, hide, make visible, group, delete, opacity, blend mode, blend ranges etc but the one thing that is always done first (or should always be done first) is to make a duplicate layer. Yet, unlike all the other functions there is no button.

Odd   :rolleyes:

I don't find it an omission, I use the keyboard as much as I can anyway, but for the time being, you can use a macro.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

I don't find it an omission, I use the keyboard as much as I can anyway, but for the time being, you can use a macro.

I presume you mean you can include a 'Duplicate' step in your macros. You wouldn't create a macro just to do something that you can do via the context menu in the Layers panel or by using a standard keyboard shortcut!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I presume you mean you can include a 'Duplicate' step in your macros. You wouldn't create a macro just to do something that you can do via the context menu in the Layers panel or by using a standard keyboard shortcut!

Like I said, I use the keyboard all the time but it seems toltec is missing a button to click so...

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

The great advantage of having Option + Drag available in the Layers list for duplicating layers: you can immediately set the position of the duplicate in the document hierarchy … it saves you the pain of duplicating first and reordering your document structure afterwards … it is these little steps that speed up or slow down a workflow …  :(

The great advantage of having Option + Drag available in the Layers list for duplicating layers: you can immediately set the position of the duplicate in the document hierarchy … it saves you the pain of duplicating first and reordering your document structure afterwards … it is these little steps that speed up or slow down a workflow …  :(

Wait, what?

Do you mean duplicating a layer in PS by dragging it over the duplicate icon?

If so, how do you set the position in the hierarchy?

Andrew
-

No, I mean:

• Press and hold the Option key
  • Click your layer in the Layers list and drag it to a different position
  • Instead of moving the layer, a duplicate will be created at the target position

Works in, well, the #2 vector editing app on the market …  ;)

No, I mean:

• Press and hold the Option key
  • Click your layer in the Layers list and drag it to a different position
  • Instead of moving the layer, a duplicate will be created at the target position

That's what I thought you meant, Alex! Since it's analogous to Alt/Option-dragging an object on the canvas, it would be a nice and intuitive way of duplicating a layer in the Layers panel.

Alfred spacer.png

I see,

I was reacting to AndrewDowns & toltec request of a button where to drag the layer in order to duplicate it and I thought you meant the same thing.

Andrew
-

Like I said, I use the keyboard all the time but it seems toltec is missing a button to click so...

Yes, it's a matter of focus. I have spent years working on sometimes hundreds of photos for a client. Having everything in one logical place where you can focus is a huge boost for productivity. As is shortcuts and macros at times.

Having set up several documents in Affinity so far, I

Create layers, add fill layers, mask layers, stack layers, move the layers, create groups before I start, all with the mouse. Then I am ready to begin my edit but, somewhere  in the middle of that . . I have to

1 move my point of mental focus from the layers panel to the keyboard

2 look at the keyboard

3 find the control key with my left hand

4 press the control key

4 move my right hand off the mouse,

6 find the J key with my right hand

7 press the J key

8 move my right hand back to the mouse

9 change my point of mental focus back to the layers panel

10 move left hand back to cup of coffee.

Then I have to drag the layer to it's place in the world

Finding the keyboard Ctrl key is sometimes a bigger problem than it sounds problem because my graphic tablet occupies the space where my keyboard would normally be so it means a bit of rearranging at times. 

Alternative method

Click on a button 

Now I don't know about you but I would find that much easier.

It's little things like that that make a big difference to professionals who have to work on dozens of files in one day. Believe me.

I'm sure it's just a matter of habits and preferences. I can understand you prefer to use mouse and icons and it's a legit request.

I deal with a lot of work in PS everyday and in my field being fast is never enough, and I couldn't be as fast without a keyboard.

I don't use AP for work, but at home I even added custom shortcut to create masks and do other operations.

I personally find having to click on the interface very distracting, probably because I focus visually on the canvas and I leave the operations to the keyboard which I find less visually distracting than icons and buttons.

Like I said, definitely a matter of habits, there's no wrong or right.

Andrew
-

I'm sure it's just a matter of habits and preferences. I can understand you prefer to use mouse and icons and it's a legit request.

I deal with a lot of work in PS everyday and in my field being fast is never enough, and I couldn't be as fast without a keyboard.

Don't get me wrong, I have always been a massive fan of keyboard shortcuts. I knew (the memory fades with age) dozens in several different programs. Especially Photoshop.

This is about workflow efficiency. When you set up a layer system before starting an edit you have to use the mouse, as I said before, but having to stop using the mouse in the middle for an entirely different type of operation that involves moving both hands and eyes is terrible for workflow.

Imagine typing and then every time you wanted a full stop, you had to pick up the mouse, go through a menu system to find "Insert a full stop". Common types of operation should flow together.

Still, I don't do enough these days to be that bothered. It's just a bad bit of design in what is an otherwise first class program. Despite using Photoshop for decades this the one thing that really bugs me, isn't that strange?

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to duplicate an object by holding down Command or Option *after* you have started dragging the object? 

Currently you have to hold Command or Option down *before* you select and drag the object to duplicate it. Coming from Illustrator, this is a slow and painful muscle memory to remove as you have to stop, undo, then start again (times one hundred).

I can see how Illustrator and Designer handle object movement differently, so this might be a big change. Here is an example of how it could work using the current (visual) drag method.

1. Start dragging object

2. Hold down Option/Command

3. '+' icon appears over the original (currently dragging) object and a copy of object re-appears at original location.

4. Release mouse button first and both get locked down. Release Opt/Cmd first and only the drag is applied.

Love your work :)

I too would like to be able to duplicate a layer by holding ALT and dragging it in the layers stack. At the moment the only way I know in Photo is to Select the layer, press CTRL+J, and then drag it where I need it in the stack which is slower, obviously. Such a simple addition but it will boost everybody's workflow sooo much more.

Affinity Photo 2.3.1 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• 4 months later...

I agree with aandy above. I too would love to be able to start dragging an object, and then midway decide whether I want to deposit a copy (if command or option is pressed) at the destination or just move it (key not pressed). That would speed up my workflow immensely, as I can't tell you how often I press the key too late and only move the object instead of copying it.

REALLY like your software, though!

11 minutes ago, amphioxus said:

I can't tell you how often I press the key too late and only move the object instead of copying it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find it particularly difficult or time-consuming to undo the move, copy the object at its original position, redo the move and then paste the copied object.

Alfred spacer.png