You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SVG Export - The output is a black box

23 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Who the hell is „dang“?

A (possibly) more polite form of another 4-letter word that begins with "da".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

But to be serious, Gary, I fear I hadn’t understood what your initial request was all about. How could you solve your problem by using Mystic Thumbs? Is that a thumbnail generator? How could this application solve your export issues? And how could it generate the desired thumbnail from your SVG files, when these files didn’t even contain the references to and the data of the images you had tried to embed? :o

Don’t get me wrong, I am happy to hear that it worked! But I just don’t understand why it worked … :)

Alex

11 minutes ago, haakoo said:

But the thumbs generated by ADesigner still don't show for the rest of us not using this third party program.

As a Mac user, I have no idea if this is relevant but in the Mac version in Preferences > General there is an option to "Save thumbnails with documents." If the Windows version has the same option & it is not ticked, maybe try ticking it & see if that makes a difference?

I have a few other apps on my Mac with a similar preference option. For all of them, as well as with any other document, I also have an OS level setting (in Finder, more or less equivalent to the Windows file explorer) to optionally show icon previews on a per folder basis. If this setting is not enabled, it overrides showing any thumbnails in Finder views, even if they are embedded in the document.

I don't know if there is anything like that for the Windows file explorer, but if there is maybe that is something else to check?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

So it seems the focus of this thread silently changed from empty “files” to empty “thumbnails” … thank you, haakoo, then the development of the thread makes sense … :)

Original Post: I've use Affinity for a while now, but suddenly when I export SVG, I get a "black box" as file.

Hey thanks all for the input.

Yes, it's the "Thumbnails" in Explorer that were not showing an image, only a black box.  But when we tested again and opened the black box in Chrome the image showed.  So we knew it wasn't Affinity!  Therefore, I looked towards the Dotz SVG Explorer extension as the culprit (Remember I said PNG is fine).  Because natively in Windows it's not common to view SVG graphics as image thumbnail, it'll normally show the application icon you have assigned to it.

Dotz from Google, seems that code is old and not working again (probably based off of Windows updates).  Then I downloaded Mystic Coder for my thumbnail default app, and I deleted Dotz... and it took over all thumbnail views in Explorer.  I had to:

1.  Delete thumbnail cache in Explorer

2.  Refresh all individual files that were still showing a black box, then Mystic reassigned the thumbnail preview to it's app... and it worked.

Sorry for the confusion, it wasn't Affinity.

3. If others have this issue download Mystic Coder: https://mysticcoder.net/

There's a 14 day trial and after that its 24.  I'm on the trial so after 2 weeks we'll see if it still works.

Yep, I had that selected.  It was the Google Dotz SVG Explorer Extension that was broken.  It just stopped working.  I think Windows update may have broke something.  The Mystic Coder worked!  I'm on the 14 day trial so I'll see if it holds, then I'll buy it.  I works for all my apps too!  Even EPS.