I'm a woodworker and I'm looking for an app that would allow me to do my dimensional drawings on my Mac.  I'm familiar with AD and AP,  as I've been using them to restore clock dials.  Is there an app that is similar to AD and AP that would do what I need?  I tried Sketchup, but had a hard time using it.

Hi Darita, I use SketchUp to design some of my projects and found that you need to watch the videos to get to grips with it. It is a weird app, a bit of a hybrid. Many of the Cad apps are very expensive, There is a Cad app called FreeCad that might want to look at.

There is also an app called LibreCad

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Dell Inspiron 17 5767 i7 Laptop Windows 10 - Illustrator CC, Affinity Designer/Photo, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Deco 03 Pen Tablet, 5 pages on LaunchPad - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

Hi, Darita,

I used Sketch-up extensively for years as part of my job. For what it did, it was remarkably easy to use. Not long ago, I d-loaded the free personal version so I could open some of my own files. I was surprised at how much I had forgotten.

I suppose you need to get a handle on the camera views, and perspective settings. It is basically a 3D app, and so the perspective needs to be off. Otherwise there will be a depth projection instead of plan/view/elevation.

To date, I haven’t come across anything easier to use, tho’ w.  bloat, its more complex now than a few years ago.

Does Sketch-up support .svg now? You could bring it AD files for dimensioning. don’t have access to my desktop just now, House is being re-wired, and I running off iPad

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Sketchup supports these non 3D file types
2022837777_ScreenShot2018-07-17at21_03_18.png.0456cb8e3f2c2df848441ff89403c851.png

I think you can export to SVG from an Extension.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Dell Inspiron 17 5767 i7 Laptop Windows 10 - Illustrator CC, Affinity Designer/Photo, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Deco 03 Pen Tablet, 5 pages on LaunchPad - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

22 minutes ago, InfoCentral said:

Sketch-Up is pretty expensive. How about a FREE alternative?

Perhaps SketchUp Free (web-based) or FreeCAD (which has a drafting module for 2D work). I don't have personal experience with either, though.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16.0GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 and 1.6.5.123 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104 and 1.6.5.123 Beta