You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to apply "automatic" lens profiles?

I posted earlier regarding the ability to select and apply lens profiles manually, but meanwhile started looking for a temporary "work-around" using the automatic corrections... however, when I open a raw file, the distortions are not corrected, or affected at all. Above the image, it shows the camera model and lens; "Nikon D600 (14mm f/2.8-1.4)", and above that it shows "RAW ISO100 f11 14mm 1/2s"... so it has the lens specs correct, but no mention of the Samyang brand (this lens is in the lensfun list that I found elsewhere in this forum: http://lensfun.sourceforge.net/lenslist/ ). FWIW, "Apply lens corrections" is on in the "develop assistant". Do profiles need to be downloaded and installed separately? Where are the lens profiles kept?

You should probably use the list of supported lenses that Serif shows in this forum, not the list shown on the lensfun site, as there may be updates to the lensfun list that are not yet incorporated into the Affinity products.

The official lens list for the Serif raw engine is here.

It shows some Samyang lenses, but I'm not sure if the one you have is one of them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi clfry :)

17 hours ago, clfry said:

Do profiles need to be downloaded and installed separately? Where are the lens profiles kept?

They don't, all profiles are kept within the installation files of Affinity and are not individually addressable, nor can you manually add to this list.

Could you please provide a copy of your RAW file for us to investigate?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks clfry!

Could you confirm the specific lens you are using?
I've looked into the metadata of the image and the lens used has not been saved here, which may be why it is not being detected by Affinity Photo, please see below:
image.png.41100cc34d5c5b009c48588d626986c5.pngimage.png.42054f59d1b5286cf094bc0d4bfb6187.png 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C the lens was a Samyang AE 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC the lens detail shows in Macs Preview Exif info 

1462322480_ScreenShot2018-07-19at20_08_11.thumb.png.542d183470c58a63cff80a66eb5e0423.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks clfry!

Could you confirm the specific lens you are using?
I've looked into the metadata of the image and the lens used has not been saved here, which may be why it is not being detected by Affinity Photo, please see below:

Taken from the list linked above:

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 AE ED AS IF UMC 1.0 yes yes no

Not sure. Exiftool (which Affinity uses) picks it up:

Lens ID                         : Samyang AE 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
Lens Spec                       : 14mm f/2.8-1.4 D

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff

Thanks for that guys. I've run the file through the latest version of Exiftool and received the following results:

Lens ID                            : Samyang 10mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS CS or Samyang AE 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
Lens Spec                       : 14mm f/2.8-1.4 D

I'm not yet sure if this is Exiftools issue or Affinity's, but clearly something is not being read correctly here. If Affinity is detecting the 10mm variant of the lens then this would explain why no lens info is shown, as the 10mm is not supported. However there are clearly issues with reading/interpreting the metadata and it's implementation into Affinity, so I'll get this logged with our devs :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very interesting thread as it relates to an issue I have raised elsewhere in the forum.

I have examined the supported lens that are listed by Serif in the link above and one of my lenses that I frequently use is not listed, but when I load an image taken using that lens the information shows:

604705440_LensProfiles01.jpg.b4dd1781d37f4b0a12846c5799e0477e.jpg

This would appear to indicate that the software recognises the lens, but the question remains - does it apply a lens profile to the image? This also might suggest that the list of supported lenses is greater than that which has been published.

Any comments?

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

Part of the problem still remains - why should the end user have to check this out when it would be much simpler for helpful information about this to be included within the software package? Additionally, surely one of the moderators or the staff at Serif know the answer to this which could help all users of the siftware. Why have they not provided the answer?

If the answer is that lens profile corrections are not applied automatically, then might this be included within a future release? Part of the aim of such forums is to provide ideas for development, not to find work rounds for missing item.

One of the staff members, Dan C, responded on July 20 that he would log the issue with the developers for further analysis. When more is known they will provide more details.

In the meantime, I think it's safe to say that if the camera properly reports the lens, and exiftool reports it properly to Affinity Photo, and the lens is in the current lensfun database under that name, and you've told Affinity Photo to apply lens corrections automatically, they will be applied.

But until the Serif staff figure out what's going on, you'll have to use a procedure like the one owenr suggested if you want to be sure.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, anisah said:

Part of the problem still remains - why should the end user have to check this out when it would be much simpler for helpful information about this to be included within the software package?

What would be the point of that? As it is now, there are only two options available to users, automatically applying lens correction for supported lenses or not applying them. It might be useful if users could manually choose from among different lens profiles, but that is not currently possible, so either way all that really matters is what the results look like, whether done automatically by the software, manually by the user, or by a combination of the two.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi @anisah :)

The context toolbar shows the "lens type", ignoring the Lens ID, however the Lens ID is what we use to apply automatic lens correction, if available.
This means currently that the lens could show in the context toolbar without it being supported, and without any lens corrections being applied.

I do agree with you that Affinity Photo could show whether lens correction has been applied (perhaps in the form of an icon on the context toolbar?) and this has been requested on our forums previously here and is something our devs may add in the future.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Further to my comment this morning, I have received an update on our developer log regarding the initial report.

The issue has been fixed and should be avalaible in a coming beta build, pending full release.
@clfry I'd recommend keeping an eye on our beta forums and checking the changelist for implementation of this :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

9 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @anisah :)

The context toolbar shows the "lens type", ignoring the Lens ID, however the Lens ID is what we use to apply automatic lens correction, if available.
This means currently that the lens could show in the context toolbar without it being supported, and without any lens corrections being applied.

I do agree with you that Affinity Photo could show whether lens correction has been applied (perhaps in the form of an icon on the context toolbar?) and this has been requested on our forums previously here and is something our devs may add in the future.

Thank you very much for your comments, they are very much appreciated.

Part of the issue is that it if you identify "Lens Correction" in the panel and make sure that there is a tick in the box it merely gives you access to a number of sliders and other adjustments, eg Chromatic Aberration, Defringe, Lens Vignette. It does not show whether any adjustments have been applied automatically. Truth is that this does not help the end user at all.

Hopefully this can be addressed in a future release.

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2018 at 4:10 AM, Dan C said:

Further to my comment this morning, I have received an update on our developer log regarding the initial report.

The issue has been fixed and should be avalaible in a coming beta build, pending full release.
@clfry I'd recommend keeping an eye on our beta forums and checking the changelist for implementation of this :)

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem - AP detects lens (it is listed in the window title), lensfun library is installed, but Develop Persona lens tab shows gray check box and (none) under Lens Profile selection.

P.S.

Also, may be better to have a manual selection from installed profiles?

• Staff

Hi qwz :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Could you please provide a sample RAW file to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/0qhnewITdkQU8cpEpp3n

2 hours ago, qwz said:

Also, may be better to have a manual selection from installed profiles?

This is currently possible in the Photo Persona and our developers are looking to implement this in the Develop Persona in a future update!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your file, I can see the following lenses are supported in the LensFun database - SAL1635Z2, SAL2470Z2 & SALF0F14Z - however your SAL24F20Z unfortunately isn't supported currently, hence the app is detecting no lens correction profile.

Could you confirm the other lenses you are having issue with please?

Please note -

Many thanks!