You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which ipad model should I get for the best performance of using Affinity Designer?

Hi, everyone ~

I'm a new user of Affinity Designer here. I bought the Desktop version and now I'm thinking of buying the ipad version. I'm also getting a new ipad. I may have a question about the ipad model and how much storage I need to get in order to get Affinity Designer run smoothly:

I know it works on ipad air 2, but I will prefer to purchase the most current released model of Ipad pro just because it's almost certain that for any graphic and heavy design work creation, I can't imagine ipad air 2 can handle any good performance on that. I know for sure I will have to buy an Ipad Pro. So now I'm struggling in between if I should purchase Ipad Pro 256GB? or 512GB??

I read an article and I pasted some useful information here ~ it says:

https://www.imore.com/what-ipad-storage-size-should-you-get

Apple and developers can do a lot these days to keep apps slim and trim, but as programs increase in complexity, you may find your iPad slowly filling up on 600MB updates and 2GB game packs. This is especially true if you plan to use an iPad for any graphics-intensive process — whether that involves artwork creation or rocking out to the latest version of Monument Valley.

• If you don't have a ton of apps or games on your iPad, 32GB or 64GB can work.
  • If you have a fair number of apps and games, consider 128GB or 256GB.
  • If you plan to do any graphics-heavy design work, get a 512GB model.

Since vector file size is way smaller than raster file size, running Affinity Designer to do complicated vector art shouldn't be a problem on Ipad pro. Now it's just about the price ~ if 215GB is more than enough to handle heavy vector graphic creation work on Affinity Designer, then it should be my first choice; since 512GB is more expensive. 

Any suggestion would be appreciated :)

Thank you <3

• Staff

Hi Chunzi,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you intend to use Affinity Designer just for pure vector artwork then the 256GB is enough for your needs. Note however that you may want to take advantage of its ability to use raster based brushes for shading vector objects, use images as references, or as textures/masks for blending with vectors etc which will increase the file size.

• 1 year later...

What if I had an ipad pro 64gb and used an external drive for my file handling? I'm trying to understand why anything 256 ( or 128gb) or greater is suggested when that has nothing to do with ram. which typically is one factor for how smooth programs can run. So could a 64gb tablet work fine.

On 12/2/2019 at 1:32 AM, Ricardov said:

What if I had an ipad pro 64gb and used an external drive for my file handling? I'm trying to understand why anything 256 ( or 128gb) or greater is suggested when that has nothing to do with ram. which typically is one factor for how smooth programs can run. So could a 64gb tablet work fine.

If all you used your iPad for was Designer then 64GB would be ok, however once you have an iPad and you start to realise all the other things you can do with it, you will start to wish you’d paid that bit extra in my experience.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help