You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking questions - editing and copying?

Greetings

I have recently purchased Affinity Photo for Windows, and I have been going through tutorials and coming up to speed in its use.  So far, I am impressed with the product.   My questions are mask=related.

1. I opened a previously edited and saved file that includes several layered edits, including a High Pass sharpening filter which I applied to an area of the image that I selected using the Selection Brush Tool.  If I recall correctly, I made the selection on the pixel layer, then added the live HP sharpening filter, which then reflected the mask in the small thumbnail on the Layers window.  I unnested the filter and moved it to the top of the layer list,   Anyway, when I went back to the file several days later, upon zooming in on the HP filter layer in normal blend mode, I could see that I was missing some of the intended edges of the masked area, due to some sloppy editing on my part.  I then tried several ways to edit the selected area to capture the areas that I had missed, but when I opened the Selection Brush Tool, it only wanted to start creating a new selection, not edit the previous one.  Is there a way to edit a mask in a previously saved file?

2. I also decided I wanted to make some level adjustments to this same masked area.  However I could find no "copy mask" function that would allow me to conveniently apply the mask from the HP sharpening filter, to a new "Levels Adjustment" layer.  Is there a way to do this in a previously saved file?

I get the impression that these masked selections are "baked in" to the layer when the file is saved, and cannot be edited or copied.

Regards, HDJeff

HDJeff

Keep on truckin'

keep on truckin 2.jpg

• Staff

Hi @HDJeff,

Welcome to the forums. 

Have a look at this tutorial. It's similar to what you're doing. As for the mask, you can simply copy and paste that mask, or duplicate it and move it to a different layer. A mask's just a grayscale layer.

If you want to edit that layer later, you can always go back go the clipping mask, and paint with white/black/gray and adjust it accordingly. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Gabrielt

Thanks for the feedback.  I have watched this video previously, and it was very informative.  I actually found out how to save a pixel selection to a spare "channel" , where it is available for future edits to  the file it is saved in.  It can be loaded to a pixel layer, where  it can then used as a mask  for adjustment layers.  It was a bit hidden for me, since I wasn't familiar with the channel concept.

Regards, HDJeff

HDJeff

Keep on truckin'

keep on truckin 2.jpg