You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My Smashing Magazine article was out last Wednesday, coinciding with the presentation of the new tools Serif showcased at the first Affinity Live: Affinity Designer for iPad and Affinity Publisher. 
I had the honour and luck to be there with them and to be sponsored to create this detailed tutorial:

"How To Create A Flat Vector Illustration In Affinity Designer."

If you want to learn how to create this, check it out, and please, whatever your questions, ask there in the comments section on the article itself. Thanks!

PS - Source file is provided for you all to explore :)

Here the link: https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/07/flat-vector-illustration-affinity-designer/#top

Cheers all and hope you enjoy it. 

beetle_isabel.png

Hi Vincenet! That's fantastic! 

Thanks a lot for showing it here, I really love to see the results and the efforts of people after following a tutorial.

I don't have an iPad, so I'm not sure how different the actual workflow was in the making, I guess not too much? 

Really good yeah, really good!

15 hours ago, IsabelAracama said:

Hi Vincenet! That's fantastic! 

Thanks a lot for showing it here, I really love to see the results and the efforts of people after following a tutorial.

I don't have an iPad, so I'm not sure how different the actual workflow was in the making, I guess not too much? 

Really good yeah, really good!

Thanks for your reply.

There is almost no difference in the workflow, the two applications are really similar. 

1 hour ago, Vincenet said:

There is almost no difference in the workflow, the two applications are really similar.

The tutorial is very well laid out and easy to follow, but one difference I encountered straight away is that I couldn’t find a ‘Create Palette from Document’ option in the iPad version, which meant that I had to add the fifteen colours one at a time. There is also no hexadecimal mode for colour values, so if you want to use exactly the same colours as Isabel used in her tutorial you have to convert the values FE8876 and E1C372 to their decimal equivalents (254, 136, 118) and (225, 195, 114): it isn’t difficult, but the conversion is an extra step and you have to enter the R, G and B components separately instead of being able to put them in as a single block.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 7/22/2018 at 10:58 AM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

The tutorial is very well laid out and easy to follow, but one difference I encountered straight away is that I couldn’t find a ‘Create Palette from Document’ option in the iPad version, which meant that I had to add the fifteen colours one at a time. There is also no hexadecimal mode for colour values, so if you want to use exactly the same colours as Isabel used in her tutorial you have to convert the values FE8876 and E1C372 to their decimal equivalents (254, 136, 118) and (225, 195, 114): it isn’t difficult, but the conversion is an extra step and you have to enter the R, G and B components separately instead of being able to put them in as a single block.

Great info Alfred! Great info! 

I was writing now an entry on Medium about some of the ppls results, and would love to include this bit. I will of course quote you all.

Thanks for letting me know!

43 minutes ago, MEB said:

Nice to see some of the results being posted here/in the article. Really shows what people have learnt from it and how they can push it further with their own tidbits/creativity. Great tutorial Isabel.

Thanks a lot Miguel, I enjoyed a lot doing it as I enjoy seeing results - and I enjoy even more when people tell me they got to do soemthing they thought they wouldnt be able to do haha, that's even better. Kiss! Beijinhos!

22 minutes ago, IsabelAracama said:

Kiss! Beijinhos!

Ooh, not just any old kisses! Little coconut kisses!! xD

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Ooh, not just any old kisses! Little coconut kisses!! xD

Trying to practice my "not-as-good-as-I'd-like" portuguese here with Miguel, ahaha... Besitos, baci, beijinhos, küsschen, kisses, bisoux , φιλιά, petons, and stop, can't say it in any other language haha.. I think... or not that i can remember now ^^