Sign in to follow this  
smallreflection

Node and move tool selection options?

Giving Affinity Designer a go on a few client projects—mostly, it's performing beautifully. Yet occasionally, after a bit of work, the node and move tools seem to go inactive.

I have two or three groups of layers and a few individual layers. It's only occasional, but I'm hitting points where clicking doesn't even seem to select the layer group. I'll click around with the selection and direct selection tool and it makes no selections unless the layer is directly selected in the Layers panel.

Hi smallreflection,

That is the default behaviour for the Mac App Store version (1.1.2) until it is updated again. To select an object no matter the layer it's contained in, press Edit All Layers button on the bottom left of the Layers panel, otwerwise you can only select objects from the layer selected in the Layers panel as you discovered.

In the latest beta this now works the other way around: you can select any object from any layer without constraints by default. The same button on the Layers panel will now constrain the selection to the objects contained in the selected layer.

One follow up to this—I know I'm able to Cmd+Drag over objects with the move tool to select the object, but when using the node tool, the shortcuts displayed at the bottom of the window says to Drag to marquee select nodes, but for me that doesn't seem to be happening. With the layer selected, I drag over nodes with the move tool but am still only able to move the entire layer(s). With the layer not selected, dragging over them with the node tool makes no selections, even with Edit All Layers turned on. Am I missing something?

Could you do a simple screenshot of what the current state looks like and show whereabouts you're beginning your drag and what results you get? It's difficult to imagine what's going on and a screenshot might just help us get it :)

Actually, in the current beta so far this problem seems to have stopped for me! :) Now when I select a layer and drag over individual points with the node selection tool I can click on one of those active nodes and drag the multiple nodes that I selected. Maybe I was doing something wrong—not sure.

Sorry to return to this again—and my original question was more on clicking and dragging over vector nodes to select them, but I noted again recently working with some simple color swatch layers that it seems like the selection functionality is still a bit buggy or illogical.

Using the selection tool, I note sometimes that even with the "Edit all layers" button checked, layers with a closed (but not locked) group are not selectable unless I fish for the folder and open the group. Then, in instances such as the attached video, even with the layer group open the individual elements are not selectable when dragging around them. I'm not sure if that problem is happening consistently but it does seem illogical. Multiple layers are selectable with shift-clicking in these instances, but that's laborious. :)

layer-drag-selection.mov

Hi smallreflection,

You have to double click over one of the elements of the group on canvas first to enter inside the group. After that you can select the rest of the elements on the same group ⇧ (shift)-clicking on them.

Alternatively you can press ⌘ (cmd) and drag and marquee around the objects you want (no need to double-click to enter inside the group first).

Don't mean to be nitpicky—one more update on a selection issue (perhaps it's my finicky Magic Mouse). I managed to capture the occasional problem I'm having where just double clicking (I'm trying to be careful not to make any mouse movement) is actually making the view move, and sometimes is also making the object click move just slightly. So then the Option+Cmd+Click shortcut to drill down is actually duplicating the layer multiple times, because that perceived slight movement is being considered an Opt+Drag. I have smart zoom turned off to be sure double-clicking isn't messing things up.  B)

Here's a screen recording of the issue.