You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hole option in all shapes

Why not just substracting a circle from any shape?

Maybe I should be more specific. When I said hole I ment a hole in the shape of the object, not an circle.

Now it would be nice to have an dropdown where you could choose which shape you want to subtract, but also maybe a little too much to ask for.  ;)

Maybe I should be more specific. When I said hole I ment a hole in the shape of the object, not an circle.

Now it would be nice to have an dropdown where you could choose which shape you want to subtract, but also maybe a little too much to ask for.  ;)

I thoght exactly like this. Not a circle but same shape.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

I see. I usually use inner outline and then expand the stroke. But since there is a problem with corners being cut I get your point.

Mikeintosh

You can set the value at which the corner gets cut with the "Miter" input field from the stroke panel on the context toolbar.

Thanks for that information, completely overlooked it.

Anyway I think the inner outline and expanding curve is the way to go with the hole thing

Mikeintosh

You can set the value at which the corner gets cut with the "Miter" input field from the stroke panel on the context toolbar.

I see. I usually use inner outline and then expand the stroke. But since there is a problem with corners being cut I get your point.

An hole option is just a much more fluid workflow, also it is worth mentioning that it is nondestructive, and everybody likes that.. Am I right?

In CorelDRAW you just select two overlaping objects of any shape and use Weld, Combine, Substract, Trim, Intersect... to get one object with differet results.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Yes, I know. I just want to explain to Paekke and the others.  :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I'm not talkning booleans or compounds, I'm simply talking about making the shapes a bit smarter thats all.

So to sum it up. It's not what Affinity can do, it's how we can make it faster and with more options while keeping it simple and clean.

Btw, I think they should get rid of the rounded rectangle, and stick with the handle on the rectangle.

There is always a workaround, but nothing beats the joy of using a well crafted tool... I agree with Paekke that having a parametric control for an inverse or hole made of the master Shape would round out an already amazing tool!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

That way you can make symetrical shapes (rectangles, circles...). What about freehand drawn shapes?

I'm not talkning booleans or compounds, I'm simply talking about making the shapes a bit smarter thats all.

So to sum it up. It's not what Affinity can do, it's how we can make it faster and with more options while keeping it simple and clean.

Btw, I think they should get rid of the rounded rectangle, and stick with the handle on the rectangle.

I agree with rounded retangle... I was actually wondering about that other night... on the beta we have a corner tool, and a rounded retangle that does basically the same thing... I would have a handle (those red dots) in all shapes, and corners - making it available from Node Tool and then get rid with corner tool... more like Illustrator CC way.

The hole thing would be intersting as well... I feature unique compared to its competitor... it woud be nice being able to set a hole, even funnier if we could edit its hole, changing its rotation, size, sides, etc. Good idea! Peakke! :)