You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move the Crop Tool boundary with keyboard arrows and make special keys available during Crop

I really want to move from PS to Photo because of the amazing price and features, but there's so many small details in PS that Photo and other apps don't have.

It's really strange that we can't move the crop boundary with the arrows.

Also, in PS you can modify the behavior of most tools with Ctrl, Alt, and Shift. In Photo, those keys do nothing with the Crop tool. We should be able to resize from center with Alt and constrain proportions with Shift.

For the Brush tool, we should be able to modify size and hardness with Ctrl and Alt. Again, make the keyboard as useful as the mouse. That's one reason why PS is where it is. Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Yes, please enable this. It's still not possible in Photo 1.7 Beta

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

I'm in the same position as at OP - I'd love to switch over but there's so much one would lose. Yes, using arrow keys while cropping is super helpful. The Photoshop crop tool controls also look better - they don't appear like a simple vector rectangle slapped onto the image. And at least on Windows the missing hardware acceleration in Aphoto totally spoils the performance of the tool. In PS there's no way to make the crop tool stutter.

And this left me wonder what the general challenge is with a crop tool performance...

I mean albeit the change notes of PaintShop Pro 2019 talks about big performance improvements for the crop tool on my system in comparison to PSE 12 and APhoto it's super sluggish.

I'd love to hear from a dev what's so hard about getting this right in general. I seem to lack imagination what has to be considered implementing one.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471