You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I'm looking for a better replacement of Paintshop Pro with more advanced features, downloaded Affinity Photo and it looks great, except that I'm missing one major feature. Most of work I do is to apply simple correction (crop, levels, straighten) of a series of photos. So opening from a file open dialog, to work on it and save is not an option. Is there a way to create a desktop similar like PSP X6, with a "film stripe" on a side to pick a photo, apply corrections and go to the next one? Just like on below screen.

Thanks

psp.thumb.PNG.bcf046d0cf8bcd5ad701275c0cac2c2a.PNG

• Staff

Hi Peter99,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's no similar feature in Affinity Photo for Windows. The best you can do is open a Windows Explorer window with the thumbnails visible and drag them from there over the Affinity Photo main toolbar (if you already have another document opened) or over the Photo application window (if there's no document open) to quickly open them.

Hey,

Thanks for the answer. Opening 30 jpegs just killed my PC, so I guess I'll have to stick to PSP and use Affinity for more advanced tasks only. Maybe that would be a nice new feature? I'd really like to get rid of that buggy PSP.

I have Photo as my default image editor, so when I want to process a batch of image files, I will either:

• Double-click on an individual file in Windows Explorer, which opens just that file in Photo. I can repeat this to open other files.Or:
  • Select a group of images (control-click), then right-click and select Open.

I tend to process files individually or in small batches (less than six).

You are using PSP as a DAM (digital assets manager) Affinity are thinking about prouducing a DAM, but only thinking about it. You can emulate a DAM by having an explorer window showing just  a single row of icons at the bottom of your screen, with Photo occupying the rest. Or you could use a free DAM (such as Irfanview or Faststone) and tell it to open the files in Photo.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I've been using PSP since version 7 (and even v 4 on someone else's PC), and I've still got 8 and X6 on my laptop. But I've been using Serif software for donkey's years, and when AP for Windows came out in beta I gave it a whirl -- and eventually bought it. I haven't looked back! Like MEB and John, I keep an Explorer window or two open to select files for editing, and it works very well.

The only thing I miss is PSP's script facility. AP's macros are pretty powerful, but not as versatile. But the advantages far outweigh the very few drawbacks.