You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove white?

Hi everyone,

I have probably around 100 png files, which have a transparent background with a small black grunge stain in the middle.

When I import or place these files into Designer or Photo (6th generation 2018 iPad 9.7 inch), they have a white background, which means I keep having to set the blend mode to multiply, in order to make the white background disappear.

Can anyone explain why they open ok in Photoshop with a transparent background, but Designer and Photo insist on making the background white?

Am I doing something wrong, or does Designer and Photo not support transparency for some reason?

Any help in solving this issue is appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

High-End Photographic Prints

What’s the colour/bit depth of these files? Can you share an example here?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

No idea - how do I find out the bit depth?

Come to think of it, I’m not sure I don’t know how you find out the bit depth on an iPad!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Oh dear, I just tried a few other images and the transparency is working fine.

I think these 100 or so files must actually have a white background - I must have forgotten to remove it in photoshop :(

Therefore, my question now needs to be - is there a way to remove the white background, without having to set the bond mode to multiply?

I will open each file separately, but have no idea how to turn the white background transparent ;(

Arghhhhhhhh :(

If you have Affinity Photo (desktop/mac) you may be able to batch process using a macro to remove the white backgrounds but unable to tell for sure unless you upload one or 2 of them

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Only have Photo and Designer on an iPad at the moment.

I have 58 files which need the white background converted to transparent, so I am happy to open up each individually, but I don’t know how to make the white transparent??

I will try that. The files are stored on iCloud, so I would like to open them from iCloud, make the edit, then save them back to iCloud overwriting them.

Is it best to OPEN from iCloud or IMPORT from iCloud, in order to overwrite the original files?

Thank you for your help!

Thanks.

Im having serious trouble getting used to this touch ui.

I have opened the image, changed to the selection persona, then tapped on the flood selection tool.

However, I have tried tapping on the white area, and also dragging my finger over the white area, but nothing happens?

Plus, besides that problem, I can also not see any delete button anywhere?

Things are so much easier on a desktop :(

I only have one layer, called background, which is the file I am trying to edit.

Ok,

I think the file I was trying to edit was a bit too complex, as it was a dust file, and a bit hard to disguinguish between the white background and the grey dust.

I have just opened a different file in Photo, which is almost all white with a solid black splurge in the center. I now have all the white selected, but I can’t find a delete button anywhere, apart from the layer’s trash can icon

Hellllllllllllpppppp meeeeeee :)

• Staff

Hi DesignMeister,
Tap the screen quickly with two fingers simultaneously to display a pop-up menu and select Delete (make sure the layer is selected first).

You can also use Blend ranges to remove the white from difficult images like the dust image you mentioned. Select that layer, tap the ellipsis icon on the top of the Layers Studio then tap the Source square on bottom. Tap over the graph line near the right end to add an additional node to the graph then drag the end node on the right to the bottom to remove the white. Adjust node's positions as necessary to refine the removal of the white/transparency around the edges.

This is what I get

PNG image.png

Ouch!

Ok, I have finally managed to remove the white :)

One last question, It makes sense to now make the canvas smaller, so that it is just around the small black splodge.  I have clicked on the document icon at the top left, then on resize, but I do not get any resize handles to make the canvas smaller. I can see the 2 dials which are for resizing, but when I change them, I cannot see the canvas resizing, so it is impossible to see when the canvas is small enough.

So near, yet so far :(

This is absurd, I feel like crying.

When I select File > Canvas > Clip Canvas, absolutely nothing changes. No resize handles, no dials, nothing.

When I click on transparent canvas from the same menu, the background goes back to white again.

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeaming :(