MRivera

Aff.Photo corrupts Sony .ARW images when using Serif Labs Raw Engine

Using Affinity Photo Version 1.6.7, Sony .ARW raw files are corrupt upon opening. Portrait oriented files have the top 10-20 pixels at the top becoming corrupt; landscape oriented files have pixels on the right hand side corrupted. DNGs made with DNG converter from the same .ARW file, open with no issue. Other programs (Adobe Photoshop 6, Adobe DNG converter, Capture One, DXO Photo Lab etc.) open the same file with no corruption. This occurs when using the Serif Labs raw engine. When switching to Apple (Core Image RAW) engine, and restarting the app, the image opens with no corruption.

I will use the Apple engine until you can fix the issue. What are the trade offs in using one engine over the other?

Thanks, Mike

Hi MRivera,

Welcome to the Affintiy Forums! It sounds like what you're seeing is the full uncropped camera data. The Serif Raw engine shows the full data from the sensor which is why it might look corrupt. The Apple Raw engine doesn't do this which is why you're not getting it with that. The easiest way to check is to look at the Context Toolbar on opening and note down the pixel dimensions with both raw engines. With the Serif Labs one you will probably see an extra 10-20 pixels either side.

Thanks Sean,

Yes, I see the extra pixels. Question is, why show extra pixels if they are corrupt or unusable? Is it the RAW converter not handling the extra pixels properly, or the image coming off the camera? 

And what are the differences between the Serif raw, and Apples raw, as far as features go? Am I losing any features (aside from the extra pixels) using the Apple converter?

Thanks in advance!

Hi MRivera,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Serif Labs RAW engine (our own) lets you turn lens corrections and noise reduction on/off. Usually you want to have both turned on as they improve the image quality. The Apple RAW engine applies lens corrections (and other adjustements) automatically to the image. We have no control over that and other parameters since this engine is developed/maintained by Apple and included with macOS. Notice the Lens Corrections and Noise reduction dropdowns are disabled/greyed out when you select this engine in the Develop Assistant.

Regarding the difference in pixel size the Serif Labs engine doesn't discard some data that the camera manufacturers think might be unreliable as most softwares do and the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine does. We display the full frame data without cropping anything leaving the decision to crop the unwanted areas to the user. On same cameras these areas can still be useful (no major issues), on others they might be partially usable.

Thanks for the detailed response,

I'm glad this happened because I also realized the files coming from my full frame camera were too small. It appears that a setting deep in the menu which allows shooting with APS-C lenses was set to ON, when it should not have been. It's always been off, and I have only full frame lenses so I have no idea how it was changed. But changed it was, and even though these were uncompressed RAW (.ARW) files, they were less than full frame in size. So I am going to assume that my camera is the culprit and perhaps shooting APS-C sized images on the full frame sensor causes some corruption. I changed the setting back to OFF and tested some real full-size images, and they are fine. Huzzah!

So for anyone following the thread, I want to be sure to let them know it was my camera, not Affinity Photo that appears to be corrupting the edge of the images.

Thanks again,

Mike