You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I was building some fairly large panoramas in Affinity Photo today, pointed AP at 30-40 raw files and sent it on its way.  I was working on another (non-AP related) task when my C: drive filled up!  I had to scramble to free up some space.  Several programs I had started panicking on the low disk space, though I never saw a message from AP.  I ended up canceling the rendering of my panos to worry about it later.  When I closed AP, several gigs were cleared up on C:.  I have a larger data disk that I would prefer to be used for this type of temporary data, but I couldn't find anything in the settings pages that allowed me to change it.

Is there a setting for this, and if so, where?  Thanks!

• Staff

Hi glancep,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately there isn't currently an option to change the temporary data folder within Affinity. Even if the program is installed on a different drive from boot, the temp files will be written wherever your %appdata% is set through Windows, which is usually always the boot drive.

You can change this setting in Windows, but you then may need to re-install Affinity for the changes to take place, and do bear in mind this will therefore change your app data for all other programs on your system.

There is the option to create a symbolic link between the Affinity appdata folder and a location on a separate drive, but this may slow down the program and it has not been tested internally and therefore you may experience oddities with the software.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 years later...

Hi

I'd like to know whether it will be improved or not. Just tried do stitch panorama from several high-res photos and it took around 90GB of my system drive (and made it fulled), causing Affinity Photo not able to export and save. It would be great if there's a option to set temp or cache directory in Preference.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @Void,

Currently the workaround remains as above, you need to create a Symbolic Link in Windows if you wish to move your temporary data that Affinity uses.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

In case it helps, I provided specific instructions that worked for me using Affinity:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 12:46 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @Void,

Currently the workaround remains as above, you need to create a Symbolic Link in Windows if you wish to move your temporary data that Affinity uses.

I hope this clears things up :)

Hi, thank you. But I'm not so happy that this the solution. Can't be that difficult to set an additional path in a pro software 🙂

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Estelle- said:

Hi! Is there any news on this topic? :)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

No, you still need to use Symbolic Links if you want to move it, as I showed above.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

No, you still need to use Symbolic Links if you want to move it, as I showed above.

Thank you so much! :)

Okay! I did use your step by step guide, thank you for your help!
Have an awesome day!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

• 10 months later...

I'm on a Mac using Affinity Publisher with a large document I'm trying to bounce to pdf to proofread and am getting the same issue. Surely there is some way I can move the cache to an external drive rather than having it gobble up 60gb and more of space on my system drive whilst creating the pdf?

32 minutes ago, amergin said:

I'm on a Mac using Affinity Publisher with a large document I'm trying to bounce to pdf to proofread and am getting the same issue. Surely there is some way I can move the cache to an external drive rather than having it gobble up 60gb and more of space on my system drive whilst creating the pdf?

As this is an older Windows topic, it might be better for you to post a new question in the current Questions forum. 

-- Walt
PC: