You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Requesting pdf version of online guide for affinity photo iPad

I just bought affinity photo iPad. The online guide is very hard to read for me (and I suspect for other visually impaired users).

The guide doesn’t support dynamic text settings nor pinch to zoom nor copying text into notepad  so I can make a summaries .

Also the mini movie clips move too fast for me to follow or to enlarge.

Please provide an Alternative version of the online guide, thank you 

Please watch the accessibility teaching clip of the worldwide developers conference just recently held. These two Apple engineers really get it about accessibility issues.

• Staff

Hi meitnik :)

Unfortunately we don't have a PDF version of the help guide. I'll pass your comments through to our documentation team to ensure we do all we can to make Affinity accessible to everyone. 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Well that’s nice to hear. However should I have to wait six weeks six months or year for a simple PDF that should have been thought of when this product was being developed. Granted you have tutorials for me to watch but that is not the same thing as having a comprehensive and easily readable manual. I hope  Serif wants to make a welcome mate for disabled Artists.  Yes it takes time, yes it takes some effort, but you are helping us have a more powerful tool to express our creativity.  I and many others are getting tired of having to fight over and over for companies to put real effort to support accessibility. Please,  be a leadership example on how a graphic design app can support accessibility. Thank you but I can’t wait forever 

• Staff

For the time being you can switch on a Zoom functionality for your iPad. Under General > Accessibility there is the option to enable 'Zoom'. (You may already know about this so apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!)

Here you can enable a Zoom gesture which works anywhere on your iPad, as an on-screen magnifier. Once the option has been enabled, simply double tap with three fingers on screen to bring up the magnifier. Triple tap with three fingers to bring up further settings for the magnifier, such as zoom level and lens size.

You can use this tool to magnifier the text in the help files of Affinity, I appreciate it is not as intuitive as pinch-zooming but I hope it is a viable workaround for now :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Yeah sucking eggs something Many disabled folk do often.

Please understand that zoom  is not a one size fits all answer for us who are visually impaired. Even Apple in the worldwide developers conference session acknowledged that zoom is not always the right answer. Apple has spent a good deal of engineering effort to offer dynamic text api tools so developers can provide better support us who are visually impaired.

Why would you need to use 8 point white text on a black background for an online guide? Nor give me an option to read the text black-and-white.

• Staff
11 hours ago, meitnik said:

Yeah sucking eggs something Many disabled folk do often.

My apologies if this upset you, it's a common phrase that many people use and was not meant as an attack

I don't believe that zoom is always the answer, I was simply suggesting it as a workaround for the time being, as we don't have any further accessibility options built into the app currently.
I understand your frustration that our help guide does not currently suit your needs, and I apologise on behalf of our developers and creative decisions for that.

I have passed your comments through to our documentation team who take inclusivity seriously and will certainly look into pinch-zooming, text size settings and being able to inverse the colours but I can offer no guarantees as I do not make such design decisions personally.

Please note -

Many thanks!

@meitnik Something you might find useful (if tedious to do) is to make screenshots of the help topics, at least for the ones you are most interested in reading. They will be placed in the Photos app by default, but you can send them to a desktop computer if you have access to one. This will allow you to enlarge the topic (& on an iPad to avoid having to navigate back & forth between a document you are editing & the built in help).

Taking the screenshots in portrait orientation gets more of the longer topics into a single screenshot, but it still may be necessary or desirable to stitch together two to get everything into one file.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

So how hard is it to make a pdf version of affinity photo (designer) ipad manual? 3 yrs ago I had to go around and round over a pdf version of an expensive workbook you sold. I would think that experience and my emails then about accessibility would be a teaching moment to consider digital disabled artists. Last time I was told it was hard due to in-house publishing tool that did not or was hard to do pdf export; really! Size of the manual is not important; share it via dropbox. Using high quality screenshots are important too.

A Pdf version of a manual either inside the app or downloadable has been around for over 25 yrs -- and blessed by Apple! Btw the many accessibility improvements to the macOS online help guide was due to me and other disabled users over many years. No, I should not have to work so hard to "earn" access to a manual for an app I paid for. " I apologise on behalf of our developers and creative decisions for that."; thanks, but an apology is only as good as the actions that follow in a timely manner. We disabled artists hear an apology often but then making us wait years. I am not here to fight but to create art with your app.

@meitnik Have you tried any of the accessibility features built into iOS to make it easier for you to read the built-in help?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...